1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Letter to John Kerry....

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by InTheWASide, Aug 8, 2004.

1. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

For those of you that also are a member of PriusOnline, you may have already seen this post. I posted it over there just minutes before here. But I made a lot of good points, and even preached the mindset of every Prius driver re: the environment so I wanted to share it all with you. That said, here's my post on Prius Online.

The below text is a letter that I just emailed to Kerry-Edwards '04 base camp in Washington DC. Because of the content included in this email regarding my comments to him with hybrids, AND because of Bush's remarks (YES that is a 100% absolutely legitimate quote) that I wanted to make all of you, my friends aware of.

I know this board is full of a lot of different people and a lot of different political beliefs and I could talk myself to death into preaching my side of it, but I will just say this.

VOTE.

When you go to vote on election day, take 5 friends with you... The days of our democratic society being completely indifferent to the democratic process need to end NOW.

Without further adieu... my letter to John Kerry...

*Very Disturbing* comments made by Bush...

I had logged in to my AOL account and one of the features I enjoy is the Tv's Top 5. They take the 5 most comical, action filled, dumb, etc clips on tv from the previous day and you can vote. It was a clip apparently from the Tonight Show in which the President said the following: (and it's actually gonna take me a while to type this because I'm listening as I type it to ensure an EXACT quote) :

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful...and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people...and neither do we."

Leno apparently presented this clip in which "(His) hand to God, they did not doctor this tape in any way"
    I wasn't sure anyone had been made aware of this in your camp so I wanted to send an email. He either has absolutely HORRIBLE speech writers OR this was the most telling Freudian slip of the 21st century. With everything Bush has done to alienate the rest of the world, his comments, although they may be completely incidental, are quite true.

Going to another country and saying "I'm an American" doesn't have the same response it did when I was 14 and in Italy between 9th and 10th grades in 1996. Back then people thought it was cool and asked what we liked best about the US. If I were to go back there now, I'd be afraid that they'd hold something against me in many of the countries because of everything he has done from the war in Iraq (justified or not, we DID go in without the UN) and for taking us out of the nuclear test ban and environmental treaties.

Because of how far he has set the rest of the world back due to a complete disregard for the environment, I, at age 22, set out and have purchased a 2004 Toyota Prius, simply so I can go and do MY PART to undo what the current top official in my nation has done. I ask you to consider gas-electric hybrids along the line as a short term solution that can hopefully lead to a hydrogen fuel cell infrastructure. If we can't fix it with brand new technology NOW, let's AT LEAST minimize the damage as much as we can...NOW.

The Sierra Club has a goal of making 40mpg the MINIMUM for all new cars within, I believe it to be 10 years. While that may be a very high goal, I would hope we could at least go in the middle and set a minimum number of 28-33. These vehicles on the road that barely or don't even get 10mpg (8mpg in the case of the Hummer) These vehicles do absolutely nothing to benefit the driver (how many H2's have you seen covered in mud from a day of offroading?), the environment, OR the rest of the American people. If we're trying to distance ourselves from foreign oil, we need to make what we DO receive last as long as possible. 8mpg does NOT accomplish that.

With Bush in power, am I still proud to be an American, as I was for the 8 years in which Bill Clinton was the charismatic and well-balanced President of my country? Yes, but not nearly as much.

I'm voting for you Mr. Kerry, because I truly believe you will bring a new attitude toward this country, and get it back to the "good ol' days" I remember of 1993-2001. I'm voting for you, because you believe in long AND short term solutions to a LOT of important issues in this country. The environment, social security and homeland security to name just a few. I'm voting for you, because I dread to think how much worse we'd be after ANOTHER four years of the same administration.

Mr. Kerry, I'm only 22, and only one voice, but I will do everything I can to support you and make your goals known to my friends, coworkers and family. I believe in you, and the America you want to bring BACK to the world stage.

My most sincere blessings and good luck wishes! If anyone can do it, you can!

Brad Willey
    Long Beach, CA (Everett, WA after 9/5/04)

*On a slight sidenote, I told myself I would never put a bumper sticker on my car, but once I send this email, I'm going to order a couple! I trust in you and what you can do to revitalize the nation THAT MUCH!*

2. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Very good letter Brad. Your remark about the bumper sticker hit home. I just put 2 on my 2004 Prius -'do something good for your environment, plant Bush in Texas' and a 'Kerry/Edwards' one. In all of the 37 years I have been driving, I have NEVER put a bumper sticker on any car I've owned but I am so upset with all the bad things that have gone on here with Bushies in power, I just had to do SOMETHING. I am also going to volunteer to drive people to the polls on election day, another thing I have never even considered in the past. This election will either unite our country again or divide us further, and separate us more from the rest of the world.

The reason that the Statue of Liberty is not open to the American public is that you can't get past all the tears she is crying for the victims of 9/11 and the sad and divisive way her great country is being governed. She cries for the freedoms we have lost and the opprotunities we have squandered to show a light to the world. Let's restore her as a symbol of hope and light to the world on Nov. 2.

3. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    As a non american, I am so please to hear you say that. Unfortunatly, it appears to me theat the USA is no longer "The land of the free" and your much valued freedom of expression, speach and moverment is now little more than a memory.

I really hope that you guys get back on track before Bush screws up the whole world.

4. stevesol

stevesol Junior Member

Politics? Here?

I'm relatively new to these boards, but the amount of off-topic discussion seems to be voluminous. I guess I'm coming here to learn about my new car and don't want to wade through political ramblings or other such issues. While I appreciate that many are not happy with Bush, there are just as many who are afraid of what Kerry and his plaintiff's attorney sidekick will do to this great country. There are many issues in the upcoming election cycle, most of which seem irrelevant here.

5. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree, not a Main Forum topic.

7. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

Read that and tell me how it isn't main forum material...
    I mention the Prius, alternate fuel sources of the future, thje Sierra Club and it's current goals, and the last sentence is something I've never heard anyone phrase before.

This statement is just as relevant as every single "News Item" that shows up on the front page because it was the apparent result of www.google.com keyword PRIUS.
    How many more reviews do we need to see where someone's confused by the technology rather than taking the time to learn it and give a fair and balanced review? Anyone want to earn the extra credit and check out those numbers?

I apologize if I'm a bit in defense mode but the results of this post at PriusOnline essentially called me a nitpicking juvenile dipsh*t.
    And thank you all in here for not even replying to points made and how valid/invalid you think they are, but to simply criticize. Congratulations!

8. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There was no criticism intended or implied in asking for this discussion to be moved. The majority of the post dealt with politics, and a new member seemed concerned that there was a lot of off-topic discussion on PriusChat and I thought I would point out that there was a place for such topics on PriusChat.

Jeff

9. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The topic has been moved.

Bradca21, the Prius General forum is for topics directly relating to the Prius. Your topic is in fact, one better suited for the open forum. Saying that you bought a prius (congrats), in a letter to Kerry, does not in of itself make it appropriate for the Prius forum.

People were not taking offense at your post. However, they were pointing out that it belonged in a more appropriate area of the site. Please try not to be so quick to jump onto the defensive. We have a large and diverse group of great people here. :mrgreen:

10. Tom Z.

Tom Z. New Member

As an American, I certainly intend to do my part to put Bush out of a job in November. I'll be the first to acknowledge that the USA is not perfect. However, I'm encouraged that while the USA has endured (and emerged from) trying times in the past, we continue to keep W. Europe "on track". Examples include: 1) acting to end episodes of ethnic cleansing in the former Yugoslavia, in the face of European inaction; 2) defending W. Germany from Soviet domination, even while the Germans chose to pursue their "leisure economy"; and 3) 60 years ago acting to end Nazi Germany's brutal occupation of the rest of Europe.

11. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    Sorry, but whats that go to do with anything?

I suggest you re-read what I wrote and you will see I wasnt critisising the USA, only Bush. I was specifically thinking of things like the Patriot act that severly limits your freedom.

As for Germany, I live here, but Im not German. In fact my country was several years into WW2 before the USA agreed to help, which was in turn only prompted by a certain attack against the USA. The USA did not function alone in W Germany after the war. Remember you had south Germany and a part of Berlin. England had the north and part of Berlin and France also had a bit of both. In the end it was the Germans both east and west, who caused the fall of the Berlin wall and reunification, not outsiders.

Whilst there is little doubt (none in fact) that England would have fallen with out the Marshall plan and the intervention of US Troops, I do get a bit annoyed when some people pretend the whole world should be thankful for everything the US does, and that does not mean I dont appreciate the eventual help in WW2 by the way.

If you want to reply, please use PM as this is a car forum, not politics.

12. Tom Z.

Tom Z. New Member

Sorry, but whats that go to do with anything?

I suggest you re-read what I wrote and you will see I wasnt critisising the USA, only Bush. I was specifically thinking of things like the Patriot act that severly limits your freedom.

As for Germany, I live here, but Im not German. In fact my country was several years into WW2 before the USA agreed to help, which was in turn only prompted by a certain attack against the USA. The USA did not function alone in W Germany after the war. Remember you had south Germany and a part of Berlin. England had the north and part of Berlin and France also had a bit of both. In the end it was the Germans both east and west, who caused the fall of the Berlin wall and reunification, not outsiders.

Whilst there is little doubt (none in fact) that England would have fallen with out the Marshall plan and the intervention of US Troops, I do get a bit annoyed when some people pretend the whole world should be thankful for everything the US does, and that does not mean I dont appreciate the eventual help in WW2 by the way.

If you want to reply, please use PM as this is a car forum, not politics.[/b][/quote]
    Yes, I realize this is supposed to be a car forum. I was merely joining a political discussion that was already in progress. I can certainly understand how you'd get a bit annoyed by pretentions that the whole whole should be thankful for everything the US does. I regret that it came across that way. Further communication will be via PM.

13. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is the Off Topic Forum of a Car Enthusiast Website. There are many fora for the many different topics covered on this site. One of which is a place for our members to come and talk about whatever they feel like with people that they feel a connection with because of their choice in car.

If you go to many other Car Enthusiast sites, the most traffic is in the Off Topic sections because after awhile the Prius discussion has been covered and the natural progression is to have normal conversation with others who share a common interest.

We keep the political/cultural/Prius conversations seperate for the sake of our members and to keep everything organized. There are many members who come here strictly for the technical discussion, to ask their question and leave. And they are more than welcome to do so. But there are also those who come here, have created friendships with fellow Prius-owners and have decided to use the site to discuss topics other than the Prius. Likewise, they are more than welcome to do this as well.

This site was created for all groups of people and we welcome any type of member as long as you follow the rules and play nicely. :)

14. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

15. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

What's puzzling is that, if this administration really did keep thinking of new ways to harm our people, there should've been a lot of changes already implemented. Those billions wasted on missile defense that doesn't work would've been spent on upgrading port security, bolstering and modernizing the Coast Guard, and hardening critical structures like nuclear and chemical plants.

Apparently, none (or very little) of this has been done, yet we have several interceptor missile batteries in Alaska now that have little chance of intercepting anything but thin air.

It doesn't matter one bit what (often stupid) words come out of his mouth. His priorities have been consistent with the world circa-1991, not post-9/11.

16. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I agree that spending billions on missile defense seems to be counter productive; but I would beg to differ that little is being done. Some significant efforts at improvements have been made; but lots of publicity about any specifics regarding ongoing security improvements simply serve to tell potential terrorists what to expect.

I participated in a containerized cargo project conducted to evaluate the security of the container and its contents through the logistic and transportation system from Europe to the US. The lessons learned have been used to improve security for foreign shippers, ports, border inspection and subsequent delivery in the US.

The biggest hurdle to implementing an comprehensive secure delivery pipeline is of course the cost. The costs ultimately will be paid by the consumer in the form of higher prices and taxes.

More personnel, changes to procedures, and better training often provide additional benefit at much lower cost. For the most part, this is what is occuring now. Much more work and money will be required.

Everyone can contribute to their own personal security by being aware of their surroundings, noticing unusual activities, having a personal and family security plan on what to do if a disaster should occur. Much of this is not significantly different from how to plan for natural disasters but being perpared for the unexpected is what a plan is all about.

17. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ask Eric Rudolph about that - he was a terrorist and roamed around the country-side for years before screwing up and getting caught because of his own stupidity, not the FBI's resilience.

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I once decided to take the scenic route home from Winnipeg, along ND18 instead of the freeway. So instead of the main border station, I crossed at a little place with a house and one of those hoses that ring a bell, like they used to have in gas stations. I didn't realize that's what it was for, so I stopped and knocked at the door and waited a few minutes for the agent to appear.

If I had just driven through, chances are he'd never have known a car had passed. And if he'd seen me and I had wanted to smuggle something in, chances are pretty good I could have gotten away before he could have gotten a highway patrol car on to me.

I imagine anyone willing to hike across the border could do it pretty easily. Probably the main reason it doesn't happen is that essentially everyone who wants to come in from Canada is allowed, so there's not a lot of need to sneak across.

19. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The container used for Operation Safe Commerce was shipped from Europe to Montreal, CA; and from there was trucked into the US. There is a lot of shipping destined for the US that lands at Canadian ports.

Every port in the world needs to improve its security. In the past the target was against theft; today the primary threat is terrorism.

20. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

I was actually thinking of shores as in Canada's northern shore. As I understand it, western Canada is lightly populated. Would it be at all conceivable for someone to land a small, private ship at a remote location (not a port) in western Canada in order to bypass port security? Hop on the highway till you get within 20 miles of the border, then hike/mountain bike your way through the wilderness to the US side, and get back on the highway.

I know its pretty wild and far-fetched, and its tough to bring much more than a person can carry on his back, but it seems virtually impossible to keep any one person out of the country if s/he is determined enough to get in.

Then again, I live right outside of Washington DC, so my vision of the vast American/Canadian wilderness might be way off base. Good thing daniel is here : ) How feasible is it for a dozen men to hike across North Dakota in pairs and 3s and not get noticed by anyone?