1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My new Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by SuperGLS, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Prius NZ

Prius NZ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    SGP looks a great colour. I don't think we have that here or i would have gone for it.

2. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My first commute yesterday was 55.5 mpg on the way to work and 68.6 on the way home from work (from the computer, not calculated obviously.) If I keep that up I'll be set for 600. I have a 125 mile mostly highway trip coming up on Sunday too. Excited!

I got the Entune sign up email yesterday. Should I even bother? I have an iPhone 5.

3. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had a choice of silver or gray, I thought the silver would be cooler in the summer and show less dirt IMO

4. chulbert

chulbert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't foresee Entune as something I will use. You need to pull out your iPhone, connect it by USB, then launch the app manually. If I'm going to pull out my phone, I would just interact with it directly or use Siri.

This is why I desperately want Toyota to get on board with the "iOS in the Car" initiative by Apple. Auto manufacturers need to just throw in the towel and accept that smartphones have everything a user needs and cars should be a mere interface for them.

5. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Forreals. Oh well. I do have an old iPod Touch that I can probably leave in the center console hidden away. Maybe I'll get the app on that and give it a try. Does it charge the iPod via the USB while it's plugged in? I hope so, otherwise what a waste.

Commute today: 57.1 going in and 69.0 coming home.

6. chulbert

chulbert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, it charges quite well. Better than I've seen in some other cars. Toyota might be pushing higher voltage through the USB.

7. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm dumb, it won't work on an iPod Touch will it? Doesn't it need the cellular service or does the headunit handle everthing? Sorry for the newb question.

8. chulbert

chulbert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You will be able to play music loaded on the iPod Touch; however, the Entune services require the cellular Internet connection of a smartphone.

9. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, makes sense.

Today I took it back to the dealer to change the reverse beep and take off a dealer sticker I overlooked in my excitement to get the car. Feeling better already.

And tonight I got the best (computer calculated) mileage so far. 23.0 mile trip home from work at 70.5mpg. At about 193 miles so far I' at 61.5mpg total.

10. TheLos

TheLos Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Those are some great numbers!

11. TheLos

TheLos Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Those are some great numbers!

12. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I would suggest as an alternate goal to the 600 mile club, try to be in the club that never runs out of gas in your Prius, that's where bad things begin to happen, not worth it to be in a "club".....IMHO

13. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'd like to be in that club too! Trust me, I don't want to run out of gas either.

However, 600 miles seems reachable. If the miles to empty meter generally gets to 0 when you still have 1.5-2.0 gallons left (if my experience with my wife's Prius is anything to go by) and I get to 550 miles on the tank when I hit zero miles until empty... well, I probably have enough to get there as my MPG seems to be in the 57-59 range.

I took this 120 mile trip yesterday and afterwards my overall tank MPG didn't change. Still sitting at 62mpg (computer calculated.) On the way out, 66 turns from 55MPH to 70MPH. So that's why I took a different route back from Warrenton and then I took 495 because traffic looked bad inside 495 on 66 and on 395 where they are doing some roadwork.

14. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Best MPG reached tonight on the way home: 75.5. Interesting too because I had the AC on the entire time at 74 (82 outside) on two lines to keep my groceries cold.

Still on my first tank but down to 2 "bars" left of gas.

Can anyone confirm that when you get to 0 miles to empty that there is a fixed amount of gas remaining or can it vary? I don't know if I'm brave enough to go for the 600 miles on the first tank, my current mileage + the miles to empty gauge gets me to about 545-550. Does it definitely have another 50 miles in it at that point (based on my commute to work being 55-58mpg and my commute home 67-75mpg)?

15. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Got to 545.3 when I hit zero miles to empty. Readout says 62.5mpg total. Since this is my first tank I might just take it 23 miles more and see how much the fill up is and then I'll have a better idea of what to expect on the next tank.

Probably a more sensible approach.

16. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  17. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    After six fuel-ups I'm still going strong. With the colder weather the MPG has dropped to 55mpg on my last tank, but I'm still pushing it past 550 miles on a tank. Even with the drop in fuel economy there is still plenty of gas in the tank (over a gallon.)

Do you think the drop, as outlined on my Fuelly account, seems right concerning the temperature difference between warm late August and kind of cold November?

I think I might get my first carwash today.

18. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The 600 mile club….WHY? Running out of fuel in these cars can be a real pain, and if you do, trying to limp to a gas station on electric only can do some real damage, the Prius is not like a regular car, oh and if you run our of gas, it takes a 3 gallon fill to get it started again, might I suggest trying for 60 mpg instead?

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just carry on topping up your tires with regular air, unless you have nitrogen readily available. Our atmosphere is already 4/5 nitrogen, and the remainder mostly oxygen. A more apt description than "nitrogen fill" would be "oxygen free".

The idea is that oxygen tends to bleed out of tires more readily. This in turn lowers tire pressures if you're not vigilant, which in turn might lead to lower mileage. That is the ONLY mpg benefit in nitrogen fill.

We got a tire replacement, on a previous car, at Costco, which promotes nitrogen fill. Just before taking it in to them, I removed the valve caps, and after the tire change, drove directly to a Chevron (free, regular air), raised pressures to my preference, and replaced the dorky Costco green caps with the black ones I'd taken off.

Addendum:

Automatic car washes? Unless that's your only option, bad news. They will not get your car clean in the corners, and you won't see the dings, until the rust starts blooming.

600 miles tanks? A fools mission, concentrate on good mileage, not how far you can stretch a tank. Pushing the limit only IMPROVES the odds you'll be hiking down a road with a gas can, and/or frying your battery when you try to get to a station in "limp" mode.

20. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oh, I got to 600 on my second tank, so now I'm not worried about that anymore. Just trying to get the best MPG now.

Though I don't know why people are so scared of getting to 600. It's not that hard. If you are getting good MPG then it's just a byproduct of doing so. 700 is a different story, though some say that's easy too!