1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My install and review of the AIMS Prius 2kW Pure Sine Wave Inverter for Backup Power Generator

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by AHetaFan, Mar 3, 2013.

1. AHetaFan

AHetaFan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This is what I have found so far to address fusing at DC 200+ volts. Your thoughts? Do you know of anything different, better or smaller?

Fuse holders:
    Search HEB-AA - Grainger Industrial Supply

Fuses:
    Fuses - Fuses - Electrical - Grainger Industrial Supply

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This looks good:
    COOPER BUSSMANN Fuse, FRS-R, 30A, 600V, 13/16 Dia, P Holder - Fuses - 1A706|FRS-R-30 - Grainger Industrial Supply

However, I thought "Little Fuse" had some nice units:
    Search Results - Littelfuse

I had also looked at a hybrid using a high-voltage MOSFET that with a relay and current detect would open the relay into the MOSFET which would then go to high resistance. In another life, I would have a 'big nice person' resistor that cuts the current down low enough that a second relay could open without 'drawing an arc.' Either way, there is almost no 'fuse' load during normal operation and then transfers to a non-ionizing MOSFET that like a stubber, ends the current flow.

Bob Wilson

[email protected] likes this.
  3. AHetaFan

AHetaFan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for the lead. It looks to me like those particular fuses are physically too large to fit in the 30 Amp in-line fuse holders I have found so far which take Midget style fuses. I think I found the correct fuse here. It is a 1000 VDC solar fuse and mentions use with inverters and battery charge controllers.
    http://www.littelfuse.com/products/fuses/specialty-power-fuses/solar-fuses/spf/~/media/Products/Fuses/Solar%20Fuses/Technical%20Resources/Littelfuse_Fuse_Solar_SPF_Datasheet.pdf

Available here
    LITTELFUSE Fuse, Midget, 1000VDC, 30Amp - Fuses - 14H360|SPF030 - Grainger Industrial Supply

These fuses are slow blow and the DC current draw is listed on eBay as 9 amps so I wonder if I should size down to 15 or 20 amp fuse?

LITTELFUSE Fuse, Midget, 1000VDC, 15Amp - Fuses - 14H357|SPF015 - Grainger Industrial Supply

edit.
    I just found some semiconductor fuses:
    MERSEN Semiconductor Fuse, 15 Amps, 600V, A60Q - Fuses - 6XPJ3|A60Q15-2 - Grainger Industrial Supply

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A fuse is there to protect the wiring. So given the gauge of the wires from the traction battery to inverter, use the DC current rating for the length to establish the fuse value. To reverse engineer:
    30A * 200V = 6kW # a little excessive​
    15A * 200V = 3kW which seems more inline with this unit​

Bob Wilson

AHetaFan and [email protected] like this.
  5. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    They look like Anderson connectors. Covers are readily available - you can get them at Genuinedealz or on eBay. Make sure you get the right size, as there are different sizes of connector depending on the current rating.

AHetaFan likes this.
  6. AHetaFan

AHetaFan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Perfect. The connectors are 50 AMP. Ordered one of each color. Thanks!

7. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A cousin to that Bussman came with my Liebert UPS, solid state design which means no chance for arcing.

8. AHetaFan

AHetaFan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks! 10 gage wire at 200 volts is good for over 60 feet at 30 amps so a 30 amp fuse is fine to protect the wiring which was all I was considering before today. All I really need is 15 amps though and there is a possibility that a 15 amp fuse might protect the inverter. The inverter wiring came with 4 fuses, two 30 amp, one 40 amp and one 15 amp. Since it came with auto type fuses I thought it wise to verify the wires were rated for at least 250 volts and change the fuse to 15 amp while I was at it. The wires are actually rated for 450/700 volts so wiring is fine.

As an extra measure of safety I think I will go ahead and order in-line fuse holders and both a 15 and a 20 amp fuses. Since both positive and negative are isolated from chassis ground I think I will fuse both positive and negative leads. Measuring either lead to chassis ground reads over 100 volts on my meter. I will install them near the battery connections outside the box so they can protect the entire length of wire and I can get to them by simply undoing the Velcro behind the seat if one needs to be changed. Now all I need is a DC GFCI :D

bwilson4web likes this.
  9. AHetaFan

AHetaFan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  10. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yup, I believe so. Unfortunately it is buried inside a box so I can't verify the model number easily. But at one point I shorted the first one I got so I had to replace it, and as usual for me I did a little research first. I thought it was interesting that nothing actually "blows" with these things, they just stop conducting electrons like a diode in reverse.

11. AHetaFan

AHetaFan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks! I'll give semiconductor fuses a try first then.

12. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The flying bridge is mostly empty inside, except for the shifter guts. I took it apart to mount the Stage 10 button shifter (great mod BTW - highly recommended!). The flying bridge has a large downward bulge under its center to accomodate the OEM shifter - with the Stage 10 shifter mounted, the down bulge is both unnecessary and invisible so I actually thought to cut it out and replace with a flat black riveted/glued plastic rigid sheet for more space under the flying bridge... might apply here for fitting the AIMS inverter (hadn't measured the theoretical fit yet). Might even work for an emergency "in & out" placement with judicious plastic heat gun adjustments... hmmm...

Oh yeah, I agree those connector look like Anderson connectors.

13. AHetaFan

AHetaFan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes. I have confirmed that they are the 50 amp Anderson connectors.

Have fun with your own inverter backup power project. I'll add connector dustcover and fuses to mine when they arrive and consider mine completed. This has turned out really well for me. I cooked lunch in a microwave in my car today :D

bwilson4web likes this.
  14. AHetaFan

AHetaFan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just added a pic of the in line fuse holders: In-Line Fuse Holder by COOPER BUSSMANN - Fuse Blocks by Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies
    With Semiconductor fuses installed: Semiconductor Fuse by FERRAZ SHAWMUT - Fuses by Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies
    Easily accessible behind the right rear seat.

I just noticed I neglected to mention that I also got the correct crimping tool for the fuse holder. The WT111M is mentioned in the information for the competing brand of fuse holder of the same design. Wanted to be certain I got a good crimp. The other crimp tools I have create a different crimp shape: Crimping Tools by STA-KON - Cable and Wire Crimping Tools by Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies

bwilson4web likes this.
  15. Ilikesilvercars

Ilikesilvercars Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How does this inverter hold up to running sensitive electronics like tv's? I have seen reports on the internet that these pure sine wave inverters are a little bit less than pure. What sorts of loads have you put on it?

16. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just received my AIMS Prius 2KW inverter today. After all of the discussion about the fuses for protecting the HV battery pigtail and connector, I am not sure whether I want to install the pigtail permanently or just connect the inverter directly when I need it.

I do plan to connect it to the battery in a couple of weeks and test the inverter and the house loads I plan to use.

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is not something you want to do when the weather is bad and in an anxious hurry. The biggest gain is use of a solid-state fuse to handle the DC current flow.

Many, many years ago, my wife and I were fishing in 100F weather and my wife pushed in a cigarette lighter. The wire feeding the cigarette lighter started melting like a fuse and I was only just able to knock a terminal off the battery in time to avoid an engine compartment, electrically fed, fire.

Fuse technology is not that hard and replacing a blown fuse is way better than needing one and not having it in the circuit.

Bob Wilson

DadofHedgehog likes this.
  18. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As always your comments are spot on. I will definitely use the proper fuses when I do connect the inverter.

My issue is that I do not know that I want to leave the pigtail connecter, properly fused, connected permanently. My biggest issue with electrical power outages has historically been with hurricanes and with hurricanes you have plenty of advanced notice. I should have plenty of time to connect the inverter and check everything before I need it.

It has been almost six years since our last hurricane (knock on wood) and power outage and I am just not sure I want to leave the pigtail connected to the battery for this kind of duration.

I will probably make this decision once I go through the process of getting to the HV battery and determining the amount of time and difficulty it takes to remove the cover and connect the inverter. From what I have read from others it is not that difficult or time consuming.

I am glad to hear you were able to avoid the engine fire. I can see where this made a lasting impression about the need to properly fuse all DC equipment.

Agree with the fuse technology. I deal with this every day at work.

Thanks for your input.

19. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  20. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The first time I made this connection to the HV battery it took me about an hour. The hardest part was tracking down some of the hidden bolts. See my signature link for full pics and description of this process. The second time I opened it up - to retighten the connections and add glue so they wouldn't loosen - it took me 45 minutes.

So if you have an hour, sure, you can wait. But making that connection is the most dangerous and time -consuming part of the problem. If you forget to remove the orange disconnect the bolts on the battery side of the relay will be live. DC is much more dangerous than AC. There isn't much room between those (potentially) live bolts and the ones on the other side of the relay where you should make your connection. Then as someone pointed out, during the stress of an impending disaster is not the time to be doing this. The very first 12 hour test I ran with my setup I was under no duress yet I forgot to turn off the A/C system even though I knew I needed to. So I wasted gas and skewed my gas consumption results. You can do far worse under duress - like connect the inverter backwards which will immediately fry it, assuming it is designed the same as most other inverters I've seen. Then there is also the matter of leaving everything half-disassembled during the disaster so you can easily disconnect later, OR you have to put everything back together and spend another hour later pulling it all apart again just to disconnect it.

As shown in the pics in my sig link, I can open my hatch, open the left wheel well compartment and plug in, in less than 30 seconds. Total time including turning off A/C, screen, radio, and dimming the speedometer, plugging in to the car and plugging into my UPS is about 3 minutes.

I used a standard 15 amp 120 volt connection so I could use a standard 25 foot heavy-duty extension cord. If you are worried about that, just use a less-standard connection like a twist-lock outlet, or a 240 volt "T" outlet (looks like a 15 amp 120 outlet but one pin is turned 90 degrees). But then you'll have to make an adaptor to use an extension cord or make your own extension cord.