1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My new LED high beams

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by GustoGuy, Aug 30, 2021.

1. GustoGuy

GustoGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I got tired of replacing my halogen high beams every year. I just put in a new set of LED high beams which I got on Amazon.com. they are rated at 12000 lumens and appear very bright. Going to try them out tonight. They are supposed to last 50 thousand hours so hopefully they do.

KevininFl, privilege and drbtz like this.
  2. drbtz

drbtz Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got some from ebay, they're ok at best. Little brighter than my halogens. Honestly I should've shelled out for a better brand because I bought some cheap Chinese stuff but I like their look at any rate.

3. GustoGuy

GustoGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Actually 1200 lumens. 120000 would blind you

Attached Files:

4. drbtz

drbtz Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Let me know how those go if you would! I had my eye on them but went with another brand. If they work well I'd probably pick up a set.

5. saltdiscus

saltdiscus Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2014 prius and had a hid setup for a while but it was getting too dim.I got Hikari achme X H11led from Amazon for 99 dollar and it's like night and day.Finally I can see even in rain and they have a free upgrade to 2022 version next year.It is 1:1 with halogen build so there is no driver flashing.I had to take out my negative 12v to reset my computer.

TGrracie, privilege and KevininFl like this.
  6. GustoGuy

GustoGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Tonight at home I parked at the end of the driveway. Here are the pictures low beam and high beam. The light is a nice bright white light and it sort of makes the road signs pop. The lights are not any brighter than the halogen lights. I bought them be cause In the last year I replaced my high beams bulbs and thes light should be cheaper since they are supposed to last longer. ​

Attached Files:

privilege likes this.
  7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is hard to tell the beam pattern with the garage lights on.

It appears to be that the cutoff is right at the base of the garage door. If you can, move up closer to the garage so that the cutoff is higher up on the garage door. Also, please turn off the front lights on the garage/house so the beam illumination is easier to see.

The really bright hotspot in front of the car on the driver's side with highbeams is a concern, it is glare that will actually cause your pupils to close down, limiting your nightvision.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#7 xliderider, Aug 31, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  8. GustoGuy

GustoGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    20210519_003104.jpg
    I will try and rotate that light in order to reduce that intense bright spot. The lights have 2 spots on each side with LED's and a partial rotation of the driver's side light could help to reduce that bright spot right in front of the car. The benefit of the lights is that they emit a very white light which really seems to make road signs almost fluorescently glow when compared to the stock LED low beams. I have the Five edition which has 2 LED progecter lights inside each headlight. I bought my Prius in November 2017 and I have never needled to change my low beam LED's which possibly are 11 years old since the car is 2010 Prius Five.

#8 GustoGuy, Aug 31, 2021
    privilege likes this.
  9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ah, so you have a five with OEM LED lowbeams. Cutoffs shouldn't be a problem then.

#9 xliderider, Aug 31, 2021
  10. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I've noticed that also... any reflective material will give huge reflectivity. it's great for road markers, animal eyes, signs etc and they throw light much farther down the road.

my only gripe (if you can call it that) is I wish the temperature range (color) of the LEDs was easier to find. daylight colored LEDs are fantastic and easy on the eyes. "white" is a little harsh. it's really easy to slip up and order an overly white/blue LED and end up with really bad color for night driving

11. GustoGuy

GustoGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    They are 6000k color. Close to the natural daylight which is 5800k. The 7000k are blue and potentially illegal in some states.

privilege likes this.
  12. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not concerned with road legal status... I've seen so many purple lights with the rear end dragging the ground and the front pointed at the sky...I Don't think common sense is being enforced.

but

I would like it to be easier to find color ranges on the LEDs that are for sale. (on Amazon)

13. GustoGuy

GustoGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I noticed when I put the LED bulb in I had it oriented like this on the driver's side headlight ( 20210902_015601.jpg \) since there are 3 tabs you can rotate the bulb and I placed it in this orientation ( -). That removed the bright spot on the driver's side headlamp.

xliderider likes this.
  14. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That looks much better, no hotspot in front of the car.

However, there's now a massive amount of light thrown up high on the garage door on the driver's side. Hope you drive on empty rural roads where you will not pi$$ off other drivers in front of you or approaching you from the other direction.

15. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :LOL:

16. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

ooof, that's not good. too much light up high.

17. GustoGuy

GustoGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ironically I seldom get flashed from other drivers with the new LED high beams. They have a nice bright white 6000k spectrum light but they are no brighter than the halogens which gave off a much more yellowish light. I usually drive back roads and I dim my lights at 1/4 mile away like a respectful driver should. The headlights make road signs and painted road lines shine almost fluorescently compared to halogens. I hope they last for many years and don't fail like the halogens did since I was replacing them almost yearly and the halogens are not cheap especially when your replacing them every year.

privilege and xliderider like this.
  18. gnafrada

gnafrada New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I changed my low beams to Auxito and love them. Looking to replace my other prius to these Novasight. Do you have the low beams as well? How do you like them?

19. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

cool, if you're not getting flashes that's a good sign.

20. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The OP has OEM LED lowbeam headlights on their level 5 trim. No need for aftermarket bulbs.