1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Mile/MPG Break Even Point - Volt vs. Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by F8L, Dec 6, 2014.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I took this photo the other day so I could remember the numbers and play with scenarios in the future.

The end MPG number is pretty close to what I used to average in my Prius and since it is the official EPA number for the Prius it is a good reference point.

Depending on how you play with the numbers in terms of gas and electricity prices, the cost per mile to drive the Volt vs. the Prius will generally even out somewhere between 70 miles and 150 miles. For me, it was right around 130-150 miles because I often have free electricity or pay very low rates. For others, like those who pay Southern California Edison rates, the number of miles to break even would be much much lower.

In the example (picture below) I drove 70-80mph on the freeway and a little faster than the speed limit on city streets. The weather was in the low-high 50s that day with very heavy rain and standing water. My Prius in the same conditions and speeds would have been in the 45mpg range but I used 50mpg when I did my calcs.

Anyway, I just thout I'd post the picture for those wanting to see worst case efficiency numbers for the Volt since most people only post the good stuff. MPG= 31.7, Miles per kWh=2.81. FWIW I usually average 3.8-4.4 miles per kWh and 34-37mpg.

Attached Files:

Tideland Prius likes this.
  2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Justin,

Glad to see you on this board again...

Are you saying that the Volt vs the Prius even's out on LONG trips or SHORT trips? I note your lifetime is well over 100 MPG, but the current tank is saying 50 something.

It seems logical that the data would say LONG trips is the even out point since the VOLT uses electricity much better than the standard Prius does when referencing the battery only usage on the Prius (golf cart mode) (EV Mode) and the limitation thereof on the distance that can be traveled solely on battery power.

Nice display with plenty of info for the volt!

Ron

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    what is your total miles and ratios of electric to gas so far?
    what is difference between Summer/Winter numbers? guessing it wont be as much as I see but should see at least a little?
    have you seen any degradation or changes in performance? Due to tire wear, you should see a slight increase from the early days

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My ratio is sort of split into life phases.

Pre-breakup and long commute (100 miles/day min.) = 60+ percent
    Post-breakup and shorter commute (38 miles/day min.) = 85+ percent
    New GF with no charging at her place = 70+ percent. :)

Most of my miles were racked up during the long commute so it's a slow grind to get my ratio up. I went from approx. 92mpg lifetime average to 110mpg lifetime average and then dropped down to 105mpg due to a few very long trips over 900 miles. I'll probably settle down to 80% Ev to Gas ratio with my current driving patterns.

No signs of degradation yet. I usually see a total of 10.4-10.7kWh used after a full charge and the ICE turns on. Regen braking can really screw with this number though as it will subtract the kWh used if I do a lot of regen braking on hills. I'm surrounded by hills. ;)

I swapped out my tires at 5/32nds tread due to a tire failure (broken bottle). I noticed some efficiency loss with the new tires but it's not enough to bother me. I can still make my entire commute with only a single charge if I drive 65mph and take it easy. Because I have cheap charging at work and free charging at home I don't take it easy....

For my needs 50 miles of AER would be really nice as it would allow me to keep the ICE off much more often but I'm not complaining. I will complain about slow charging though. Grrr

Sergiospl and dorunron like this.
  5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I Ron!

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse. I meant the break even point will be different for everyone because of the multitude of variables. We generally try to pin the break even point at around 70 miles or so. At which point the Prius becomes more economical but that is not the case for me and it certainly isn't the case for those with high electricity rates or gasoline prices. I'm simply showing how bad the Volt can be in mild but incliment weather and with horrible driving. :)

It's sort of like a Prius owner only showing pictures of a 60+mpg display or a Volt owner only showing 49 miles of EV and 42mpg. I'm doing the opposite. Hopefully it will help people make better choices on their next car purchase.

dorunron likes this.
  6. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't see anything wrong with the Volt here, you just drive too many miles on 1 charge and too fast. With my 31.2 mile daily total commute, I would use gas only when i leave town.

F8L likes this.
  7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. That's why I wish for a 200 mile range affordable cool EV. Short of that I would love 50 miles of EV and an efficient ICE like the GenIII Prius! hahaha

8. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not necessarily think of savings. IMO, there are 3 really good things about a Plug-in hybrid like the Volt. Yes, dare I call the Volt a Plug-in hybrid!
    1. Charge at home
    2. Electric driving
    2. Absolutely no range or charge anxiety

Check this out! A Two-Day Battle to Charge My Car Convinced Me We're ... - Wired

#8 Sergiospl, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    dorunron and F8L like this.
  9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    My ratio is nearly the same as yours. For 2o14, I should drive about 16,800 miles in the LEAF and roughly 5,600 miles in my Corolla. The Corolla was purchased due to a year long experiment I am running on the value of good used car verses Electric. Granted, determining ROI is a very personal thing and highly dependent on one's location and transportation options and needs but it appears even with everything that can be tipped in the Corolla's favor, the LEAF will still win. There is still a few weeks left to go before I even start crunching the final numbers so we shall see.

As my transportation needs evolved based on work demands, I am now considering a lease of a Fusion Hybrid mostly because I know someone at the dealership who can get me a really good deal and my expectation that I will be getting the longer range LEAF in Dec 2016 when my current lease runs out.

F8L likes this.
  10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You went 134 miles with 2.64 gallon of gas so it is displaying 50.8 MPG. That's just gas consumption. You also used 18 kWh of electricity.

With 15% charging loss, it used 0.63 gal equivalent.

Your total fuel economy is 134 miles divided by 2.64 + 0.63 gals = 41 MPGe.

To compare fuel economy with 50 MPG Prius, you should use 41 MPGe.

Since you got free electricity, your cost is just the premium gas. So, I understand why you would want to focus on gas consumption.

For those who pay for their own electricity, fuel economy is more meaningful.

#10 usbseawolf2000, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  11. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a feeling/speculating that GM will also announce a 200 mile Ev in January.

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't like to confuse things with that horrible MPGe garbage. It's more accurate to calculate actual costs using the current prices for electricity and gasoline. So as you can see the actual economics are very dependent on the specific owner. Some people pay for all of their electricity, some pay for none and others pay for only some.

silverone and dorunron like this.
  13. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Excellent points. The MPGe numbers are nice to have, but bottom line is the cost/mile based on how and where you drive. And of course, there's the cost of the cars to consider, though that is subjective because they all provide difference levels of comfort, features, performance, etc. Probably 70% of our miles are long-distance trips over 5,000 miles, while 80% of daily use are trips under 10 miles, so I' still not sure if I should consider a PiP/Volt when I get ready to trade (3-4 years). I pay between $.10-$.13/kWh, but I never checked to see what changes I'd need to make to the garage (charging station?) to add a PiP/Volt, how much (extra?) that costs, etc. I don't see a lot of PiPs, Volts or Leafs here. Obviously, the Leap is out of the question unless I want 2 cars and since I'm retired, there is no commute involved. The more I drive the Prius, the more I like it, so I'm totally sold on hybrid technology and don't want to be left behind as the technology improves.

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's all I'm trying to do here, DAZ. Provide info for people like you. :)

HybridBull and dorunron like this.
  15. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    zz
    And I appreciate all the info provided here. I probably should have looked harder at the PiP before I bought the Prius, but chances are I would have made the same decision because of the price premium. My guess is it would take a long time to recoup the cost difference with so much of my driving being long trips.

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    LOCATION does far more to spread "garbage" in reality. At least with MPGe, there's a clear understanding that it is just a standardized measurement taking all fuel energies into account.

When a tread like this is starting, it provides a great source of real-world data for readers to analyze and comment about, but it is so far off from reality for those living in the north, there's no benefit from it. In fact, without a disclaimer of it only be representative of mild-climate driving, the data can be very misleading.

That's why comparisons being the regular model Prius and the plug-in still don't have any generalizations associated with them. You just plain cannot. It doesn't set an appropriate expectation. The fluctuations in temperature make are far too much of an influence. So comparing to a totally different approach, like Volt, skews outcome even more.

Sorry, but that's the reality of the situation.

dbcassidy likes this.
  17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Which is why I supplied the weather and driving conditions that went along with this graphic. I was not trying to say this information would be representative of folks living in more extreme conditions. It's just one more data point. Since the majority of hybrids and PHEVs are in mild climate zones I think it is useful information.

18. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    MPGe uses a scale that is not realistic so it should only be used in a passing reference only. MPGe is like using the EPA MPG rating without regard to what ou actually pay at the pump. I see people do this all the time to justify their gas cars when they don't realize they get 10-20% less efficiency in Winter.

I use a "cost per mile" instead since it covers what we all understand and that is the depth of "out of pocket"

but when I say my LEAF has averaged 1.92 cents per mile this year, do I not include free charging?? no but then again, I do include charging fees, so IOW, my figure is a measure of real life. It is the ACTUAL out of pocket expense I experience.

F8L likes this.
  19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Fuel price differs. To compare efficiency, use EPA MPG(e).

As for the point of OP, to break even, the price of electricity and gasoline would play major role.

For me, if I use electricity for highway, it would be more expensive than gas. So, highway capable EV or PHEV is not for me.

F8L likes this.
  20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    it is highly dependent on your situation and in my case, I have one of the lowest electrical rates, top solar program and top 3 gas tax rates in the nation so its also a no brainer here

usbseawolf2000 likes this.