1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My neighbor plans to buy a minivan/SUV

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by mcsj, Aug 11, 2006.

1. quagmire0

quagmire0 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San_Carlos_Jeff @ Sep 7 2006, 03:38 PM) [snapback]315916[/snapback]</div>
    You raise a good point, but I still maintain that most people don't really NEED their SUV or Minivan. Most are just going by what society says is the norm - when they could honestly get away with a midsize sedan.

I'm not even looking at it from an enviromental standpoint - I'm thinking purely financial. You are using all that gas and spending more money for vehicles you don't even take full advantage of.

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(quagmire0 @ Sep 7 2006, 01:06 PM) [snapback]315885[/snapback]</div>
    When it was just me, my parents had a Mazda GLC (we called it the glick-mobile) and my dad had a Taurus.

After my brother and sister came along, my mom upgraded to a Ford Econoline Family extended van with 2 bucket seats and 3 rows in back. We also carpooled so there were often 6-7 kids plus one adult during commute times. We also went camping for 1-2 months out of the year and had a tent-trailer and gear to haul around (we went just about anywhere from Mexico to Oregon).

Several years later my father upgraded to a Ford Bronco and my mom to a Ford Aerostar (minivan). We got rid of the tent trailer as the Aerostar couldn't tow it and the Bronco's hitch was too high~the back of the trailer was centimeters off the ground.

Several years after that my mom realized she missed the space the large van offered and got another Ford full-sized van (2 bucket seats plus 2 full rows) which she kept until after my sister was done with soccer, my brother was done with hockey, and I was done with high school.

She then got a used Lexus SUV which she drives solo 90% of the time because she likes how it sits up higher than your typical sedan.

In the meantime my father temporarily downgraded from the Bronco to an Aurora that was gifted to him by his father, then a Civic that was also gifted to him by his father, then eventually a Honda Pilot after his father/my grandfather passed away earlier this year (he said the Civic was too small).

Wow my post sure got long winded...sorry about that! :eek:

3. NorwoodIV

NorwoodIV New Member

I personally am severely allergic to minivans, but give your neighbor a break.

If she's carpooling, and hauls a bunch of gear around, so be it. The Corolla gets very respectable mileage. At least she's not buying an Escalade or Navigator. She's clearly choosing a vehicle for utlity...

For a long trip, even I would rather be in a minvan than a Prius. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but it's not for everybody.

If she starts wearing fur, or gets baby harp seal seat covers, we can all "grab a torch and pitchfork..."

4. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcsj @ Aug 11 2006, 05:41 PM) [snapback]301745[/snapback]</div>
    You know, it's this kind of thinking that makes me embarassed to be a Prius owner.

I have three kids. I cannot fit the three car/booster seats in it. (I know others have done it, but I am NOT going to buy three new seats just so they will fit. If you want to buy them for me, then fine, otherwise DO NOT bother posting about this). We must now carefully plan on who and how we transport the kids. My wife drives an SUV and can easily fit all three kids (and three other adults if necessary!).

Your neighbor is doing the RIGHT thing. No need to compromise ones life simply for the sake of getting better gas mileage. Every time we have to figure out who is going to pick up who and when curse the Prius's limitations and miss my SUV. I still love my Prius though, as I drive over 100 miles every day, but I wish it wasn't so limiting.

What it comes down to is let everyone drive what they want. It is their choice and not for you to judge.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(quagmire0 @ Sep 7 2006, 04:34 PM) [snapback]315971[/snapback]</div>
    I work at a school. The parking lot is full of SUVs. They arrived in the parking lot with one driver. I doubt there's much carpooling going on. I also doubt they are being used to carpool the kids around since this staff is at school before their kids and are still there after their kids are out of school. I also question exactly how many of the staff goes offroading or camping.

No, they don't need an SUV. They just want one.

6. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcsj @ Aug 11 2006, 05:41 PM) [snapback]301745[/snapback]</div>
    The reason you don't understand this is that you don't have kids.

There is nothing more convienient for a family (even of 4) than a Minivan. With all the room, the adaptable seating, athe safety, nd the good ride and economy they really are a neccessity IMHO.

They should however get a Minivan, they're a lot handier than an SUV for a family because of the flat load floor and seating configurations.

Anyways, modern Minivans get mileage almost as good as sedans or wagons now.

Sorry, but a Prius, or even a Subaru wagon just don't compare. The day we have a kid is the day the Prius gets traded in on a Minivan, hybrid or not. In fact, if my fiance would let me I'd trade the Prius in on a Rav 4 or Highlander (yes we'd get the Hybrid) tomorrow, simply because while yes the Prius holds a lot of stuff, its no replacement for an SUV as far as travelling and such go. I miss having one around. I wouldn't do a Minivan because it would be overkill, but a Rav4 would be perfect for us at this stage in our lives. She drives so little, the overall cost of gas change would be small.

As to the people who think people drive Minivans because they want them, they need a reality check. This may be true for SUVs, but people drive Minivans because they NEED them. Nobody wants to drive a Minivan.

Amen, I've never met a group of people more sure they know whats good for everybody else than Prius owners.

7. Stringer

Stringer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Sep 10 2006, 02:10 AM) [snapback]317107[/snapback]</div>
    Funny how families here tend to driver around in wagons with childrens, dogs and luggages. They don't seem to complain. I guess its more like a big ego requires a big car with some excuse, let it be this time family. On the other hand, if you have at least 4 childrens, I guess the minivan really could be useful.

8. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No offense, but you live in a completely different country and have no idea what the needs of American families are. What works for you or people in your country doesn't neccisarily work for others or people in different countries. Take 2 kids a dog and enough luggage for a week and drive 300 miles in a station wagon and then a minivan and tell me which is the better trip. As for economy, theres not a whole lot of difference between the economy of a van and of a wagon, minivans just arent that common in Europe thats why you dont see them. Companies have all but stopped producing wagons here simply because they aren't as practical as minivans for the American family.

As for 4 kids, well when you have 4 kids even a minivan gets too small and you have to start looking at bigger options. Thats one reason why we only want 2 kids, the world is built for 4 people.

As for ego, again if you think people buy Minivans out of ego you're totally out of touch with life in America. Minivans aren't status symbols, and people don't want to drive them. They are, however, extremely practical.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Think of the minivan as the caravan in Europe.. minus the bed and stove and fridge of course. It's a utility vehicle that makes it easy to travel with lots of people and cargo. They're not as fun to drive as the mpvs you have over that. In addition, the minivans here are much larger than the mpvs over there.

However, I can see your pov, Stringer. A station wagon (estate) can haul 5 and luggage in reasonable comfort. They can be equipped with awd, have a lower centre of gravity and are probably more efficient if we're talking about cheap, 4 cylinder wagons.

I think it's really just the culture. Here, cars are spacious whereas in Europe, they're "just right".

10. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Who decides what is a "good" reason to buy any vehicle?

If you have more than 4 people in your immediate family, it's considered a "good" reason to get a minivan.
    If you're single and have no pets, it's considered a "bad" reason to get a SUV.

Based on what? Haven't we all learned people do what they want. You can't argue someone's preference.