1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My HID bulb replacement on my 06 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by windstrings, May 26, 2008.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you did it in 15 min you should go work for them!.. thats outstanding!

2. webstir

webstir New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced my HID last night since my driver light kept winking out. Once I replaced the bulbs with new ones the passenger started to wink out with the new bulbs and then on the way to the grocery store both went out - luckily I had fog lights or I would have been in trouble. Any ideas what could be the problem? Is it the computer circuit you think? It is strange because I never had the passenger light/or both until I changed the bulbs......

3. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 07 has had the passenger side blinking for about 1000 miles. (I am in the middle of a 7k trip right now) Tonight in a blinding rainstorm,, both headlights quit! We have been in Northern Canada and haven't come across a dealer. I am doing a quick finish back to the west cost,, and now I can't drive at night! The come on when you first turn them on, but fail without me knowing it until I stop!

It's the week end and I won't find a dealer between Grand Forks ND and Great Falls MT. Question is at ~40k is the dealer going to make good on this,, or am I going to get into a fight? Going forward,, have they cured the problem with these hid lights or should I be looking into alternatives when the warrantee expires?

Thanks,

Icarus

4. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Its rare that they both go out at the same time, but its common than one starts acting up and shortly after, the other one does too.

If you belabor fixing the first one, it becomes obvious when the second goes out.

this thread is a pretty short thread on the subject, there is another thats over 500 posts now. Usually replacing the bulb is all thats needed.

There are a few cases where more than that seems to be the problem.

But in many cases, I think folks don't realize their light is out until the second one goes since one gives so much light.

As to whether the dealer will fix it.... there is no concrete answers as how what dealers will do what..... it seems to be a mixed bag.

Alternatives to HID would be expensive to change the whole housing as well as the wiring harness... not a good alternative.

But HID normally is wonderful for car headlamps.

This certainly warrants a class action suit there are so many cases now.

I don't know if this is common with other car manufacturers, but I haven't noticed if it is.

Unless you can get some satisfaction from the dealer, the ebay bulbs cost a little more than normal Halogen.... about 69.00 for two.

5. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I see this is your first post Webstir.... not sure I'm thrilled about your name as it appears to be a red flag that your into "stirring" things up!

But fortunately, no one is judged on one post! :p

So welcome to the forum!
    Unless your touching the bulbs and getting impurities on them to cause them to overheat, I have no explanation why both would react that way.
    Each bulb has its own ballast.
    There is supposed to be a computer circuit that has some say so over the bulbs but I don't understand why if there is.

I have hand held HID's and there is no need for a computer to run the lights...it very simple.. .the ballast does it all to my knowledge.
    There is voltage that ramps up upon firing and lowers to steady during the normal burn and the ballast handles all that logic.

Normally its not a ballast issue, or else replacing the bulb would not fix the problem...and if it "was" the ballast, its unlikely to have both go out at once unless you have a major wiring issue that supplies both ballasts.

sounds like whatever your problem is,.... either your very unlucky, or the problem is something thats common to both bulbs.... and thats the part I don't understand.

As I mentioned earlier... I don't see the need for a computer chip to have any play with the HID bulbs any more than they would need to be for Halogen.

Keep in mind whether Halogen or HID... the bulbs must be handled without touching or they won't last long at all.

so if you feel you've done everything right and still have this problem, you are pretty unique and better go have it checked out.
    Sorry, you'll be at the mercy of whatever the dealers want to do.

Getting down on your knees with your hands underneath your armpits and flapping your wings wildly while quawking loudly as you bounce across the showroom floor seems to help. :)

I would find all the threads on this subject and document their locations and take it with you so they can look it up.

6. aridon99

aridon99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you for this wonderful thread. My right HID bulb went out on my 06 around 75k miles. I got the usual talk about the extended warranty not covering bulbs. So the dealer charged me about $400 saying they needed to take the bumper off. 3k miles later the other bulb started to go out as well. Because of this wonderful thread, I've ordered a set of 6k temp bulbs from ebay. I'm looking forward to replacing just the one :) I'll try and take a picture of the lights if all goes well...

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are changing to a different color temperature then you should change both bulbs or else the car will look funny with one yellowish bulb and one white/blue bulb. :)

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    yea.. sorry, if you order 6K, the one you have is most likely around 4.2K..

One will look white and your 6K will be blue.

9. ATX

ATX New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an '04 Prius and have the same problems: winking out that is temporarily remedied by turning the lights off and back on again.

10. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI, there's a posting at Luscious Garage about HID bulb replacement.

Luscious Garage | Blog | Prius HID D4R D2R Headlights

I plan on getting cooler bulbs once the stock ones burn out (Onex Brand D4R 6000K). However, I haven't done due diligence on these bulbs yet, so I can't vouch for them.

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Good post, look at the price for the Philllips bulbs.... it confirms the ridiculous profits involved that Toyota and the Dealers get from their loyal customers who have befallen the misfortune of premature burnout from a HID bulb that they paid "serious" money for not lasting any longer than a regular Halogen.

12. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This appears to be a common problem, so it may be relevant to make the thread a sticky.

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

How about stick it to the forehead of the Toyota President?

14. jtrosario

jtrosario Prius Pioneer

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ** Please excuse my thread jacking, I previously posted a reply here on the wrong thread and am correcting it now with the above quote. I also tried the method in this thread, but gave up and tried this method to replace both my HIDs and am very happy with it. Also please see the bottom of this reply for an inexpensive HID alternative for 2004-2005 models. This originally came from a thread called "Driver side HID lamp replacement" **

Thank you Bear68 for your description of how to "move over" part of the bumper to be able to move and get to the headlight casing easily. For me, your description and method was MUCH EASIER than the "go from behind and use a mirror" method.

For novices like myself, two of the three bolts to remove the headlight from step 4 could use an additional description. The three bolts(per headlight) look exactly the same, so if you remove one that doesn't match and isn't required to move the bumper-like I did-just put it back. And both the bumper bolts and the headlight bolts are 10mm. The headlight bolts have a finer thread.

The easy one is that first bolt at the top of the headlight, can be taken out at any time.

The second is after moving the bumper over from the tire sidewell. There's a bolt/screw just between the bumper separation near the outside lower edge of the headlight that's easy to see - that ISN'T it. Separate the bumper a little more and using a flashlight you'll see another bolt just below and slightly recessed from the obvious one. THAT'S the one to remove.

The third is near the inside lower edge of the headlight underneath the topmost fender edge and in-between an obvious plastic "screw" and the rubber circle with screw that is also used as the rubber that the hood falls onto(one on each side). Fit a flathead in-between and remove the plastic "screw" which is really a plastic clip. IF YOU CAN, use a good phillips screwdriver to remove the rubber circle with screw. On one side I was able to remove that one as well, and it was a breeze to remove the entire headlight casing. On the other side, I wasn't able to. So instead, bend back the fender(really bend/fold it) between the removed plastic clip and the STUCK rubber circle with screw and you can get that third headlight bolt removed. It will require more attention and wiggling to both remove and replace the headlight casing, but it still goes back together just fine.

Good luck and have fun, it all really does go back together well.

BTW, I paid $18.99 USD on EBay with free shipping to alanyes888([email protected]) for 2 HID bulbs 4300K, I asked for D2R 4300K and received D2C 4300K. It looks like the D2C has an additional notch to be plug-compatible with both the D2R and the D2S, otherwise the bulbs appears the same. The light output is much better than the 6 year old D2R bulbs that I removed with the same color (the 4300K part). In my garage the new bulbs' brightness and color look exactly as I remember the original HID lights on my 2004 in this same garage back in November of 2003. I am very happy with my $18.99 D2C bulbs(as in under $10 each) and the 4 hour do-it-yourself job. In the future, this will now take 15 minutes each side for me as well. Hopefully, the above notes will help someone else do this much more quickly than I did.

logbiter likes this.
  15. hockeyvsprius

hockeyvsprius New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I am currently shopping for used Prius and came across multiple postings regarding issues with HIDs. Should this be a real concern before I buy? I have one particular car in mind - 2006 with package 4 and 30K miles on it.
    Based on what you wrote on how to replace HIDs, I hope there is way to avoid disastrous spending on fixing potential HID issues.
    What are your suggestions and overall experience with Prius (mileage, safety, etc.)?
    Appreciate any feedback I can get!

16. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey, welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you have an awesome opportunity if the price is right.

The HID issue is not worth a buying decision over.

First of all many people have no issues at all, second if you do, you can do like I did and buy "two" ebay HID bulbs for 69.00 "for both" and put them in yourself... I did that over 30K ago and no problems!

You will love the prius.. don't worry about anything else!

The Prius is rock solid in every way with the exception of this issue thats no big deal as long as you know a way out.

Besides, the dealers are now privy to it and will usually work with you on a reasonable fix to replace the bulbs.

17. tkm954

tkm954 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had the intermittent HID problem on the driver's side.
    Got pulled over by the local PD so finally want to the dealer about it. They said it would be 2hrs labor, about $300 total to replace. (bumper removal, etc.) I didn't have 2hours or $300 to burn so I came home and found this thread. Armed with the excellent info I gathered here I called Toyota Customer Experience the next day. The CSR listened to my story and said I would get a response within 24hrs. They did call back the next day and the CSR assigned to the case asked a few more questions, said they would make a determination in 48 hours. Thet called me like clockwork 2 days later and said they would pay to have the dealer fix it. THE DEALER CALLED ME within the next hour and we made the appointment to have it taken care of the next day.

Its all done!, no mess, no stress, no $$. Thanks to Prius Chat and an excellent highly professional response from Toyota Customer Experience.

I still love my PRIUS!

18. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Are they STILL claiming it takes 2 hours AND bumper removal to replace the HID bulbs? IT IS NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See my album, look at windstring's prior posts. It is a bit of a tight fit, especially on the driver's side, and you can't see what you are doing, but you can replace both bulbs in about 10 minutes each. Well, at least the second time you mess about in there :) It still took me WAY less than 2 hours when I did mine and that included taking the pictures.

19. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you have the right tools and know how.. taking the bumper off is prob faster and they get to charge more for labor rather than doing it the poor mans way and getting paid less for labor!
    Hence the reason Mechanics have evolved into "parts replacers" rather than troubleshooters that fix things.

20. tkm954

tkm954 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In spite of the 2 hour quote, my car was in the shop for about 45 minutes total......

don't know if they took the bumper off or not.