My HV battery replacement experience - Australia.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by uart, Dec 3, 2017.

1. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Overall it was fairly positive. The original HV battery (2005 pruis) lasted 13 years and 314000 km before finally throwing all the warning lights a few weeks back. It finally died on a long descent near home, but it had been showing signs of weakness (reduced capacity) for quite a while. I had been expecting it's imminent failure for some time, so it definitely wasn't a shock or anything.

Not a very large number of Prius here in Australia, so I couldn't locate any low mileage donor cars to even consider a secondhand battery. And I definitely didn't want a rebuilt battery, given some of the issues that I've seen people on the forums here report with them.

A new battery from Toyota cost less than I was expecting, $2430 AUD (about $1865 USD) from my local dealer without any shopping around. I should have fitted it myself but was short on time so the dealer did it and the total price was $2890 AUD ($2196 USD) all up. I dropped off the car to them in the morning (it was still driveable but only just) and it was ready for pick up just after lunch time. The guys also did the steering recall while they had it.

Picked it up that afternoon and it hasn't driven this nicely since it was new. I immediately noticed much more stable SOC levels than I've seen for a long time (mostly staying at 6 blue bars) and much longer "glide" distances. I can definietly notice more power, with the electric motors much more willing to "put in". It also seems quieter and drives more smoothly, probably because the petrol engine is doing less peak work.

TBH, I probably should have got a new battery a year or two ago and not even waited for the old one to "officially die". It's a much nicer car to drive like this. :)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! sounds like a great decision and a reasonable price. how long do you hope to keep her?

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Now that it's got the new battery I'll definitely keep it for a few more years. There were no other problems with the car and it's been amazingly reliable.

I know that a lot of people think it's not worth spending anything on a car this old, but I do all the maintenance and I really know its history, so fixing it seemed a much safer bet than say buying a cheap one second hand where everything is an unknown.

With the price of petrol here and the amount of kms I drive, it will pay for the battery in under 20 months. :)

4. Jamie85063

Jamie85063 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    How is the new battery going are you noticing better fuel economy at all?
    I've just ordered a new traction battery from Toyota here in Australia today for my 2006 Prius and it was $2428.55. I decided it was better just to get a new genuine battery at that price then all the other options.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've began mentioning this in the threads where people were asking about high mileage used Prii that they were thinking about purchasing.

My comment was to save some money for a battery replacement (just in case) and if it does happen, it's like getting a new car for the price of a new battery. Good to see that there is actually a PC member that has replaced their battery with a new OEM one and has reported that it drives like it was new.

6. Jamie85063

Jamie85063 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Yes when I bought mine a month ago I was told the traction battery had been reconditioned. I still factored in I may need a new battery soon after purchasing and that's turned out to be the case. Still think I have a great car soon to be with new battery. Just replaced the 12v as well I do like to have my cars as reliable as possible. If you buy a second hand Prius and factor the battery into the purchase cost and buy accordingly all good.

7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Jamie. Yeah I've been interested to see how that goes too. I've been monitoring it and was going to update this thread with that info as soon as I'd run a couple of tanks through it. :)

Yes there's definitely been an improvement. Hard to say exactly how much (so many other variables and my wife drives it more than me), but at this stage I'd say around 5% (possibly even a bit more) from what I've seen so far.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Jamie85063

Jamie85063 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Thanks for the update 5% sounds good so far and that's what I was hoping for as a minimum improvement in economy with mine. I just picked up and fitted my new HV battery today. Just did a test drive of 30 KLM and seems much better and very stable on the battery gauge now. Will see how the economy goes.

Raytheeagle and uart like this.