1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My HID bulb replacement on my 06 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by windstrings, May 26, 2008.

1. Cocooningweb

Cocooningweb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone,

I had the infamous intermitent problem with my right HID on my '06 Prius, the dealer changed the left one about a year ago under warranty but they don't want to cover the right one now.

I bought two bulbs on eBay (about $70 total) and followed Windstrings' tutorial and everything went fine ... well until I turned them on !

For some strange reasons both headlights come on as soon as turn the switch, but they go out within about 3-5 minutes, both sides! If I just flash the high beams or turn them off then back on, they're back on for another five minutes.

Any ideas what the problem is? What's weird is that the left headlight was working fine before the swap, since the dealer changed it. I decided to change both sides to ensure HID temperature match, I got 6Ks.

Thanks !

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Welcome to the Forum....

I don't know what year of prius you are driving but call the dealer and make sure the HID bulbs you ordered are the same ones you bought.

There are D4R and D4S... thats my best guess.... I've never ran into that before.

The one side that was working fine before, now doesn't work "if I understand right", but you have the new bulb in that spot right?

I"m wondering if you have the wrong bulbs.
    It almost sounds like you aren't getting adequate maintenance voltage for the bulbs from your ballast... maybe there is a mismatch.

3. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Are those the bulbs your car calls for?

I don't know what the differences are, but all HID bulbs are not the same as some require different voltage inputs from the ballasts and different maintenence voltages.

Normal Halogen bulbs are simple... if you can get them in the socket, your set... because the only parameter you have to match electronically is that you supply 12V to them...
    In other words... Halogen installations are quite simple.

But HID bulbs are different as the ballast much match the bulb requirements of voltages and current.

The Ballast supplies a very high voltage to fire them and then hold a maintenance voltage to keep them going.

HID bulbs have to be matched with a ballast that supplies the needed voltage and current they demand.

4. Cocooningweb

Cocooningweb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the quick reply. I have a 2006, Package #6 with OEM HID. The bulbs I bought on eBay were advertised as "Xenon HID D4C D4R 6K Headlights Bulbs 06-09 07 08 Prius". They shipped me D4C instead of the D4R, which they claim is the same thing.

I just put back my OEM bulbs and it seems to be ok now, both sides. I guess I maybe got faulty bulbs. I emailed the seller, waiting for a reply.

5. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Good luck on getting them to reply.

I tried to do a little research for you.
    iJDMTOY JDM 6000K 8000K 10000K 12000K D4S D4R D4C HID Xenon Upgrade Bulbs for Lexus Toyota
    Same guys here.
    Here is mention of voltage differences...I don't know how credible this is.
    CarLightTrends.com MTEC D4R & D4S Xenon 6000K & 8000K Bulbs - Club Lexus Forums

The mention of chinese retrofit being different voltage may either by hype or the fact is our ballast is lower voltage "hey maybe its chinese knock off too!" and may work better with the chinese bulbs.... I have yet to have any problems with my chinese bulbs.

Sorry you had to go through all that hassle and still not have it resolved.

6. sambojoho

sambojoho Proud conservative

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I thought this was a decent overview of one way to do this job.

7. kevin_rf

kevin_rf Junior Member

Thanks for the details on how to replace the bulbs.

I cheated and had the school auto shop where my wife teaches replace the bulbs. sadly the new bulb is acting the same as the old bulb on the passenger side. The warmer the day the more likely it is to fail. I am suspecting the ballast. So I have purchased a new ballast. Has anyone posted a how to on how to replace the ballast?

Thanks.

(Oh detail 2005, 141,000 miles, bulb/ballast went at ~135,000 miles)

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

which bulb did you use?.. the OEMs?

There is allot of speculation that the ballasts are slightly underpowered and so the chinese ebay bulbs would work better......
    Unless you got a better ballast...

But I would second guess buying another OEM ballast because you could end up with the same problem.

9. kevin_rf

kevin_rf Junior Member

Philips D2R 85126 HID Xenon off of ebay (genuinexenon).

Time to go figure out how the ballast install works.

10. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Motion sickness from the video!!! Ohhhhhh

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Sorry to hear that.... your one of the very few that has not alleviated the symptoms with a mere bulb change.

I'm not sure of the properties of those Phillips.... my guess is they are close to the specs of what is "supposed" to work but since these ballast are in suspect, possibly the cheaper ones do better "they require less voltage".

At this point, do you still have your old oem bulbs?.... if so, maybe call that number and see if you can get satisfaction.

If they will..... keep those phillips as spares.

Theres always a small chance you got a bad one..... switching the bulbs from right to left to see if the symptoms switch is the best way to tell.
    There is also a chance one of the high school kids "touched" the bulb and it gets too hot now...... but I would think that would just cause premature failure..... not sure about that one.

I have bought 4 of the ebay bulbs and one did soon start with the same symptoms, I simply put one of my OEM bulbs in its spot that never exhibited the symptoms and all has been well for close to 40K now.
    Yes, there is a tiny bit color difference during warmup between those two bulbs, but once they are good and hot, its really hard to tell and kelvin difference... they are very close.

12. happy2472

happy2472 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok i ordered Philips Diamond Vision H4 5000K Xenon/HID effect - and it seems these are NOT the correct bulbs i need ... come to think of it i should have added pics of the standard bulb and the bulb i finally got in the mail .. i forgot the post i saw these on thats why i got these ... am i the only jackass who f'd up???

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    are those Halogen?... if so, they are completely wrong... my 06 needs D4R HID bulbs.

The "H" makes me wonder and the word "effect" makes me think maybe so.

but I haven't looked them up.

14. happy2472

happy2472 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my bulb looks at the end very round and has two wire clips holding the bulb in place i had a pic somewhere i found online somewhere .. im discussing with powerbulbs how to get the correct bulbs HOLY doody ... i just googled the bulbs first website said $229 a pair .... WOW is that right????

15. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It could be... but the ebay ones are about 69.00 a pair.. "or less"

16. happy2472

happy2472 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    windstrings you my friend are a GOD !!!! i followed your directions to the "T" .. and now i can say my headlights are ROCKIN a set of 8000k tinted blue headlights !!!!

thank YOU

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have people say "oh my God" all the time when they see me!.. but I pretty sure its not because I'm God! LOL!

I did try to make them detailed because thats the way I like it. I hate it when people assume too much... I need details man.. lots of details! Say what you mean and mean what you say!

Of course that can add mud and confusion to those who like to figure on their own.

Thats why most instructions are of no good to me.. they leave too much out, and It would have been faster just to do it myself without them!

but thanks for the appreciation and I'm glad they helped!

18. szaijan

szaijan New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After reading the wonderful directions here, I attempted to change the bulbs without removing the bumper fascia. Alas, my hands are simply too large to make it practical, so I was left with paying someone, or removing the fascia. A local mechanic wanted about $300 in labor, and the dealer quoted me $570 in labor. Highway robbery! Also, Kragen wanted $87 per bulb, and Winchester auto had only a single bulb at $79.

I went on-line to IntenseHID.com and bought a pair of 6K D2S/D2R bulbs from them for $50 for a PAIR, shipping included! Initially I ordered the wrong bulbs, but my comment that they were for a 2005 Prius HID replacement allowed Steve in their sales department to correct the error pre-shipment. I had the bulbs in three days. I can't recommend the guys highly enough. Note that the D4C/D4R bulbs used in the 2006 and later Prius models go for $90 a pair on Intense HID.

The 6k bulbs are much brighter than my factory HIDs and give off a very slightly blue hued white light. The lights are so bright my fog lamps are pretty much superfluous. These bulbs are rated at 35W. The factory bulbs appear to be rated at 40W. I'll post here again should the bulbs fail at any time in the next few years. They come with a 1 year warranty from Intense HID.

There are a few directions about on how to remove the bumper fascia, but none for the 2005 model, and it's apparently slightly different from the 2006. In addition to the 8 obvious screw/clip combos under the front bumper, there are two more, one on each side, that require pushing back the liner on the forward part of the front wheel wells to unscrew them. There are also 5 screws behind the plastic "pan" which is about 8" back of the first set of screws, and these are angled forward and out of sight. You actually have to feel for them. An extended 10mm socket wrench head took care of all of the underside screws. The 7 clips, 2 screws, and 2 bumpers on the liner and fascia at the front under the hood are fairly obvious. Once all are removed, you need to gently disengage the fascia by wriggling it out of the hooks just in front of the front tires, where the seam between the fascia and the body molding is visible.

Once removed, the headlight assemblies can be removed with the 10mm socket by removing the screws at the 3 corners of the assemblies. At that point, following the above instructions (from the OP) is very easy, as it's not hard to get enough torque to remove the cover once you have some room to get a good grip.

Putting the plastic pieces under the fascia back into their proper clips and getting the screws all back in the right holes was the most challenging part of the whole operation and took about 50% of the total 90 minutes I spent. Actually changing the bulbs took less than 5 minutes, including removing and replacing the headlight assemblies.

Many thanks for all the comments here. They were VERY helpful.

19. satwood

satwood Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    szaijan, I had a similar experience with my 2007. I found the D4 bulbs on Ebay for about $60 a pair. I found I had to remove the bumber which took quite a while to do. The buld replacement was relatively easy after that. Getting the bumber back on took two people and almost put my marriage in jeapordy:eek:. However, all appears to be fine.

Just a word of warning, I ordered 6K color temp bulbs but the company shipped me 8K ones. They are OK but really too blue for my taste. It really makes a big difference.

This is a 3 beer job and a second helper is very useful.

Steve

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

LOL!... at least now she knows your the man and can do anything! :cheer2: