1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Little Mini Cooper Project

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Rebound, Oct 28, 2022.

1. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It all starts with an oil change…

I never needed to do much work with my Prius, which has been trouble free for ten years and 160,000 miles. But all the DIY maintenance I did improved my mechanical skills, so when a friend offered to give me her old 2004 Mini Cooper with a blown clutch, I agreed to take it on. I’m going to give it to my son, who’s in college.

It needed a LOT more work than a clutch. It was leaking oil badly, so I bought every single oil gasket there is, except for the head gasket. All four shocks were leaking. It needed new brakes. The serpentine belt was shot.

First thing I did was remove the engine and transmission. The clutch was bad; shredded. This was a major cleaning effort, then I put on the new clutch and flywheel. While I had the suspension apart, I decided to replace all the ball joints and suspension bushings. Last Sunday, I turned the key. No start. After some troubleshooting, discovered that I’d removed a bolt from the starter. Difficult to access, but I managed to get a bolt on and it fired right up.

68462015747__421826CA-A8FF-4D9E-AEBC-9422A37987D5.jpg
    Here's the car with the engine/transmission removed. I kept the AC condenser and compressor attached to the car.

shredded clutch Medium.jpeg
    This is the completely shot clutch disc.

IMG_7706.jpg
    Inside the transmission bell housing. Now we've found the clutch material!

IMG_7721.jpg
    Cleaning, cleaning, cleaning...

IMG_7752.jpg
    New transmission seal, throw out bearing and sleeves installed in my nice clean bell housing. Then I'll bolt it together and it will never be seen again.

IMG_7798.jpg
    Clutch bolted back on. Needed the whole slam, of course: Pressure plate, throw out bearing, and fly wheel.

Supercharger Cleaned.jpeg
    The supercharger, well cleaned, new gaskets, its oil changed, and a new water pump fitted.

IMG_7857.jpg
    Engine hoisted and ready for reinstallation. At this point, I removed the oil pan and replaced its gasket.

IMG_7936.jpg
    With the engine mounted, I began engine reassembly: Put the supercharger, alternator and AC Compressor back. Then I re-attached the electrical connections. I pulled the timing cover off and replaced all the gaskets inside there as well.

IMG_7949.jpg

Now the radiator and AC Condenser are re-attached and I'm able to turn the key.

Attached Files:

#1 Rebound, Oct 28, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
    Xterra72, xliderider, bisco and 3 others like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Wow, you're not one for half-measures! (y)

Rebound and Zythryn like this.
  3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m in awe of the job you took on, and the skill in performing it:)
    Well done(y)

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    huh, you know this is PRUIS chat, right?

6. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well… after twelve years here, it’s more like family.

Zythryn likes this.
  7. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you’ve done all the Prius maintenance stuff, including an EGR/EGR cooler replacement, you can do this. It takes more tools and it’s more steps, but it’s pretty much the same thing on a larger scale. There are some new tools, like a big breaker bar and a big torque wrench and the special jacks… but if we look at any particular step, the skill level is no higher. The part cost is higher, though. And it was a learning experience compressing springs to install the shocks and installing ball joints and taking the suspension apart and putting it back together… but there are good guides available on YouTube that made it clear enough.

#7 Rebound, Oct 31, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2022