1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My name says it all

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by supernoob, Mar 20, 2008.

1. supernoob

supernoob New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just picked out an '08 Calypso Red with Pkg 2 for our new family car. My wife and I are replacing an '00 Sienna with 120Kmi. My car is in '03 MR2 Spyder (heavily, and I mean heavily modified, for example 2ZZ-GE engine, 6 speed, Power FC aftermarket ECU, basically all the NA performance mods one can do, my own auto tuning program running on at tablet PC, and so much more that it clearly crosses the line between hobby and obsession). All I've ever owned, with the exception of a beater a long time ago, were sportscars. So a Prius is a big switch for me to drive, but I like it, so long as it is just the family car and I get to keep my Spyder. :)

The Prius is our 5th Toyota and we're both very happy with it. I was actually very surprised that it had any "oomph" at all and liked the build quality and engineering, so I gave in to my wife's desire for a hybrid. It is clearly the best hybrid technology available today.

I don't plan on doing any performance mods to the Prius (that would be kind of silly, IMHO), but would be interested in tapping into a video input of the MFD for a GPS application (using the large display instead of that of a laptop or some other device). I realize there are small GPS devices that can be mounted on the dashboard.

Another question is about the rumor of a turbocharged Prius which will get ~100 MPG. Any confirmation? If true, I'd consider trading in.

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :welcome:

Haven't heard about a 'turbocharged' Prius, but supposedly a PHEV (plug-in hybrid electric vehicle) is in the works, which should get that kind of mileage. OEMtek is one company that does this as an aftermarket installation, but it's pricey ($12K currently) and only available in California. Hymotion and others are working on it (supposedly edrive systems too, but their website hasn't been updated for over a year, I'm not sure what's happening).

There are mods you can do to the Prius, some for appearance, some for performance, in this case performance generally meaning better gas mileage, a freebie is increasing the tire pressure to 40/38 psi. And some just for improving usefulness, like shaving the tab off the rear window wiper so you can actually lift it up (another freebie).
    There are separate forums discussing all that. I just got a scangauge II, so now I can monitor the engine load, battery voltage and water temperature, etc. Not that it normally really buys me much over the information already available, but if something should go wrong, I should be able to get a good idea what's happening before bringing it in. Also in the winter when I block the grill, I can make sure the engine won't overheat, but in Florida I somehow doubt you'll be blocking the grill.

3. supernoob

supernoob New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was wondering why the car seemed a little too prone to wander on the highway and found that the dealership set the pressure to 40PSI all around. I did get 49MPG on a long trip, so I decided to leave them that way, but they should be 35PSI according to the owner's manual.

Here's where I saw the rumor about a turbo: Next Prius: 100MPG, Turbocharged?

It makes a lot of sense to recapture some energy this way.

4. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota recommends 35 front and 33 rear actually. Tire pressure is set as a compromise of handling, ride, lifetime and mpg. Most people here take a small hit in ride for the boost in lifetime and mpg and bump up the tire pressure to something around 40 front and 38 rear. The tires are rated for 44 psi. The debate is if there's any effect to handling.
    It has electronic-assisted steering, I don't notice any difference from hydraulic steering in other cars, but CR apparently did, and being a car guy you might also. Or it's in the tires.
    That's from 2006, just so you know. I haven't heard anything lately on this, if it's still in the works, they're keeping it quiet.

5. supernoob

supernoob New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The car seems overly sensitive to crosswinds. I don't think it is the tire pressure. Still very happy with it, though. Drove 2000 miles this past week.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just make sure you have a 2PSI difference between the front and rear tyres because the Prius is rather nose heavy.

You can add/replace braces to improve crosswind stability if you wish.