1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

my hybrid automotive issues with reconditioning

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by metricmotomike, Sep 8, 2018.

1. metricmotomike

metricmotomike New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so i have a 2008 prius, 131k miles. battery was doing ok but i noticed it would be in the purple more than my brothers 2007 (that has a new battery) and it was also getting about 38mpg vs his 46mpg. he also drives it like he stole his and i try to be somewhat easy on mine. So i ordered the kit. the prolong deluxe kit

since i knew from reading that this is a long process it took me a few weeks to designate a whole weekend to get it done.

i started the first charge at 6:35pm on friday evening. When started it read 220v .341a. at 11:30 it had stopped rising for a while and was at 235v.

i plugged in the discharger and using the chart chose the 134 terminate setting and let it go. i checked it at 1230 am and it was back down to 201v. i went to sleep and checked it at 7am this am and it was at 157v, 1.699a. it says to get it down to .8 on the first discharge so i obviously have a long way to go.

i then go check it at 930 and it is on idle and beeping @ 154v. 1.452a. So i reset and start again. within 30 minutes it is idle again, beeping and i reset it. this time it was actually higher at 157v.

i have read their website over and over and cannot find anything to address this issue. Do i need to keep resetting it and doing the 134v termination, or is this thing trying to tell me something?

Also, i was only planning on running the system 2 cycles as suggested on their website. So the second time around what termination rate and how may volts do i need to get it down to.

any help would be awesome at this point.....

2. metricmotomike

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    update. it is almost immediate. once i reset the discharger, and put it back on the 134v setting, withing 10 minutes it is idle, and beeping. @ 157v and .002a. WTH!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    give @jeff652 a call. he is usually quite helpful.

srellim234, padroo and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The instant you stop discharging, the battery voltage will bounce back up 20 volts or so in a minute or less, if I remember right. But it's like a surface charge and if you try discharging again, it'll go back down just as fast as it bounced up. Standard procedure is to let it charge till the voltage levels off and continue charging for several more hours. When you finish a discharge cycle, charge it again and forget about the voltage bounce.

Also, 235 volts sounds like all the cells might not have filled up. You didn't define a "while" but it needs to keep charging for several hours. The charging instructions on the web site say:
    "Once the battery becomes 'full' the balancing process will begin. During the 'balancing' phase you will most likely see a steady voltage reading or a very slow oscillation of voltage - perhaps a 1-3 volt swing over several minutes. This means the battery is in the balancing phase. The initial balancing can take 4-12 hours after the filling phase is complete. Subsequent balancing sessions will likely be much shorter, perhaps 4-6 hours after filling is complete."​

As @bisco said, give Jeff a call and talk it over with him.

srellim234 and bisco like this.
  5. metricmotomike

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They are closed on the weekend or i would call.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    shoot jeff a pm, maybe he is looking at his email.

7. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    With the smart Discharger if it is idle, you’ve hit 134 volts ;).

Charge it back up:).

That is your objective: 2 cycle reconditioning, one cycle?

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

srellim234 and jerrymildred like this.
  8. metricmotomike

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so i started the second charge at 10:31 am yesterday. it was at 159v, .001a. at almost midnight it was at 231v, .342a. it has now been at 236v .342a since 7 am. That is almost 24 hours for a charge. just seems like a long time. Now i am worried i do not have enought time to do another discharge, recharge, and make it to work...may have to hitch a ride...haha. I will message jeff and see if he responds...

9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Nope, sounds normal ;).

I’d let it finish charging up for a couple more hours (look for a change in voltage of a volt or 2 and if none, call it good) then punt for a later date if you want to do more.

The key to finishing in a 3 days weekend is to time when things happen. I get a 2 cycle reconditioning done in about 60-64 hours, starting the top end balance Thursday night and then the first discharge starting Friday morning. Usually done Sunday afternoon :).

Here’s my thread for your reference:

2010 Prius II HV Battery Reconditioning

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

srellim234 and jerrymildred like this.
  10. metricmotomike

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok. i actually hooked up the discharger again on the second terminate setting. it had been at 136v steady for some time.... Once it gets done with that i will charge it back up. i have planned a way to get to work on monday just in case...

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Keep in mind, too, that what you've already done does provide some benefit. And don't forget to let it set for at least an hour after charging before you put the car in Ready mode.

srellim234 and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    metricmotomike - Maybe I can simplify this a little for you. It's going to take a full week to do a really thorough reconditioning, not just a weekend. If your battery was showing weakness, 24 hour charge cycles are most likely not long enough the first time around. Something in the order of 40-45 hours is probably in order. It takes longer to knock some of the crystallization loose in the battery pack. I've had mine show voltage increases after staying at the same number as long as 6 hours.

Yes, the numbers will rebound upward immediately upon reaching the target goal while discharging. Ignore it, plug in the charger and move on to the next step.

After you've done a reconditioning using the longer charge times, it's okay to reduce future charge times based on what you're seeing on your screen. If it looks reasonably good, shorten the charge times to 20 or 24 hours the next time you recondition.

Since you already drive pretty carefully, note that things like tires and a weak 12v battery will affect the MPG much more than the conditioning will. Also, while driving carefully, don't try to drive keeping the car in the "battery only" mode on your screen. That only drains the battery quicker, forcing the gas motor to fire up to charge it back up. Not the most efficient way to drive the car.

Don't expect the reconditioning to make a major impact on gas mileage. My experience has been that the reconditioning process only added 1 - 1 1/2 miles per gallon.

#12 srellim234, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018