1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My new RAV4 Prime

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Prime_Time, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Prime_Time

Prime_Time Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Managed to find a RAV4 Prime SE in Southern California at MSRP plus a few accessories. Paid just over $40k + taxes etc. but I'll get $9,500 back in tax credits and local rebates. I didn’t expect to find one at MSRP but I reached out to quite a few smaller dealers outside the city.

It is the super white color which looks nice and clean and a bit like a storm trooper.

I’ve only put around 100 miles on it but I’m super impressed. This thing really got some pickup on it but I’m not pushing it yet too much. Despite only getting the SE model with no packages it’s pretty loaded with heated seats and tons of safety features standard (TSS 2.0 I believe). Hybrid mode I’m getting mid to high 30s MPG with AC cranked and being 115 degrees yesterday.

I’ve only done a few miles of EV so far as I couldn’t plug in much when it was like 120+ in my garage.

Very impressed so far. Rides great, smooth, quiet and handles like a smaller vehicle.

12EEFB38-42B7-41C2-91CD-F4F0354A4AAA.jpeg 1ACD465F-A645-4486-B126-932FAB05B881.jpeg

#1 Prime_Time, Sep 7, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    1x1, hill, orenji and 6 others like this.
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. Congrats on your new ride. You may be the first one on PC. So far, I have not seen any in dealer stock around me.

Prime_Time likes this.
  3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Correct. New Car Features (more info) says, “The preventive safety package ‘Toyota Safety Sense 2.0’ is used to support safe driving.”

Like the earlier TSS-P, TSS 2.0 uses a millimeter wave radar sensor (behind the emblem) and forward recognition camera. It adds detection of bicyclists, Lane Tracing Assist, and Road Sign Assist, among other new features.

4. Prime_Time

Prime_Time Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Just want to give an update here a couple months in. I love this vehicle. I mainly using it for driving around town so 98% electric. I currently get around 50 miles per charge. I went on one long trip and got around 36-38mpg on the ICE.

I’m going to get a hitch for a bike rack installed soon. I’m really appreciating the extra space and power over the Prius.

5. Adriana Barsotti

Adriana Barsotti New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a Rav4 Prime too (SE). Great car! I'd like to use a level 2 charger though to get the charge time down to 4.5 hours, and since the car only comes with a 120 volt charging cable I've been told by my electrician that I need to go out and get a 240 volt cable or charging station. But surprisingly I'm having a very hard time getting info from Toyota on what equipment can be used and which they recommend. Does anyone have any guidance on this based on 240 volt charging equipment they've used for Prius?

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The RAV4 Prime SE has a max charging power of 3.3kW (XSE with Premium Package upgrades that to 6.6kW). Since 3.3kW is fairly low, any EVSE will work. The question is whether you want to future proof your purchase of the EVSE or stick with the basic and upgrade in the future.

I'm using a ClipperCreek EVSE with 3.3kW of power (so I went with the latter option of buying basic and upgrading later). (LCS-20P I believe?). If you plan to buy an EV in the future or upgrade/add another EV, you may want to purchase a higher powered one so that it can do double duty. Note that a lower powered one can still charge your future EV but it'll just be maxed out at the 3.3kW power.

On the other end of the EVSE (the power outlet side), I would strongly recommend future-proofing that since it's expensive to get an electrician to come in and wire it up. I would install a 240V/50A if it's possible (or at least anything up there.. 30-50A).

7. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am sure others more knowledgeable than I will chime in soon. But what I know is this, "The RAV4 Prime comes with two chargers, one that plugs into a standard home outlet and one for public charging spots. The home charge will take about 12 hours to get the full range back; a 240-volt, 16-amp charge station shortens that to 4.5 hours, and a fast charger (240-volt, 32-amp) will take care of the battery in just 2.5 hours." I am not sure every trim of RAV4 Prime is equipped with the fast charger, if so you will need at least a 32 amp L2 charger to take advantage of that feature. Otherwise, any L2 charger on a market that can operate at a 240-volt, 16 amp can be used. If you have to install a new 240v outlet, then I would go for at least 32 amp L2 on a 40 amp dedicated circuit or 40 amp L2 on a 50 amp dedicated circuit to give headroom. I bought EnelX JuiceBox 40amp plug-in L2 charger for my Prius Prime, but it is a overkill for my car at this point, for it can only be charged at 16A.

#7 Salamander_King, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  8. Adriana Barsotti

Adriana Barsotti New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Great, thanks for the info! I'm fine going out and having the 240v outlet installed and buying my own charger. I'll probably have it wired for more amps so that it doesn't need to be rewired in the future. The reason I raised this question is that there there are a lot of chargers out there, and I wanted to make sure that Toyota is OK with the one that I decide to buy. Seems like it would be fine to go with Clipper Creek. I'm just a little miffed that Toyota is so reticent about providing guidance on 240v charging.

Salamander_King likes this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably because they haven’t officially endorsed any one brand or model so corporate can’t really say. The dealer on the other hand... honestly I’ll be impressed if they even know what options are available lol.

hill and Salamander_King like this.
  10. Prime_Time

Prime_Time Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
  11. DotRav4Prime

DotRav4Prime New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I just bought a 21 rav4 prime plug-in and installed a ChargePoint charger on a 60amp breaker, and discovered the 3.3kw max charging power by just plugging it in. Still glad I did the “future proof” option, but curious why Toyota would limit the amount of amperage it could receive? I assume no workaround to increase this to increase the speed of charging available on the Rav4 Prime? I mistakenly assumed it was purely dependent on the charger itself.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Assume it’s cost. That said, 6.6kW is standard in Canada. Weird.

13. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the US you have to buy the XSE Premium to get the 6.6kw charge capability.

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So slower charger to get lower MSRP in the US, or cheaper to have just one type in the smaller market of Canada.
    Let us ponder this.

Okay, that should do.

Tideland Prius, Mendel Leisk and DGH like this.