1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My new PiP - helpful comments appreciated

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Nobody123, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Nobody123

Nobody123 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you look in this picture, I kinda wish that Weathertech would provide additional coverage in the front as well, and even if it's just more coverage on the dead pedal/footrest if they're worried about unintended acceleration.

[​IMG]

2. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Yeah, I already bought the OEM cargo tray. Actually, in Canada, this was a real problem, since Toyota Canada doesn't carry it, and dealers in the US aren't supposed to sell it to Canada. I eventually found it on eBay.

I got two generic cargo nets from eBay as a birthday present. The fit isn't as perfect, and the build quality is probably worse, but they work for half the price. Unfortunately, the OEM ones aren't available from Toyota Canada either, so again, eBay is the only viable option.

It's strange. Toyota Canada sells the PiP everywhere in Canada, across the entire country. However, they don't sell any accessories for it, except for the block heater.

3. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My sentiments, exactly. I find it so strange Toyota couldnt do better on the stupid steering wheel. But since you seem to be handy with your cars, this might interest you: JDM Prius Steering Wheel | PriusChat

One of the first things I did and probably one of the best things I did to my car (its close, between the steering wheel and sound proofing the doors so they dont sound like they're going to explode when people close them)

You should check out the Gen3 Accessories and Mods fourm, if you havent already done so. You may find much more similar company. :)

4. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Rough steering wheel? Is it plastic or something? Mine came with the faux leather upgrade.

5. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, its plastic in the base.. which is fine.. but its rough like sandpaper.. its been a while since I handled the stock steering wheel, but I want to say maybe something along the lines of 120 grit? :p

6. Nobody123

Nobody123 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And I actually want the block heater. Go figure.

7. Nobody123

Nobody123 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thought I was a manly man with my manly hands. Nope.

If I'm going to cut up my hands, it's going to be lifting dumbbells or doing carpentry. Not driving my stupid car.

Tracksyde likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ouch, i must have thick skin. i guess that'll happen if you hang out here long enough.:p

retired4999 likes this.
  9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^the better to mash dough with! :)

10. Nobody123

Nobody123 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I also got a Weathertech TechShade®Windshield Sun Shade, part number TS0043.

It's a little difficult to put on and take off, but once it's on, fitment is great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nice color(y), One might even say the best color!!:D
    Enjoy! Your new ride!

12. Nobody123

Nobody123 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I got a set of Weathertech Side Window Deflectors in Dark tint, part number 82504.

[​IMG]

It was a little difficult to install at first so I got some help from my home shop: B&T Motorsports | Automotive Performance Shop in Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]

The instructions that came with it were a little generic. The front went on fine but we had a little trouble with the rear. I went back and watched Weathertech's installation video and figured it out.

On the Prius, you're supposed to install it front to rear, but the instructions say rear to front. The shape of the rear window makes rear to front installation very difficult.

So after a while I figured it out.

[​IMG]

#32 Nobody123, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  13. Nobody123

Nobody123 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Because this is my summer car (I have a RAV4 for winter use), I want some lighter wheels and summer tyres.

I went to Tire Rack, and the lightest wheel they recommend is Enkei Racing RPF1 16x7 +35mm at 13.7 pounds each. The only issue is Tire Rack's warning:
    I believe they put this warning on all their lower offset wheels just in case some people lower their car excessively.

You can read all about it here: Wheel Tech Information - Offset

Before I ordered, I did a quick calculation to see how much the wheel/tyre would stick out compared to stock.

[​IMG]

The stock wheel is 15x6 +45mm. This means that B is 121.2mm and A is 31.2mm on the stock wheel.

The stock tyre size is 195/65R15, which means that B is 155.1mm and A is 39.9mm on the stock tyre.

On the RPF1, B is 123.9mm and A is 53.9mm. This means that the inside of the wheel will be 2.7mm towards the inside compared to stock, and the outside of wheel will be 22.7mm more outwards to the fender compared to stock.

Tire Rack recommends 205/55-16, which means B is 142.9mm and A is 62.1mm. This means that the inside of the tyre will be 12.2mm outward compared to stock, and the outside of the tyre will be 22.2mm more outwards to the fender compared to stock.

So the bottom line is the tyre will stick out about 1" compared to stock. I took a rough measurement and it looks like there is more than 1" clearance, but it will be close.

[​IMG]

#33 Nobody123, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your pic looks like my neighborhood so I am looking for PiPs

15. Nobody123

Nobody123 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am in Middlerige. Is that your neighbourhood?

16. Nobody123

Nobody123 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I ended up ordering Enkei Racing RPF1 in 16x7 +35mm wrapped in Yokohama Advan AD08 R 205/55R16.

I weighed one wheel/tyre assembly with wheel weights, TPMS, hubcentric ring, center cap, and extended length lug nuts:
    [​IMG]

Tire Rack says the wheel weighs 13.7 pounds, and the tyre 21. 13.7 pounds + 21 pounds = 34.7 pounds.

That means 36 pounds - 34.7 pounds = 1.3 pounds. The wheel weights, TPMS, hubcentric ring, center cap, and lug nuts weigh 1.3 pounds.

I haven't had a chance to weigh the stock wheels yet so I'll find out later. Another member claims that the stock wheel/tyre assembly weighs 37.5 pounds. If that is true, then this is already a saving of 1.5 pounds of unsprung weight per corner.

#36 Nobody123, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    Tracksyde likes this.
  17. Nobody123

Nobody123 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Test fitted the front. To be fair the car is sitting on a 30* incline so that exaggerates the front wheel gap.

[​IMG]

Fitment is pretty decent. No rubbing when turning. Good clearance to the strut mount.
    [​IMG]

Fender fitment is very flushed. If the car is lowered I would probably need to rol the fenders.
    [​IMG]

Rear fitment. Again the incline exaggerates the wheel gap.
    [​IMG]

Clearance to the shock mount is excellent.
    [​IMG]

18. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    And the hit on MPG is...

19. Nobody123

Nobody123 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't have enough data to answer this question, but the premise of your question assumes that
    there is some loss in efficiency.

Everything I've done so far (floor mats, cargo mat, window deflectors, etc.) adds weight, but improves the functionality and comfort of the car. It's about finding a balance that makes each person comfortable without drastically reducing their quality of life.

The biggest carbon reduction anyone can do is to reduce their daily commute for work, which I already do since I work from home. I feel that everything else I can do on top of this is just extra credit.

The only increase in rolling resistance is in the tyre width and compound. Everything else I have done actually increases the efficiency of the car.

I'm also going to get the car aligned to help the suspension operate more efficiently and reduce rolling resistance.

All of these things should offset the inefficiency added by the new tyre. Any difference leftover I can live with because these tyres provide superior traction and makes the car much more enjoyable to drive in traffic and safer in emergency manoeuvres.

#39 Nobody123, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Darn close...I am closer to the Walmart you look to be closer to Kohls and BCX (my fill-up station code for Burke Center Exxon).