1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Tideland Prius, Mar 10, 2023.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius has arrived in showrooms in Canada (and deliveries have been made as there's a few around town now). Given there's no local autoshow this year (just out east in Montreal and Toronto), I had to make my way down to the local dealership.

Here are my notes on the Gen 5 LTD if anyone's interested. For those who are unfamiliar, I've had a 2005, 2010, 2016 and Prime. I've also test driven the PiP, Prius c and v in California at Toyota HQ.However, note that I'm coming out of a Kia EV6 but I was trying to remember my Prime to use as a basis when comparing the Gen 5. The showroom also had the Crown Platinum and bZ4X XLE AWD w/ Technology Package.

Exterior
    • Low and sleek design. Roof seems lower than previous cars - easier to clean
    • Good proportions
    • Nice washer nozzle for the backup camera but none for the digital rearview mirror camera
    • The power hatch is a bit slow to open (I don't mean the actual motion but rather the delay between you pressing the hatch release and the hatch actually starting to open)
    • I do like the way the power hatch closes - it's soft and quiet. But the last bit takes an extra second (it closes down to "ajar" then after 0.5-1.0 sec, it latches).
    • Definitely don't have to worry about winter crud on the rear window given its slope but again, a wiper would be nice for the other scenarios of accumulating snow
    Interior
    • Decent front seating position. I was able to lower it quite nicely (it was originally quite high such that I was hitting the ceiling). I don't know if it was all the way to the bottom but it was pretty close to the bottom and I still had 2 inches of clearance to the moonroof (I'm just under 6')
    • The SofTex material feels so much nicer than the Gen 4 SofTex. With the perforation, it almost can be convincingly sold as leather.
    • Unfortunately, the steering wheel SofTex covering leaves something to be desired. It's ok but it doesn't feel as nice as my EV6's faux leather steering wheel
    • The seat bottom has a nice depth to it. I sat in the bZ4X afterwards and the seat bottom was noticeably shorter in the bZ than in the Gen 5
    • The rear outboard seat is comfortable with ok footroom (reminder: I lowered the driver's seat to the bottom). I'm brushing the ceiling. It has a much "better" carve-out than the Gen 3 or 4 but then I am brushing the ceiling so it feels like there's slightly less rear headroom. (Hopefully that made sense.. like, the carve out is better positioned than in the Gen 3 or 4). The rear seat is still somewhat upright but I feel like it's less upright than in the Gen 4/Prime. Could be wrong. Either way, it's still more upright than in a Camry for example.
    • The rear centre seat is definitely not for tall people. I remembered could sit in the Gen 2/3/4's middle seat but in the Gen 5, I definitely cannot. I have to tilt my head.
    • On the plus side, the rear outboard headrests are adjustable but the rear centre headrest is fixed
    • The cargo area looks smaller but the open side pockets look a bit larger (It's kinda like the Prime but without the covers).
    • The rear floor opens to reveal the styrofoam cubby holes but if you try to reach the ones closer to the rear seat, the "wings" of the rear floor hit the sides of the cargo area
    • I like the bi-fold tonneau cover that lifts up and away. However, the level of the tonneau cover is low, so it'll limit the height of the item you can store under the tonneau cover
    • Forward visibility from the driver's seat seems good but the driver's seat area feels more cramped then the Gen 3 with the flying buttress.
    • Rear visibility is poor. Where the vertical rear window would be in Gen 2-4 is now solid plastic. Now, that wouldn't be a problem if that was part of the cargo area but the annoying thing is that the tonneau cover is BELOW that portion of the tailgate. WHY?!? Either raise the rear seatback height or lower than tailgate design or just let the tonneau cover rise so that you can have more space under the tonneau cover. Not a fan of the implementation of the interior design of the taillgate.
    • The front and rear doors sound tinny. The door closing thunk sounds like something is loose inside the door panel
    • The door switches (mirrors, windows and locks) as well as the centre console switches look and feel more premium. They have a satisfying click to them. The steering wheel buttons definitely look and feel more upscale. The Gen 4 had plastic buttons that had play (particularly the D-pad) that felt cheap
    • The climate control has nice buttons and it's the same unit used in the Crown
    • The overhead console with LED map lights looks ok and it's the same one used in the Crown
    • The shifter feels different. There's more resistance/weight to it than the Gen 2/3/4. It feels the closest to the Gen 3 (given its location) but requires a more "forceful" or "intentful" hand movement to get into D or R or B.
    • Nice cable cut out in the centre console armrest to run a cable to the plugs inside the centre console.
    • Ok sized glovebox
    • Door panels feel a downgrade from Gen 4 in the front. They're not as soft to the touch. The rear door panels get the same material as the front in the Gen 5 so it's actually an upgrade from the Gen 4 where it was hard scratchy plastic.
    • The front sunvisors have an interesting "ticket" clip built into the sliding mirror cover (Rather than a strap or a plastic clip on the sunvisor itself)
    • And the steering wheel feels chunky

Overall, there are some nice improvements (I like the pano roof, the nicer switches and the added features as well as the exterior design) but also a number of things that would annoy a seasoned owner (smaller cabin space, smaller cargo area, less storage overall).

Gokhan, mikey_t, beamsley and 8 others like this.
  2. beamsley

beamsley Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium w/ Solar Cells
    I agree with this, especially your commentary on the interior quality and ergonomics. You can tell where they cut costs, but none of it is offensive enough to call it "bad" when you consider the overall package. This will definitely be a divisive car for former Prius owners since there are significant trade offs in areas that don't appeal to them.

The biggest downside to me is the price, especially here in Canada where we won't have access to more affordable trims like in the past. The added features and improved looks are definitely a plus, but I'm not convinced it will be a huge seller at this price in the Canadian market.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I’m thinking it won’t be a big seller at all, but this might be from my Prius centric viewpoint.
    Perhaps Toyota will draw in new buyers due to the redesign .
    But even they have their doubts, based on their production forecasts

4. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Thank you for the detailed nondriving review. As Consumer Reports said, Gen 5 Prius is a less practical and less useful car than previous generations. Toyota sacrificed practicality in favor of highly subjective aesthetics. I am upgrading from Gen 4 only for TSS 3.0 and because LE/SE is a lot cheaper than my Prius Prime Limited, reducing my car payments by half. The Limited trim was the only trim with the advanced-technology package, but now, it has been standard in the base trim.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They are being conservative. I think the 35k annual mentioned earlier is more than Prius sales from the last few years.

The Prime levels are going to be low. From the Japan reveal, they are producing a little more than 10% of Prius numbers for that market. The changes in price and incentives for the US will cool sales, but I suspect Toyota is going to be short on batteries too.

mikey_t likes this.