1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My HID bulb replacement on my 06 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by windstrings, May 26, 2008.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow, drug up a whole thread! Yeah hid term is abused just like HD all true HID bulbs will have a high voltage ballast.
    They will be long and skinny with a metal rod running alongside the outside of the bulb instead of short and fat with an inside filament like a halogen

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They can Do it pretty fast

3. R3PB

R3PB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Premium w/ Solar Cells
    So I just finished replacing two HID bulbs on my 2006 Prius, touring model. In reality, the only piece I needed to remove was the fuse box cover. Full disclosure: I'm about 5'6", not too heavy (tho I'm a good 30 lbs over my 18-year-old weight), and probably had that advantage (it also comes in handy when I fly). I simply twisted off the covers (don't use tools or try tapping on the fins with something) about 2 inches counterclockwise, slide them aside, twist off the silver plugs (I used a small mirror on the end of an extending rod to view the wire bails), pulled free and released each side of the bail, then pulled the light straight out. Be sure to note the position of the two indents on the bulb's flange, to make it easier to place the new bulb straight in. I didn't need to remove any other part, except for some wiring sockets on the passenger side.

It took about 30 minutes. If I did it again today, it might take 15.

Good luck!

4. R3PB

R3PB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Premium w/ Solar Cells
    Update, 7/25/17: One of the lights was inserted cocked, so I took it out and straightened it. I had forgotten to mention above that on the passenger side, I removed the air intake vent to allow better access to the cover. I popped the plastic clip on the passenger side, popped the vent clip, removed the vent, rotated the cover to open it, straightened the bulb, and replaced everything. Probably took five minutes.

5. Sethybrid

Sethybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Alan, I'm wondering roughly how long these fixes worked for you, and also if you ever got your ballast replaced (I've read elsewhere that this could be the root issue, and that's what my mechanic is advising we target). I've got an '09 with the passenger side HID failing, and would definitely rather avoid/postpone replacing the ballast if that's a relatively sustainable option by just replacing bulbs.

@R3PB I'd also be curious to hear how your '06 replacements held up back in the day, since you were the last to post about some success :)

Thanks!