1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My HID bulb replacement on my 06 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by windstrings, May 26, 2008.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I see what you mean about the D4R not having that band that tends to block light.
    Since I haven't tried them I can't say.
    I wonder if they allow light to hit in areas not desired?.... Like in the oncoming traffic eyes even when on low beam?..

Like I say.. I haven't tried them.... let us know if you like them better after you've used them a while.

I don't know if they illuminate more or not....but I know length does matter, as the exact location of the arc is critical for the reflector to work right.
    Yes, you can have the bulb in there anywhere and it will work but you may lose your throw if the bulb is not the right length... at least the arc located the correct distance from the back of the reflector housing.

Any given reflector is designed to work with a certain bulb so that the source of light "arc of light" is the center of attention so that the reflector throws as much light as possible in the desired spread pattern and given throw into the distance.

Generally, if the source of light "arc" is too close to the front, you get more spill and less throw,..... if located too far to the rear, you get more throw and less spill.

There is always and "optimal" spot to get both..

Only saying this so folks will not just think they can throw anything that will fit into the reflector housing as all bulbs are not created equal even thought the wattage may be the same.

2. seftonde

seftonde New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello Windstrings,
    I see you posted an excellent, detailed message on headlight replacement, although it was a few years ago. I think you also said that it was for 2006 prii.

I have a 2007, I am just about to turn over 100,000 mi and for the last few months I've notices intermittent headlight outages. Both lights, usually turning them off and back on will bring them back.

I'm ready to do the DIY option as you detail, I'm not afraid of breaking into my front end, especially given that some quotes on this forum seem to go over $1000 for a dealer to do it.

QUick questions - do you know if the (my) 2007 is similar in disassemble? Also, do you know if the lights you recommended (below URL) fit 2007 as well as your 2006? e.g. the 4300K HID Xenon Kit blubs OEM D4R or D4S.

at: NEW 4300K HID Xenon Kit Bulbs 2 Bulbs OEM D4R or D4S - eBay (item 350223394948 end time Jan-19-11 11:46:44 PST)

Many thanks - and thanks for such a great post!

Daniel

3. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not sure if its exactly the same... but FYI!!!!!!!

Toyota is getting sued over this issue and it willing to help to some degree.

But at any rate.. it should be similar..... I would ask the dealer or download the manual to see for yourself.

Maybe someone else will chime in to confirm.

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Toyota have settled. Free replacement through 5 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, for 06-09. $150 per bulb + labor for dealer installation if over 5/50,000. Paying the dealer is still a ripoff.

For not too much more than the generic bulbs in the ebay listing, you can get name brand Philips D4R on Amazon for $55 each.

5. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So since Toyota is paying 150.00.... does that mean the dealers will try to raise the price back to what they were originally wanting causing the customer to still have lots of money out of pocket?

That "+ labor" part is the problem.

6. seftonde

seftonde New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Alan,

Since I posted that I received the bulbs and, following your instructions, replaced them with no problem. They work great; I can definitely see a difference in brightness as well.

I got a class action lawsuit letter about the HID lamp replacement. However, as a previous poster stated, there is a 50,000 mile limit. Since I just turned over 100,000 I figured I was out of luck.

However, I can't really say 'out of luck', with your post, 80 bucks in bulbs and part of last Saturday afternoon I am all set!

Daniel

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    yea.. Daniel, that wasn't much of a lawsuit.. but I guess it covers the gross obvious malfunctions......While HID was supposed to last a very long time, it is silly for them to simply say they are a maintenance item and so not covered under the warranty......

Toyota is still not doing the right thing.. only what the lawyers are saying must be done and no more IMO.

Glad the instructions helped.... while not as slick as replacing Halogen, its not too painful once you've done it a couple of times.

8. snowmentality

snowmentality New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My husband and I just did this replacement on our 06 Prius, and your instructions here really helped. Thank you so much for writing this up.

I agree -- it was a pain in the rear, took us 2 hours and a lot of swearing for the passenger side bulb -- but it can be done by non-experts. And I bet it will be much easier the second time, since we learned how the pieces go.

9. unterhausen

unterhausen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My dealer wanted $260 to replace the bulbs, which is better than a lot of dealers. I decided to go with the Phillips bulbs from Amazon. I could probably do the job in 1/2 or so now that I know what I'm doing. The only problem with this theory is that I was fumble-fingered taking out one of the relays, it went flying, and I had to use a borescope to find it. And then it took a while to get it out of its hiding place.

10. snowmentality

snowmentality New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <br />
    <br />

Well, today we tried to do the driver's side. Neither one of us could budge the black plastic back of the light assembly on that side. We tried garden gloves for extra traction, wiggling it to loosen it, and putting constant force on it for as long as we could manage. The angle is tighter on that side, so it's harder to get good torque. After an hour we gave up and called our mechanic (Wasp Automotive in Durham, NC -- highly recommend them if you live around the Triangle!)

They said they'd have to take off the bumper and remove the whole headlight assembly. Then they said that would be half an hour of labor, and it would cost $64. (Not including the bulb -- we'd bought a pair on eBay for $40 total, so they just installed the bulb we had.) I know Wasp charges fairly -- if they say it's half an hour of labor to do it by taking off the bumper, then that's how long it really takes.

This proves to me that the dealerships who want to charge ten times that amount (as several people here report they do) are totally egregious.

So I would recommend to others: Buy a pair of bulbs online. Try following the instructions in the initial post of this thread.

If you really, absolutely cannot do it, then take the car and the bulbs to an independent mechanic, and expect to pay them for a half-hour's worth of labor.

Under no circumstances should you pay several hundred dollars for this job. That is just a giant rip-off.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, I had a hell of time w/the passenger side when I tried to replace it w/o removing the bumper cover. I posted about it at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...d-tank-trying-replace-passenger-side-hid.html. I ended up having to partly pop off the bumper cover.

and
    helped a lot.

I didn't call around but if I had a garage that charged me $64 to do it, I'd have gone w/that instead my many hours due to problems.

12. jveatch

jveatch Junior Member

My headlights exhibit this same intermittent turnoff problem. Until recently it was always the left light, and I could turn it back on by cycling the switch. But now both left and right lights do it simultaneously. I'm suspicious about the problem being the light bulb since they go off together. What else might be the problem?

13. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It is almost always the bulbs, 99% of the time. The failure mode is unlike standard bulbs. Just make sure that you get the right replacement, D2R for 2004-2005, and D4R for 2006-2009.

14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My 06s still have intermittent problems.
    I just keep putting aftermarket bulbs in but the fix doesn't stay long.

I talked with the dealer prius mechanic and he says toyota released info that says "do not" replace the ecu.

He says when he puts in genuine toyota bulbs they last about 2 years..... Hummm
    $150.00 bucks a piece.... Rediculous!

Is there anyone out there that can vouch for the toyota bulbs who has also tried the aftermarket bulbs that can say the Toyota bulbs make the difference?

Aren't they all made mercury free now?
    What could be the big difference other than price?

Alan.. Sent with Tapatalk 2

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    2k1toaster posted Not all HID Bulbs are created equal | PriusChat.

I would think Philips D4R directly from Amazon, not some random 3rd party reseller selling on Amazon should be ok (Headlights...WHY so expensive...any alternatives?!?!?! | PriusChat).

can't remove washer fluid tank, trying to replace passenger side HID | PriusChat was when I changed mine. It's still holding up but not quite at 2 years. I'm still on my original driver's side bulb though. I have a tad under 70K miles now.

Attached Files:

16. amjohnson

amjohnson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What hid bulbs do you recommend knows days from amazon or ebay my 2008 toyota prius that I brought in April this year the passenger side headlight was out and back on again yesterday so I started read the thread can anyone help my find so bulbs thanks

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not really one for harping on about grammar and punctuation, but your posts are a bit hard to fathom. Is it too much to ask to throw in the odd period here and there?

This is what I think you meant to say:

"What HID bulbs do you recommend nowadays days from Amazon or eBay? On my 2008 Toyota Prius, that I brought in April this year, the passenger side headlight was out and back on again yesterday. So, I started to read the thread. Can anyone help me find some bulbs? Thanks."

I apologise if English is not your first language, but some punctuation would help immensely.

18. amjohnson

amjohnson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Are you going to help or not???

Second of all I used the talk button because it is faster and easier then typing when you are dyslexic thank you very much.
    Yes please can someone recommend hid headlights for a 2008 toyota prius from amazon or ebay?

19. amjohnson

amjohnson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five

20. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    cwderna's post #195 still stands. Real Philips brand D4Rs work well. Anything cheaper is just a hassle.

cwerdna likes this.