1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My HID bulb replacement on my 06 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by windstrings, May 26, 2008.

1. FCBarca

FCBarca Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, mission accomplished :cheer2:

Took about an hour from start to finish, after all, for me...prius_sd has a nice little wikihow instructional manual that I ended up using after researching and seeing all the youtube vids etc.

I really wonder how small people's hands are that can get back there, this is no easy task, I will confirm.

Hardest parts were entirely related to lack of space to work within rather than degree of difficulty with doing any aspects of it.

In particular, getting the back of the headlight assembly to actually move far enough away from the area you need to get to the bulb proved to be a challenging task (Especially on the passenger side)...The wikihow manual suggested moving the windshield washer fluid reservoir which I began to do but it required too many hoops for me to bother with...So, I scraped my hands pretty good trying to manipulate the tiny space.

The other difficulty was the chrome HID bulb holder that needed to be turned 1/8 counterclockwise...You'd think 1/8 turn is not a big deal but getting your hands around that thing and being able to generate even minimal torque was a real pain...At least for me.

Apart from that, everything else was pretty smooth...Clips were pretty straightforward as was the bulb insertion.

I think if I have to do it again, I think I should be able to manage it in half the time or less.

A telescopic mirror would definitely be handy and next time maybe I would remove the windshield fluid reservoir

$40 for the bulbs and an hour of work...Saved more than $260, I'll take that [​IMG]

Thanks for the help

2. sambojoho

sambojoho Proud conservative

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I would strongly recommend anyone trying this to just remove the plastic bumper, then remove the entire headlight assemblies. This is really pretty easy, and takes away all of the accessibility problems. I have huge hands, so there was no way I was going to get them off without removing the headlight assembly. Needed no more tools than a philips screwdriver and a 10mm socket wrench.

Either way you go, though, it is definitely a fairly easy DIY job, no reason to pay the dealer's ridiculous charges.

3. BrianV

BrianV New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks to all in this thread, just ordered the Ebay D4Rs for our 2006. It's BS that Toyota doesn't cover this under warranty, and it was extra nice that 3 months before our passenger side one started flaking they sent me a letter saying these were wear and tear, as if they knew they were garbage quality.

This will probably be my last Toyota, but I greatly appreciate this thread!!! Beats $400 at the dealer or whatever. Has anyone found the $49 ebay lights to have decent life?

4. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Re: My HID bulb replacement on my 07 Prius

At 95K miles my wife noticed the passenger side headlamp was out. This is apparently a "normal" life with typical driving, so I decided not to make an issue with Toyota. After researching PriusChat I decided to do the job myself (shortcut method - not removing bumper cover) and to buy the Phillips bulbs from ebay (from jmhulet).

Today I replaced both sides and noted that the OEM bulbs were EXACTLY the same as the ones that jmhulet/ebay sent me (except different date code). I found that the mechanic's mirror was a great help (I didn't have to move the windshield washer). As others have pointed out, rotating the cover was a pain - sometimes wondered if it was rotating at all.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

5. seffros

seffros Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I, too, just finished the job of replacing both bulbs. If anyone ever wondered about the value of PriusChat, just consider that the dealer wanted $150 for each bulb and $295 for labor. I bought the OEM Philips D4R bulbs, made in Germany, the exact replacement for what was on my 2006, for a total of $75 including shipping, (www.hidconcept.com) on the web and followed the instructions in this forum and the WikiHow and did the job myself in about 45 minutes. Yes, small hands are helpful and I didn't have to take off any extra windshield washer containers, bumpers, etc., to be able to reach in and get the job done. Opening the back cover was the hardest part but if you put even pressure on it and watch closely it will move.. about an eighth of a turn...not far.. but that's all that's necessary, then it will stop so don't struggle to move it any more than that. Wiggle it and you will find it comes off. Much easier the next time since it is no longer machine tightened. Watch the tutorials first (very important!) and you can get a very good mental picture of what is going on. I didn't need any mirrors, just a little flashlight. Look through the lens from the front when you are putting the bulb in to make sure it seats properly (the bar should be pointing down toward the ground). I can understand why folks with larger hands will have to disassemble the headlight unit to work on it, but if you have smaller, nimble hands, you can get the whole job done, and save yourself, in my case over $500, and wonder why the dealerships don't have someone "on hand" as it were, to do the same thing! Thanks to all who added their expertise, and thanks to PriusChat.

6. Manksgloob

Manksgloob Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    UPDATE: So about two weeks ago the passenger bulb started flickering out. It just didn't want to stay lit no matter how many times I re-lit them.

Four months old!

Ah well. Time for a new set... maybe from a different source this time -- just to mix things up a bit.

7. toups

toups Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Replaced both bulbs since the driver's light was shutting down after several minutes of operation. Got a pair of 4300K from e-bay seller Formula-J87. I can't fault the seller, the bulbs appear to be good.:)

I managed to do it without removing the bumper although the clips stumped me for a while both when un-clipping and re-clipping.

Well the passenger side bulb works (still) with the new bulb. However, the driver's side bulb is shutting down (still) after several minutes of operation.:mad:

I guess it must be the ballast. Since I have an extended warranty, I may end up taking it to the dealer to see if they will replace the ballast.

Any other suggestions? I guess I could put the old passenger bulb on the driver's side and see if it works there.:confused:

8. toups

toups Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Update, well now the bulb seems to be working well. I assume the ballast might be at fault, but if it is working I will leave well enough alone.

9. richard123

richard123 New Member

Thanks to Prius Chat and the U-Tube Videos, I installed my HID bulbs in about 45 minutes in my 2007 Prius

I experimented first a little, with the bad bulb, practicing installing it back on the driver's side. One video pointed out about the notch in the bulb base and being sure to align it with the raised part of the housing. Another mentioned that the post must be at the bottom. In that position you have perfect alignment.

I did not remove the bumper or windshield washer reservoir.

The clips that hold the light in place was easy, since I saw the videos, of those who took the whole assembly out. Putting the connector over the bulb and turning it an 1/8 of a turn was also easy, since seeing the videos. Finally putting the cover back on was also very easy.

When I switched to the passenger side, it was real easy, since I had that experience with the driver's side.

I would suggest using the bad bulb to practice with first, before working with the new bulbs.

I dropped the practice bulb once on the driver's side and had a hard time getting a grip on it.

All in all it went very well. Now if I have to replace them again, it should be a cake walk.

Here is where I got mine:

From: High Performance Xenon D4R HID replacement bulbs (2 Bulbs) Part # D4RHID

HighPerformanceBulbs.com Performance Xenon D4RHID 1pk of 2 54.99 Select HID Bulb Color = 4300K
    D4R HID replacement bulbs (2 Bulbs) Part # D4RHID Subtotal 54.99 Shipping 7.75
    Total 62.74

One thing I have learned, the bulbs will last longer, if I don't have them on all the time. HID bulbs WILL go bad quicker, if you have them on all the time. Bummer, but a fact of life. So during the day, when it is sunny, I won't use my lights. During rain, fog, before dawn, after dusk, and winter, during snow, I will use them, of course. I am just going to be more conservative, so I get longer life.

Again, thanks to ALLLLL the great posts that made this job so much easier, and Toyota didn't get a nickle from me. Just hope they last a long time.:rockon:

10. krg03

krg03 Not expert, just experienced

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is what I did also recently. I replaced the Horns, HID and Fog Lights while I had the bumper skin off. WAaaaay easier than doing the small hand, can't see thingy. I did amazon.com 6k fog and headlights. Diamond white from JLM. So far 1 month. I also did a mod to have the Fog on while driving (without headlights/markers on). Fogs are easy to change from under side if necessary (again) and less costly.

How to Change a Headlight on a Prius | eHow.com

http://www.selidori.com/tech/prius/DOC/Tech2006/HO%20-%20Horn.pdf

around page 82
    http://www.selidori.com/tech/prius/DOC/Tech2006/LI - Lighting.pdf

Fog light replacement bulb only
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-modifications/55126-fog-light-assembly-how-remove.html

11. murffer

murffer New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am so sick of Toyota . I had to change both bulbs and now I have a greater problem . They both worked for the first month and then one would go off then BOTH went off while I was driving on dark dirt road . I had to jam the brakes on and hope for the best . I no longer drive this 2006 @&%@%& Prius at night . For $28,000.00 you would think Toyota could try to help me .

12. nstamenov

nstamenov New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so wish I would have read this before doing my HID light in my 2006 Prius. But I did get the bulb replaced. All the tips mentioned are the same exact conclusions I came to. I didn't know about the mirror. Might have to get that for easier viewing of other repairs in the future. I sure hope these lights last as long as the last ones lasted (3.5 yrs.). One thing I noticed after replacing the driver's side HID light is that I hear a humming sound when I turn on the lights. I don't know if it has always done that...but both sides have this humming sound. I haven't changed out the passenger side light yet. Has anyone else heard that? If the engine isn't fully on and you turn on the headlights there is a humming sound? The other thing that happened is that the yellow parking light of the driver side is now out. I am pretty sure it wasn't out before replacing this bulb. Any thoughts on this? I have lost my owner's manual (temporarily hopefully) so I can't find which fuse is for the parking lights. I have removed the bulb and am going to try to replace it. Oh Joy!

13. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Many ballast humm "if your still young enough to hear it!... LOL!" and the humm lessens as the bulb warms up and less amperage/voltage is required from the ballast.

You shouldn't be able to hear it from inside the vehicle.

But just because it humms doesn't mean its defective... just some are louder than others.

14. HalBurke

HalBurke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Alan,

Thanks for the write up. I have an 2007 with 32,000 and I just replaced the right headlight. Like you it took me longer than expected but everything. I'll change the driver side next week. The funny thing is it too me longer to take out the darned coolant reservoir, for some reason I could not pinch the connection and get the two electrical connections out. Also I had the coolant full of coolant and lost half the fluid when I removed the tubes attached to the connectors while i was fiddling around trying to pull it out. But it was an experience and the second time, if there is one, will be much faster, I hope.

Best

Hal

15. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When you take the hose off the reservoir stick a screw in the hose to plug it.... "one thats big enough of course".

Driver side is easier if I remember right.. just don't forget to pop the fuse cover and remove the two big relays... that will give you hand more room too.

As far are removing the connectors... good to get a good look at them first so you know where to apply pressure.. maybe after taking the other one off you may remember.

16. area201

area201 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to this post, I was able to change bulbs my self. Here is what happened..

Dirver Side bulb would go off after few mins. Turn light off and then on, would work for 5-10 mins. Then again, bulb would go off.
    Dealer: Does not even look at bulb or issue. Need to change Ballast on Driver Side and BOTH bulbs to match color=$350 to $500
    PepBoys: Looked at bulb going off in few mins. Same soluton as above.
    I came to this site, spend couple of hours reading this big post. Spend few hours searching for bulb on ebay. D4R or D4S and then there is D4C:after market solution that works as common bulb to both D4R/D4S.
    I bought D4C since it was cheap and would not care if it does not work after 6month: $ 30 shipped.
    Installation: I tried without opening up bumper: way too hard on either side even for skinny hand. I found removing Bumper much much easier. Removed two 10mm bolts that attach bumper to wheel cut (one on top corner, one bottom-underneath). Same on other side. UnderHood: Remove black big cover- small 6 plastic screw-turn 90 degree counterclockwise, sack it while lifting up. While piece comes off Very easy. Remove small black piece behind psngr light: 1 black plastic hook. lift up only middle part with screw driver-while piece comes off easily. Remove similar 3 that holds bumper in the middle-front. Remove 2 big black screws with big plastic around. Remove 3 10mm bolts thats holds light to body- one on top, one near inner bumper, one on outer side of bumper.

MY ADVISE: Remove Bumper and change bulb = much easier. ALWAYS get only D4R bulb- D4C gives a whole lotta glare.

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You figured out something a lot of people miss.
    Just because a bulb will fit in the hole.. maybe trim this or that.. doesn't mean it works right.

The length of the filament and where it starts and stops has all to do with the reflector its housed in if you want proper throw.
    Of course we are talking HID lights so its the "arc" instead of filament.. but same difference.

1. You have a light source.
    2. The source is so bright and so big
    3. The source is positioned in precisely the right spot in the reflector.
    If you get it too close to the front, you get less throw and more spill and vice versa.

Of course the best of both worlds would be to have the source longer so as to give more throw "and" more spill.. but then you need more power unless you want less surface tension in the brightness and so you loose there. "same wattage over more space = less intensity"

Many other variables and possibilities come into play based on the quality of bulb and the materials inside but you get the idea.

I agree.. stick with the D2R. :)

18. ggcc

ggcc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi Windstring,

My car Prius 2007 the HID bulb on the driver side is acting up (89Kmile) I think the bulb is less than 1000hours. I just bought two stock bulbs from genuinexenon ebay (Phillips made in Germany) for [FONT=&quot]$64.98 shipping included. Thank you for instruction.

[/FONT]

19. Kaymann

Kaymann New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I thought the video was a ten - took my laptop out to the garage and had it done in no time. Could not have done it without the vid!!

1 person likes this.
  20. S0CalGuy

S0CalGuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: My HID bulb replacement on my 06 prius (reg d4r vs. d4s)

I see you've posted in several places John, as I had the same question. Just wanted to let you know, I ordered some on ebay with a 2year warranty, and the bulbs I received were D4S. I contacted them, and they said they use those for both D4R and D4S. So, I installed them, and they work great!! The only thing that black strip could do anyhow is block light, and I say, let all the light flow!! The more illumination, the better! I thought this might be helpful. Oh, and I got the pair for $35 plus free shipping. Record low!! :)
    The process was definitely more difficult than the halogens I'm used to, but not bad with a small mirror to view the spring. I had the most trouble reinstalling the black outer cover for some reason - darn thing would not go in all the way!! There's still a small crack on the outer side where it's not flush, but it should be okay...
    GO TOYOTA! GO PRIUS!!