1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My new Prius Gen 1

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Brian in Tucson, Apr 3, 2017.

1. dabard051

dabard051 Tinkerer-in-Charge

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    oops, spoke too soon... wife called today, in the middle of a turn the steering just froze... could NOT turn the steering wheel with all her adult strength. Coasted to the side of the road, called a tow. I found the car in the tow lot, and yup, the steering was locked up.

With the engine running, it felt just like a steering wheel that has been turned until it locks when the ignition is OFF. I wrestled with it for a couple minutes, then heard a "click" from somewhere inside the steering column inside the cabin, and viola, we were ready to roll. On the drive back home, I stopped in a parking lot... and the steering seized on me as I was backing out of a parking space. After maybe 20 minutes of wrestling, I was able to wiggle the steering into moving again, and limped the beast back into my driveway.

No fault codes or engine lights. So the car thinks it's healthy.

My first thought is to tear the steering column apart (come daylight) and see if anything is worn around the ignition switch/anti-theft interlock.

BUT: if there is discussion of Gen I steering issues of this sort of symptom already in a thread, point me there... thanks.

2. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The brakes are really weak & the brake and abs lites are on as well as the little triangle. & an audible tone. Not too worried, used brake booster pumps and accumulators seem to be readily available on Ebay.

I think she had it diagnosed. I'm going to get the laptop and the techstream stuff fired up tomorrow to see what's showing. And to check the battery condition. It ran better today after getting pounded on the interstate for 8 hr. than it did yesterday after 18 months of inactivity. I got the car with the idea of making it a parts car. For now, it's status is promoted to a fixer upper. Gotta get it cleaned up first, tho. It needs gas, good to replace the old stale gas. Repairs and some normal maintenance will bring it back.

I didn't completely expect it to start so easily yesterday. I brought an electric winch to pull it on the dolly. It wasn't needed. Whew!

3. dabard051

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Brian, spongy brakes are a symptom of air in the brake line... before ordering any parts, I would inspect all 4 wheels and see if maybe one of the rear brake cylinders is leaking, or if there is a hole on one of the brake lines. I had that happen to an '02 that my son was driving; replaced the rear brake cylinder. Later had to rebuild the entire hydraulic line system aft of the rear axle as the lines were badly corroded with northeastern salt effects. If the beast has been sitting, there may also be water in the brake line, so a bleed and brake fluid refresh may be easier than parts replacement.

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  4. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One more thing to check I guess. Pretty sure it's the pump and accumulator, tho. Brakes are pretty stiff, but they don't have any bite. And all the warning lamps and chimes are on. I'm going to go ahead and order one, anyhow. Found a nice lower mileage one for a decent price.

Other stuff. washed up and is pretty straight and clean silver. The traction battery, according to tech stream, is very good high cell is 15.42, low is 15.22. Believe it or not, the 12v has come back from total & long discharge to above 12v. I'll keep my charger on it pumping 3-4 amps into it for a day or two and see how it goes. Batteries were a major concern and so far are not a factor. Fluids look clean and topped up.

Mileage is 200,620. Interior is soiled but should clean up. Without disclosing the exact price (not polite) I can say I've got about $800 in it.

Funny thing, there are locking lugnuts on the wheels. She did include the key to get them off (whew!) but why would anyone lock those wheels and tires on to the little, inexpensive looking car?

I'm in puttering mode today. My eyes are really tired and my lower back aches from all the miles. Did I mention I picked up a screw in one of the truck tires and had to change it in the parking lot of the motel? However, my 22 year old Dodge Dakota did a wonderful job!

5. dabard051

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ah, yes, the recovery trail... reminds me of the time I picked up an '03 in Pennsylvania, and trailered it back home behind my '05 Ford Freestyle... that was an adventure, and the '03 (which needed a new traction battery, plus a set of tyres) is still on the road, just ticked over 270k miles...

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  6. Linda L

Linda L Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Brian, it was the first (previous) owner who put the locking lug nuts on the car, not me!
    I had a not so fun experience of having a blowout on Interstate 10 about two weeks after I bought the car, and almost had a heart attack when I realized the car had those locking lug nuts. Wanna know where I found the key? In the little compartment in the floor of the trunk (under the carpet) to the right of the spare tire compartment!
    Glad you are having good luck so far with your new acquisition. It served me well.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That sounds very much like the nut on the end of the steering pinion, for which there is a recall.

I would totally let Toyota take care of the recall procedure. It involves a new nut you get one chance to tighten correctly; an "oops" means you replace the rack. You don't want to be the one saying "oops".

-Chap

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Because I'd steal 'em myself if they'd fit on a Gen 3. Gen 1 was the last Prius ever came with good looking wheels.

-Chap

ronlewis likes this.
  9. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was really relieved to find the key in the console box. A verbal "THANKS!" even. I washed it today, Linda, it's a nice car!

10. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. dabard051

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update. Took the Prius to my local Toyota dealer for steering diagnosis. They showed me that the rack & pinion assembly was cracked, and likely to be the cause of the steering lockup. Thanks, Chap, for the earlier post about the possibility that the recall campaign might have been improperly executed; but that wasn't it. I have access to a used R&P assembly. So, how tough is the swap job, and how critical is the recalibration of the steering ECU? Can it be done without techstream? I have Prius-aware code reader and ScanGauge II, but not a techstream (yet, and might be a while). Thanks in advance...

12. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have the appropriate manuals? You can get Bishko copies of the factory manuals @ Rockauto for about $103, minus the 5% and plus shipping. I haven't checked my manuals, but I imagine it's going to be medium difficult to do. If you don't already have Techstream already, you should be getting that as well. Mine cost $25 for the cable & pirated software, plus $36 for a nice, ancient XP laptop. Seems like whatever you do on a Prius, you should disconnect the 12v & the HV batteries. There's a master disconnect for the HV battery in the trunk, leftside on the back end of the battery.

I found a nice brake booster & accumulator assembly on Ebay for $90, btw. Much lower mileage at 100,000 miles or so. Should be here on Friday, guess what I'm doing (in 90* weather!) this weekend. And I know it's gonna be medium difficult & time intensive.

13. dabard051

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    more items for the to-do list... I had a set of manuals for NHW11 on CD, but I can't put my hands on them immediately...

14. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Progress (and spending money.) My booster pump should be delivered tomorrow. Kinda waiting til it shows up to start disassembling stuff. Keeping it somewhat mobile. But doing other stuff like detailing work, etc. I may start the initial disassembly today, tho. Really feeling impatient actually drive the little thing. And I ordered a cloned GPS dvd that's supposed to be the newest/last update that will work on the 1st Gen. Car is probably fairly rare, having a dealer installed, OEM GPS system. Seems to work but I have no idea if the system is at all useful.

I put some new wipers on yesterday, Anco Hybrid wipers. Very sleek and aerodynamic on closeout from Rockauto for $7 a pair. (-5%, plus shipping.) They look nice, and the windshield on the 02 looks to be relatively new. Also getting new spark plugs, Autolite Iridium XP3924, $3.95 each and a $2.50 each rebate. There are a lot of stickers on the car between the state of Texas and the previous owners. Heat gun today to soften them and then razor blade them off.

And checking the fluids, the inverter coolant seems pretty low, so I bought some Toyota SLLC coolant full strength from Amazon for about $33 per gallon. They also sell the diluted stuff, but I hate paying for distilled water from Japan. & a pair of Wix oil filters, too.

15. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Been slow on this forum lately, so I thought I'd update on the progress.

The booster pump I bought on Ebay wasn't a booster pump after all, it was a brake actuator (brake pedal attaches to it.) Nice one, too, probably worth twice what I paid for it. The seller took it back and issued a refund, no fuss. Even paid for the return postage. Kudos to Nordstrom (no kidding!) car parts in S Dakota.

I got a booster pump in a local yard for $24.95 plus tax. It's in and the brake are bled. All the symbols and shrill chime are gone and the brakes are good. I need to do a brake pad job, but that's minor. Oh, and I replaced the wheel locks with normal lugnuts.

Some stuff, the thing needs a good cleaning and to have the seats and carpet shampooed. So far I haven't found any $100 bills or even any change. But the center dash is pristine, uncracked and no scratches. The car needs a front bumper cover. Maybe I'll go out to the junkyard today and get the one off the 02 that's there.

I've put a hundred or so miles on the car, trying to get the readiness monitors to clear & yesterday they all cleared except the evap monitor, which smog check doesn't require. Unfortunately the car set a code for a bank one catalyst insufficiency, so it's back to the drawing board. I have a couple of Denso O2 sensors on the way from Amazon. And I'll see if that takes care of the problem. My buds at Midas (who are good guys here!) are going to do a courtesy inspection tomorrow the see if the cat is okay. If it isn't, I'll spend the money for a new (aftermarket) cat and installation. The cat is way up in there to try to get to, so is the upstream O2 sensor. So I'll have them do the work if need be. I suspect that both are accessible from up top.

The car has a working GPS, so I bought the last update (2013?) DVDs, there are 2. I tossed the 02 version in the trash.

Driving the car, it runs good but the best it will do on mpg is about 43. New air filter, getting a set of new iridium plugs today. Tomorrow is the last day on my three day permit. But they only charge a dollar for another. The car seems to be okay, the batteries are normal, the exhaust is pretty loud, so one way or another a new muffler is in the cards. I noticed a leaky strut, too. I haven't started on checking that out. So far, Linda L.'s little project car is better than expected. I couldn't be happier.

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Probably the best guidance you'll find anywhere for getting the rack out and in is going to be in the technical instructions for the B0G pinion shaft nuts replacement safety recall. Just follow the first 19 pages to get the steering gear out, skip section IX about taking it apart to change the nuts, and go straight to section X to put your replacement rack in.

-Chap

17. dabard051

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Brian, evap monitor... you might get that one with a new gas cap. But do have a look at the fuel fill tube where the gas cap seals.

IF the fuel fill tube is corroded, especially where the gas cap seals against that tube, corrosion may prevent a good seal from being formed. On a couple of elderly Prii that I've worked on, I've use a dremel and bronze brush to remove corrosion from the fill tube.

I re-sealed the fill tube surfaces which touch the gas cap with clear nail polish. After it dried, put back the gas cap.

Also, look at the gas cap and see if there is any rust stuck to the elastic rubber which needs to seal against the fill tube wall. Remove that rust so the rubber can do its job and seal properly.

That car then promptly finished the evap test in two drive cycles.

Chap, thank you for posting the link to the 11V304 pinion nut replacement procedure. It's helpful.

18. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, it turns out that Evap is the one readiness monitor that doesn't trip the smog testers computer.

I ordered a cat & new muffler yesterday from Rockauto. The guy at Midas okay'd them installing it and my new O2 sensors for an hour of labor, $100. Impressive! If I had a lift, I could do the work myself, but it's just a little tough trying to do it in the carport. The parts are on the way.

On another note, the previous owners "mechanic" installed the spark plugs without using antisieze cream. While I'm waiting for the exhaust, I have to soak the plugs in PB blaster. It's a no-no to install spark plugs into an aluminum head without antisieze! Gotta do it before getting the new cat, so the PB blaster has a chance to burn off.

19. Linda L

Linda L Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Those spark plugs were replaced by the Toyota dealership! So much for thinking they'd know what they were doing. Not really surprising, though, considering my other dealings with them.

20. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a reason some people call them Stealerships. My last experience was at a Chevy dealer with my old 89 Tracker. It would hunt for an idle 1200 to 1900 rpms. You would think that nothing can get by a dealer, but they're just people, too. And a lot of the stuff that lazy or bad mechanics do never come back to bite them on the butt, you would think that Denso plugs would come pre-buttered with antisieze cream.

Plugs are done, tho. Couldn't find the PB Blaster can, so I bathed them in WD40 and enough sneaked down between the threads to lube the plugs. New plugs got the copper butter, by damn.