1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My install and review of the AIMS Prius 2kW Pure Sine Wave Inverter for Backup Power Generator

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by AHetaFan, Mar 3, 2013.

1. AHetaFan

AHetaFan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have only attached appliances to it so far. Specifically a microwave with digital display and electronic timer, an induction cook top with similar appearing controls, the 1000 watt heaters and an incandescent light bulb. Currently my inverter is out to the manufacturer having the green power indicator led fixed under warranty. I have a small old CRT TV in the kitchen I could try when it returns.

2. AHetaFan

AHetaFan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Cool! I hope you like this inverter as much as I do. I have been impressed and pleased at how well it does the things I purchased it to do.

I have done a lot of thinking about safety and believe my setup is as safe as appropriate. I think of the fuses as protection for wiring and have located them in the harness as close to the connection to the car as practical and still be able to change fuses without tools. Short circuit and overload protection prevents damage to wiring from overheating and interrupts the flow of electricity when abnormal thresholds are reached. In this case fused at 15 amps is well below the 30 amps the wiring can handle. I believe the battery can take a whole lot more than the wiring or inverter. Solid state devices will fail much faster than most other electrical components when their rating is exceeded. From my reading semiconductor fuses are generally intended to react fast enough to protect solid state circuitry from failure through very fast reaction times which interrupt the flow of electricity before the semiconductor device reaches failure. This is the opposite of a time delay fuse. The semiconductor fuse itself is not solid state it is constructed of silver material intended to open the circuit fast and non-conductive filler to squelch internal arcing inside the fuse through lack of an air gap. Use with inverters is mentioned in the technical data sheets as a application for semiconductor fuses. I hope this provides an added layer of protection for the inverter in the event I make a miscalculation and accidentally connect a load with surge current that exceeds the inverters ratings. I could use conventional fuses in the fuse holders which are designed for 250 volts DC or more and still protect the wiring. I have not seen anything that would make me believe the automotive type plug fuse included in the wiring harness is designed for 250 VDC and I appreciate the heads up from Bob Wilson a great deal!

If installing permanently I would remove the Anderson connector from the harness and install loop terminals and in-line fuses.

For me I don't really want the inverter in the car all the time so the wiring harness with Anderson connectors makes connection and disconnection of the inverter very easy. I really like the dust caps for the Anderson connectors I purchased to go over the connectors when they are not connected to each other. They prevent accidental contact with contacts inside the connector as well as keeping dust and other objects out. When the hybrid system is off the battery is disconnected via the cars own relay located upstream of where the wiring harness is connected so there is actually no power on the Anderson connector terminals unless the car is fully powered on. Any condition that would cause the car to deactivate the HV battery relay will also disconnect the power to the inverter wiring (and inverter if it is connected).

techntrek makes a good point that other types of connectors could be used. On the DC side you just need one rated to 250 vdc 30 amps or more. If installing the inverter in a hidden location such as under the battery in the spare tire well of a PIP (if that is possible) you would probably need to run a cable plugged into the AC side of the inverter to an accessible location and there are many standard AC connection options including covered outdoor outlets or even GFCI outlets.

ftl likes this.
  3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh, I think you have done an excellent job of researching this installation and have definitely come up with a safe installation. I really appreciate your write-up and discussions with Bob over the proper fuse for the application.

I look forward to installing mine and testing it. I will let you know how it goes.

On your power indicator that you have sent back for repair, is this the green indicating light?

4. AHetaFan

AHetaFan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes the green LED power indicator not working is why I sent it in for warranty repair. I contacted AIMs and they said it should work. They gave me an RMA number. I decided I wanted it working badly enough to pay shipping to them for repair under warranty. They will pay return shipping.

jdcollins5 likes this.
  5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I connected my inverter today to check it out and make sure everything was working before the fuse holders and fuses came in. The green LED power indicator worked correctly on mine. Sorry to hear about yours.

The 2010 Liftback battery connections are slightly different than the PIP. The + white wire is connected with a right angle connector. This made it slightly harder to make the inverter connections. Plus the fact that the direct connection wires that come with the inverter have large ring terminals on both ends. I will use smaller ring terminals on my harness that I make up.

I connected a refrigerator I have in the garage and ran it for a while. I lowered the thermostat setting to get the compressor to come on which it did. The inverter output stayed fairly constant at about 118 VAC through the full range of the battery from 220-200 VDC. I let the ICE cycle on a couple of times. It cycled on at 2 bars and off at 4 bars much like when you drive in stop and go traffic and use all EV.

I am looking forward to getting my supplies so I can make up my harness similar to what you did. Thank you so much for all of your information and research.

Attached Files:

6. AHetaFan

AHetaFan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    S

Sounds like all good news.
    Thanks for the info about the LED. Hopefully mine returns fixed soon.

7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    AHetaFan,

First let me apologize if I am hijacking your thread. You have so much good information and research on this inverter installation that it just makes sense to me to keep this all in one thread for others to review.

I followed your installation and used two inline fuses with Ferraz Shawmut A60Q15-2 semiconductor fuses in the wiring harness. Since I have the 2010 Liftback I ran my harness to the cargo area and will store it in the 12V battery compartment. I wanted to keep the fuses as close to the HV battery DC output connections so ended up installing them in the Main Relay compartment. See attached pictures.

When I powered up the inverter and began running a small table fan I got a surprise that I was not expecting. I heard the car beep and looked up to find a Check Hybrid System alarm message :eek: I was disappointed that the SGII would not display a DTC message but instead said No Pending Codes. I could clear the alarm but could not get it to display the DTC.

After an hour or so of troubleshooting including removing and installing the HV battery disconnect plug several times, reviewing the harness wiring and connections, battery quick connect plugs, etc. I determined that I received the message only when the inverter was connected, even when the output was turned off. If the inverter was disconnected the alarm message did not return.

I have sent an email to Jack Chen with the inverter supplier. I will keep everyone posted of the outcome.

Attached Files:

bwilson4web likes this.
  8. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Any chance the orange battery disconnect wasn't entirely seated correctly? It has two connectors, one large one for the battery and one small one which tells the computer if the disconnect is in place. That small one can be hard to reseat properly and will throw a warning. Doesn't sound like your issue, but checking just in case.

9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    First thing I went to and opened and re-closed several times. With the small interlock connector being on the back side of the plug it really is hard to tell if it is seated properly or not. I even removed the interlock wiring connector from the stationary plug frame to check the wiring and the male and female pins to make sure they were OK.

It was after I convinced myself that the disconnect plug interlock was not my problem that I disconnected the inverter and realized that I only received the alarm message when the inverter was connected.

Thanks

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I wonder if the ground-fault detection circuit is sensing the inverter?

From memory (I'll check my sources), the earlier ground fault detector uses a 5 MHz signal to detect ground faults. Do you have an oscope to see if there are any high frequency signals on the DC lines?

If you have a high-voltage cap, see if putting it on the connector replicates the problem. It may be a simple problem of a choke to block the ground fault signal. But we need to know the frequency to 'do the sums.'

The other hypothesis is 'inrush'. The 12V inverters have caps that have to be charged when first attached. Although not perfect, a choke can temper the inrush. Can you measure the capacitance of the inverter?

Was the inverter connected to chassis ground?

Just a thought,
    Bob Wilson

11. P-man

P-man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for all the info and comments -- this is very interesting. I have one question. It's very nearly impossible to determine the state of charge of NiMH batteries (except when fully charged or discharged) by looking at the voltage. So I've assumed that the Prius must keep track of the charge going into and out of the battery in order to know when to charge it, and the approximate state of charge. Does it? If so, is the inverter hooked up at a place where the car can detect the charge going out and account for it? I'm thinking that if the inverter is hooked directly to the battery, the car might lose track of the state of charge, and not charge the battery correctly when the external load is hooked up. Does this happen?

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We don't know for sure but all data suggests they are not 'coulomb counting.' Otherwise, the early plug-in and Richard's UPS Prius would not have worked.

One of the early plug-in problems were using relays that spiked the traction battery. Relay close would spike the traction battery and trip various various fail-safe codes. Eventually folks realized the right answer was to use a DC-to-DC inverter and ramp up the charge. They had no problem adding charge from the 'plug-in' batteries to the NHW20s.

However, I've not read how the ground-fault detector was defeated. A high-frequency filter would work and a pair of chokes could do it. Just I don't know.

Bob Wilson

13. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That is what I was thinking too. I plan to measure the + and - terminals on the inverter to the inverter case and to chassis ground and see what the resistance values are. Jack Chen, with the supplier, says they should be > 1 Megohm.

I have an oscope at work that I can bring home and check this.

The interesting thing about the alarm message is that it did not come on until exactly 1 minute and 15 seconds after the car was in Ready mode or after resetting the alarm with the SGII.

No, but the inverter was laying on top of the HV battery metal case so had metal-to-metal contact. Last weekend I had the inverter hooked up temporarily and laying on top of the carpeted cargo deck floor and did not get the alarm message.

Thanks for the input. I will keep you posted of what I find.

Dwight

14. AHetaFan

AHetaFan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Everybody should feel free to use this thread. Fewer threads the better IMHO. Easier on people who search later.

Are you able to run the refrigerator you used as the load previously? I don't think the load should matter though.

The inverter has a grounding post in the AC side of the case. I have not connected that to anything and my inverter has always sat on non conductive materials so my inverter is completely isolated from the car except for the DC power connections.

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Last night, I re-read the section in ground fault detection. The only thing Vol. 1, Diagnostics, had to say was use a 500V meger and see 10 Mohm between the battery buss and ground. I could not find a reference to the ground fault signal frequency in the diagnostic manual. The 5 Mhz comes from "New Car Features" referenced in a "Prius Technical Stuff" post.

That it took a minute or so before the fault showed up is consistent with ground fault detection. It would make sense to let the car 'warm up' a little to let any fog or condensation evaporate before the ground fault test.

Let me suggest repeating the test with the inverter insulated from the car body. Then measure the voltage and signals between the car ground and inverter chassis. Use a variable resistance to find the lowest value that triggers the fault. That value x10 would be half of the inductor reactance needed at 5 Mhz on each DC leg . . . or just make sure the inverter chassis is always insulated yet still cool. . . . Heat is the enemy.

Bob Wilson

AHetaFan likes this.
  16. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No, I did not take the time to run the refrigerator again. The fan would run even after getting the warning alarm message from the car.

I had the inverter isolated from ground the first time I tested it when it was sitting on the carpeted cargo deck. This time it was sitting on top of the HV battery metal housing so it was not isolated.

See my post below about the explanation for the alarm messages.

17. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wish I had taken the time to test the resistance-to-ground of the positive and negative terminals of the inverter unit yesterday but I ran out of time. I really wasn't expecting anything this simple either so I contacted Jack Chen first.

I checked the inverter unit after getting back from church this morning and the negative terminal to the case ground is reading a dead short. The positive terminal is reading above the 200 Mohm scale of my meter. Jack says they both should be > 1 Megohm.

No wonder the car is triggering the Check Hybrid System warning message when it is seeing a dead short on the negative side of the DC.

When I tested the unit the first time last weekend I had the unit isolated from chassis ground by sitting it on the carpeted cargo deck. This time I had it resting on the HV battery metal case so it was making metal-to-metal contact to a grounded chassis frame.

I have sent an email to Jack Chen to see if he will let me open the case to have a quick look inside without voiding the warranty.

bwilson4web likes this.
  18. AHetaFan

AHetaFan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That is a surprising result. My inverter should return tomorrow and I'll check the DC terminals.

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is why fusing both DC lines makes a lot of sense. Fuses on both feeds protects the wire. But I have to admit, finding the inverter ground tied to one side makes me reconsider how I would mount it.

Our cars are 'in the rain' and I don't cotton to rain-wet tires providing a path to earth ground. I really do not want the traction battery, B- having a ground path. It only takes unit milliamps to stop a heart.

I do not mind if the AC neutral is ground but I have to think about the DC negitive. It may not be a problem but I need to think about it. For example, would a rain induced, ground fault lead to the car detecting and reporting an error?

New information, the analysis needs a fresh look. It could be a non-problem. I'd like Richard's thoughts too as well as the "Prius Technical Stuff" brain-trust.

Bob Wilson

20. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, I was really surprised too. According to Jack Chen this should not be as both terminals should be isolated to ground. I am hoping that he will let me open it and I would love to find an inadvertent ground wire to the negative terminal that can easily be removed.

I was going to suggest having them check yours before returning. Since you will get it back tomorrow I would definitely check it.