1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My In-Dash Car PC project

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TheForce, Jan 9, 2007.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Everything I have done so far should work in any prius 2004-2009

2. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got done installing a car2pc in my car for my PC. :D

So far the thing works great. I can now use the steering wheel to move to the next track. Holding in the Mode button to turn off the radio does turn off the radio but it also pauses winamp which can be a good thing sometimes. The only thing that does not work that I know if is text on the MFD. But I don't care about that. Also it says you must be on CD changer for it to work. Well when you go through the different modes it will not say CD changer. It actuall wont say anything but it will still work. For an example when you press the mode button you cycle through AM, FM1, FM2, (this is blank), AUX, and repeat. The blank spot is the CD changer or the car2pc device.

The device fit nicely in front of the large wire block behind the dash. Its located between the radio and the glove box.

The reason that I bought the car2pc is because the way I have the CAN-View and car PC setup. If I'm viewing the CAN-View and want to change the song I have to switch to the PC. Then when I go back to the CAN-View the CAN-View will not recognize touches. So my solution was the car2pc. Now I can leave it on the CAN-View screen and change songs with the steering wheel. It also makes it safer since I don't have to look down at the screen to find the next song button.

I think my car PC is complete now. I cant think of anything else I want to do to it at the moment.

3. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is interesting.

I can have a PC with USB, that would be tethered to my BlackBerry with unlimited Data Plan, the BlackBerry acting as a cellular modem for Internet access.

The screen would be the PC screen, the touch for the mouse.

Would that be possible with relatively easy-to-install 3rd party thingamajig?
    I build PC's now & then, I'm a computer programmer, so wires don't scare me.
    I just don't want to void the warranty.

On In Dash PC - USB MP3 car kits, iPhone, iPod car integration, MP3 AUX-IN car adapters - GROM PC adapter for Toyota Scion Lexus 98+ it's to connect to a laptop.
    I want to just use a tiny Motherboard & laptop HD, and re-use the Prius screen and touchscreen. Instead of another, different, pull-out LCD screen.

Possible?

4. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the 2006+ Prius you cant use the MFD as a touch screen computer. You can use it as a monitor only with a Lock Pick device but you still need a mouse.

5. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks...I'll stick to using the AUX and the mini stereo jack and a standard mp3 player.

The 6-CD mp3 play capability of the car is nice, I just wish it could be upgraded with a better version. My files are (mostly) well named and contain extra info, that the MFD doesn't display, other than a few char's of the filename.

6. sxotty

sxotty Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They have TMR screens as well. Cheaper and like transflective. Unfortunately none seem to be available in the in dash units.

BTW I just am reading up here as I am a grad student and will be working with a Prius (09) with a L5 module. I already put a carputer in my WRX years ago, but I thought I could save a lot of trouble if I could find how people did it in the Prius instead of trying to figure out the best spot to store everything.

(Well I can't link to mp3 car b/c of the restrictions but here is the url
    Code:
    vbulletin/show-off-your-project/90457-03-wrx-wagon-install.html
    )<--That is my install I moved to a cold location and the HDD immediately died of course so I went to a SSD. They sell cable that lock for the HDD connection btw, but I don't know if they are actually useful. The other option is to hot glue the connections down so vibrations do not loosen them. (oops I see you did that later already).

I always heard the in dash screen broke often, and your experience seems to confirm it. From what I gather though the replacement actually worked without breaking? I want to know so I can get something together. I would prefer an in dash unit so that I don't have to futz around trying to make a complicated screen install.

(BTW when people say "in-dash" PC they usually mean the compute is in your dash, not in your trunk. Plenty of people have stuck a PC in a dual DIN opening).

7. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

8. sxotty

sxotty Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I was planning to put in a automatic in dash unit for the reasons you mentioned. It is sad there are no sunlight readable ones available though. I will definitely post up as I make progress.

Do you happen to know if anyone has replaced the electric motor in a prius? Everytime I search I never seem to find the information I am looking for (it always comes up with specs but nothing else). I was curious as you have the L5 module as well I saw and I was wondering if a more powerful electric motor could make use of the hymotion pack to meet higher acceleration standards without engaging the ICE. (have to check the current limit on the wiring too I know)

9. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I wish they made one sunlight readable. Its really not that bad as long as the sun is not reflecting off of it directly.

The Prius has been so reliable I dont know of anyone replacing the electric motor in the Prius. The prius can handle up to 120A I think. Below 34mph and in EV mode you can draw 120A for acceleration and its pretty good. A more powerful electric motor would not help at all unless you upgraded all the electronics that control the motor. The prius was never designed to be a PHEV and we have work around the issues just to get it to perform a little better with the extra battery.

Take a look at my topics for more info on getting better mileage from the L5.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...57-review-hymotion-battery-plug-in-prius.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...448-coolant-temperature-hack-better-mpgs.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-p...ns/67057-one-year-hymotion-plug-in-prius.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...prius-ii-plug-in-hybrid-electric-vehicle.html

If you want you can reply to my other topics or create your own so this one does not get too far off track.

10. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Is it necessary to disconnect the 12V before taking this lower plastic piece off?

Daves09prius likes this.
  11. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Well to answer my own stupid question: no need to disconnect the 12V - nothing blew up when I took the panel off. YMMV of course.