1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Major Surgery saga on my 2013 Prius V.

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by gromittoo, Jun 30, 2021.

1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK.
    That's not unreasonable at all.

2. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'll bet the Head Gasket Still blows........ but usually not till 150,000 and up......

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't know Tim; his cleaning is pretty timely. He just still has to deal with intake manifold if memory serves.

('Course I did cleaning on ours at 70K...., kms. Never one to shirk a little OCD. :oops:)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Traction Battery, Brakes, Inverter,

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I took our old 2010 past 200k miles and no blown head gasket:).

But I cleaned the egr circuit at 120k and 175 k miles;).

The egr circuit cleanse is a good measure(y).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I bought a 2013Tesla Model S85 Yesterday. $27,000
    Mine blew 79,000 miles after cleaned the egr system 260,000
    But I've seen plenty on this and other forums where it blew under 150,000
    Or started burning oil.....
    Mines had everything go out except the oil burning....but it does use a bit and
    it's not getting worse.
    No where as reliable as my previa and camry.
    An neither has had any major problems and they have lots more miles.

8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I don't know about the rest of you but I was sure Mendel looked like this:

1063055A-07F3-44F1-A9CC-11B932B8A0C9.jpeg

Joele3, Tim Jones, gromittoo and 2 others like this.
  9. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Just to clear things up, I have not done any cleaning of the Intake manifold, yet. That is planned for late July along with Inverter Coolant, and Trans Fluid. Basically, I decided that this week I would only complete anything that requires pulling off the Windshield wiper shelf this week, vs Things I can do without touching the wiper shelf.

I had the embarrassing situation last night of my right wiper stop working in the rain last night. After I dropped off my passenger, I bought a 14mm 1/2 inch drive socket at a Home Depot. I keep a 1/2 breaker bar and a 22mm socket in back for faster tire changes.

I did Uber last night, but I didn't grab any data. I will do that before going out this afternoon. This will be an interesting data point. It will be with the cooler and EGR cleaned, but the Intake still dirty. I am curious how much the EGR FLOW INSUFFICIENCY value will change.

I expect some improvement. I tried blowing air with my mouth through my clean eBay cooler, and the one with 94k miles on it. The clean one felt like blowing through a 25cm long piece of 2cm pipe (about what I would expect). The dirty one was much harder, like a 25cm long 1cm pipe, and it sounded like I was having an asthma attack. Perhaps I could develop a way of measuring the flow restriction off the vehicle of the Dirty one, vs. Once I clean the dirty one.

Once I do the intake, I will get some more numbers for EGR FLOW INSUFFICIENCY. It will be interesting to see how much more the numbers improve.

If anyone else tries to repeat my experiment, they should do the cleaning in the reverse order:
    - Before starting, get numbers
    - Clean the Intake and EGR tube only
    - Get Numbers
    - Clean the EGR and EGR Cooler.
    - get numbers.​

This would give hints as to which is more important: Intake vs Cooler. I suspect that they are equally important, but I would like to see the data.

There is another proposal for people who anticipate doing an EGR clean-out sometime in about 40k miles or more. It would be useful if they checked their EGR FLOW INSUFFICIENCY at every 5k Oil Change. We can then plot the data, and see trends. I wonder if the trend (presumably going up) would shed insight as to the ideal time to do the cleaning. Does it go up linearly, or does it stay close to the same, then suddenly shoot up (Line vs. Hockey Stick)?

#49 gromittoo, Jul 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  10. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I got an unexpected value when I connected TS to my car. EGR FLOW INSUFFICIENCY was 20.56! This is the first data point since the partial cleaning, and I had almost no highway miles over 55 mph. My average mileage was a bit lower too. Maybe the computer needs to re-adjust itself. It was also cooler than it was last weekend.

Another thing I noticed is that I have a P0102 permanent code. I briefly had started the engine with the MAP sensor disconnected. I would expect this to clear

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The test value, FWIW, is a higher-is-better deal. It is the amount by which the manifold pressure changes when the EGR valve opens and allows exhaust to flow into the manifold. When the change falls below the test minimum (of around 1 kPa), the P0401 code will be logged.

You can see there's a "max" value for the monitor also (in general, an OBD monitor could have a min and a max), and the "max" in kPa is 655.35, the kind of number that shouts (to people with a computing background, anyway) that the "max" doesn't matter for this particular test.

Some scan tools will show the values in psi rather than kPa, which makes things less obvious (converted to psi it's 95.05, which isn't a number that jumps out at you ... though it might make you wonder which hoses and fittings would blow off first if there were ever 95 psi pressure in the intake!).

Edit: so, yes, your 20.56 is an improvement. That seems to be in the ballpark we've been seeing for cleaned systems.

However, don't let that lull you into not cleaning the branching ports of your intake manifold. The single MAP sensor is not able to tell whether this newly free-flowing exhaust gas is flooding some cylinders and starving others.

Too bad about the P0102 permanent code. I got one too, the same* way, turning the system on with the MAF sensor inadvertently unplugged. I still have it a year later. The confirmation driving pattern given in the repair manual seems to be missing some key step. If you ever find out what the missing incantation is, please report back. :/

*same: are you sure you didn't also have the MAF sensor unplugged? You wrote MAP, but MAF is what the P0102 is about. MAF is the one up high on the air box; MAP is the one down low on the intake manifold, next to the throttle body.

#51 ChapmanF, Jul 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you can get to it, I’d get on the intake manifold cleaning sooner than later. It’s Exhaust Gas Recirculation passages can be the last log jam. No need to disconnect coolant lines on the throttle body, a walk in the park.

I believe I posted intake manifold info (torque values) earlier? If not I’ll get on it.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looks like Elektroingenieur found it ... key steps are in the 2011 manual but didn't make it into 2010. I don't have that permanent code anymore. (y)

gromittoo likes this.
  14. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I recall seeing that you did post the torque info.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That Description of driving at about 50Mph, then Flooring it to run at 62-75MPH for 5 seconds, would not have happened yet. My Uber driving for the past two nights has been almost all city driving, and the highway driving was during heavy traffic that limited my speed to under 55Mph.

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Don't feel bad, it didn't happen for me for a year.

17. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Looks kinda like a Redneck...............or a geek or both............

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Mostly decrepit.

Tim Jones likes this.
  19. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Those steps allowed me to clear the P0102 code as well. Starting at 55mph, and flooring it for 10 seconds got rid of it.

Tim Jones likes this.
  20. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Latest Status:
    4 data points with a cleaned EGR Cooler and EGR, but still dirty Intake manifold:
    #1 - 20.56
    #2 - 15.68
    #3 - 15.60
    #4 - 15.66

Question: What length and diameter brush will it take to do the long passage of the Intake manifold? I am guessing 18 inches long by no more than 1/2" diameter. I had it open, I didn't think to measure it.

I don't think the brushes I bought at Harbor Freight are long enough. It is even hotter this week, so I probably won't do Manifold until next week. That will give me time to order the right size brush. My next-door neighbor suggested I drop the manifold and the dirty cooler off at a machine shop for cleaning.

#60 gromittoo, Jul 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2021