1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My name is Dave and I'm addicted to cats

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Dave_PH, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Ceres

Ceres Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Cats bring such great joy to one's life! I really hope you will take the plunge and adopt a cat or two for your home. Their antics will entertain you to no end.

And what's wrong with being a crazy cat lady??! Well, minus the "crazy" part...

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Other than the "Lady" part! Crazy I can live with!!!

3. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You people are a bunch of cat enablers.

I'm going to check into the cat that visited Sunday. If she's not available I guess I'll have to clean up around the house and get ready for a home inspection by the cat rescue people.

I've got 14 cans of catfood, a 5 lb bag of litter and a litter tray. A cat seems like a logical addition.

4. Dipena

Dipena Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, but I hope you realize that any cat worth its salt will decide that it does not like the flavor of cat food you bought nor the texture of the cat litter that you purchased.

1 person likes this.
  5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My advice is to avoid a Persian or other longhaired cat unless you really enjoy using the vacuum cleaner. We have a 5.5 lb white Persian that produces at least 5 lbs of hair each month.

6. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Definitely. That'll be the first thing they do to start my training.

Some people worry that someday thier cats will steal thier identity and kill them. I don't. I know they'll always find a use for me.

7. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My visiting cat turned me into a Turkish Angora fan. they only need 1 brushing a week becasue they have a light undercoat. It's worth it for a cat that likes to swim and is usually smarter than thier owner..

Plus, you can use that hair.

Catty Shack Creations

Shed Happens.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just be strong and resist (this coming from someone who currently has three, which is down from six a few years ago.)

They're all in league together. They suck you in with their cuteness and then reveal themselves as demon-spawn.

Seriously, cats can be great, but they can also be challenging. Be careful of this new found addiction, forming your own pride can be extra challenging. Cats aren't really social by nature (OK, they're more social than many given them credit for, but they're not dogs) and it takes some work to get them to live peacefully together unless they all start off young or just have really compatible personalities.

Oh, yeah, they really do have distinct personalities. If you haven't really embraced that yet, you will. It can be both a good thing and a bad thing; like most things with cats this too cuts both ways.

Good luck!

PS Buy a tube of Neosporin and some bandaides, you'll want them. ;)

9. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    And sometimes they malfunction.

10. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hey, I've seen that post before.

11. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I had two consecutive cats when I was growing up, one that lived with us at the same time as a dog she kept in line. My mother was the real cat wrangler back then but I've been reading up and building a good theoretical knowlege of cats lately. I've even done a lot of breed research. It's time to see if I can apply the theory. Granted the best I can do is hope to be an adequate servant for a cat but I'm ready to take up the real world challenge.

12. Ceres

Ceres Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    I second that. Neosporin is my (skin's) hero.

13. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I went over to speak to the possible owner of my visiting kitty tonight. The dog was still the only one who responded to the doorbell. My visiting kitty wasn't there but I got meowed at and semi-approached by the other cat living in the bushes. She wasn't the black hunter that has shown up in my back yard and roof. She's another mostly Turkish Angora. Mostly black with a white bib. Possibly mom. One of her hind legs is mostly missing. She hobbled toward me, meowed and rubbed at a chair but backed up either because I moved forward or because I was closer to the door where the massive dog was barking.

The dry food conainer is empty. I'll go back at 8:30. If the owner isn't back I'll see what the neighbors down there know. I'd gladly adopt both, run them through vet checks and turn them both into my indoor cats.

This has to be diplomatic. I can't just go say "You suck as a cat owner, waterboarding is too good for you". Maybe this woman has rescued the cats and is afraid to keep them in the house with the dog while she and her kid are away on some family emergency. She's the ex-wife of "Ted the Cable Guy who I met once when I moved in.

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Makes sense to me. ... though I always bought the 25-pound bags of litter. Five lbs. doesn't last long.

15. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The 'owner' still isn't home but the 3 legged cat has been identified living there but outside. Her name is 'Peg'. She started to hobble down the walkway to say hello to me when I was walking by but then stopped and hobbled back.

Unfortunately I just had 2 different neighbors near there confirm to me that the owner of the house where Peg lives is as big a psycho as the people in my area of the hood said she is. I'm not looking forward to the conversation.

I did get to meet a few cat owners down there because each house pointed me to a new house that had cats so I could check to see if my visitor was one of thiers. No hits so far.

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not get your own cat? Kittens are so adorably cute, I can't imagine missing out on that part of their lives. Plus, it will bond with you much better, and won't have so many 'issues' picked up from the crazy cat lady.

17. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No there's nobody at my house 12 hours a day. My SO travels on business 3 weeks a month most months and is in the office the forth week so I'll be responsible for the cats. She wants them but I'll have to deal with the shit, literally and figuratively.

Kittens can be a handfull, they need to be socialized an need a lot of play. Faye the show cat is full grown cat and a cuddler. She wasn't up meowing and knocking stuff around all night. I had a kitten for a week about 10 years ago and gave it back to the owner becasue she needed daytime companionship and was at full energy after midnight.

18. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    cats are deceptive. you really like the purring and the little creature that just loves sitting with you, and then you're hooked. then, in our case, we discovered that we opened our home to a pair of total psychos. i am unconvinced that they are actually cats. they may be evil beings from another dimension.

or, they're just broken/programmed wrong. i do not know.

19. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's why I get a kick out of Hyo's opinion of cats. I like the psycho part of them too.

[​IMG]

20. perryma

perryma New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius