1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My new In-Dash car PC project. Android x86 maybe

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TheForce, May 27, 2014.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have stumbled upon a neat little computer called the Intel NUC. This looks like the perfect car PC to me. Why do I want to install a computer in the car when an Android tablet or phone will do? Well a PC is more flexible on what it can do for one and two I want to do it just because.

Here is a link to my previous build.
    My In-Dash Car PC project | PriusChat

So why am I upgrading? Because I think I can take back my trunk space with this Intel NUC. I think I cam hide everything under the seat or some other hole I can stuff everything in. Plus my current PC is running XP and I dont want to be running XP anymore. I prefer Linux and Android x86 Seems to be perfect for a car PC. Kind of like having a tablet but also having a full power x86 PC.

Here is my plans so far.

1. Intel NUC Kit D34010WYK
    Newegg.com - Intel NUC Kit D34010WYK, Mini HDMI, Mini DisplayPort, USB 3.0, 4th Gen Intel Core i3-4010U, Consumer Infrared sensor

2. G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) -- Only 4GB installed. Extra 4GB will be put into my Insight computer build. Dont need more than 4GB for a car PC.
    Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory Model F3-1600C11D-8GRSL

3. SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-MTE120BW 120GB mSATA -- Only need 120GB for my music and stuff.
    Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-MTE120BW 120GB mSATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

4. DINO DCA101-HV HDMI to VGA converter
    Newegg.com - DINO DCA101-HV HDMI to VGA+Audio converter

5. Keeping my current Liliput screen.

6. wifi/bluetooth/gps -- Still need to figure out what ones to get.

7. A car PC power supply so the NUC will turn off properly when the car is turned off.

Now here is where things might get a little complicated.

I want to use Android x86 on this computer. I will need to find a USB GPS that works with Linux/Android. Should not be too hard.

Worst case if I cant get Android working I will go with a win7 install with the ride runner font end. Kind of like my setup now except it will run win7. I would prefer to find a good Linux front end for the interface if I can find one.

This is just a placeholder until I can actually start buying the products. I will update this post with the final build info. Should be able to start on it by July.

If you have any comments or suggestions feel free to post them. I wondering if anyone has built a car PC with Android x86 and the Intel NUC. Both are kind of new and there is not much about the two together.

2. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. ccdisce

ccdisce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jay,

The intel NUC webpage has a free Android 4.2 just load it on to a blank USB stick and load it into a disk partition.

The Centrino version of the NUC runs off 12V 3A and may be a little more convenient to power in a car if it has enough computing power for your apps

Google Play has a free GPS demo app but no maps.

w