1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My new tinted taillights and emblems...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by treehggr, Aug 14, 2007.

1. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I finally received my tinted tails and installed them today along with my new badges which are just repainted stock ones. Let me know what you all think. They still shined bright during the day just as if they were stock. Next up some new wheels.

The last two pics show how much light is lost after the tinting process...pretty much none. At most 5-10%.

[attachmentid=10639]
    [attachmentid=10640]
    [attachmentid=10641]
    [attachmentid=10642]
    [attachmentid=10643]

This pic is with the headlights on and no brake lights or anything. This is also a good pic of how my license plate LED's look.

[attachmentid=10664]

And this one is with the brake lights on.

[attachmentid=10665]

Attached Files:

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, that's lovely. However, you might try to polish out that belly button... :p

3. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Aug 14 2007, 06:31 PM) [snapback]495695[/snapback]</div>

Haha..Thanks. Yeah I've gained a little chub too over the past few months..lol. I was debating photoshoping me out of the reflection. :D

4. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was bored so here you go. Free of charge. Thank god you was not naked like the one guy that posted a pot on ebay and you could see his naked body in the reflection of the pot.

Not my best work but if no one knew you was there you would think this is a perfect picture.
    [attachmentid=10645]

Attached Files:

5. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Very stealth like maybe black rims (gloss black) :)

6. prius2go

prius2go Member

where do those tinted tail lights come from?
    headlights too?

7. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Pretty good photoshop job :p

Yeah black rims are next on the list and the lights are my factory ones tinted by Jon from www.jonstintedtails.com in Staten Island.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now THAT'S a mirror finish! It could almost be a concept car! Very nicely done!

How do the taillights look? Those are fairly dim in the daytime with the stock setup.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Very nice.

I don't think that's legal in California so I'll have to pass.

I was thinking of getting the racing disc covers and having them painted black.

10. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks Tideland. I just added two pics at night with the lights on.

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    whoa, i envy the black emblems. how'd you do that? and how much did it cost?

12. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Those smoked lenses are FREAKING AWESOME! I remember when smoking tail lights was popular with Acura Legends back in the mid 90s.

I do have to ask though... A black car - in Arizona?! I have a white car in the PNW, where it's overcast 9 months of the year, so that I don't have to deal with the heat in the summer!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(treehggr @ Aug 14 2007, 06:09 PM) [snapback]495640[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, this reminds me so much of the eBay kettle.
    [attachmentid=10669]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 15 2007, 12:23 AM) [snapback]495926[/snapback]</div>
    It's not legal in most states. Since just about every state has a federal highway, they all have similar mandates.

For California:
    http://info.sen.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode...ile=24600-24616
    VEHICLE CODE
    SECTION 24600 (e):
    Taillamps shall be red in color and shall be plainly visible
    from all distances within 500 feet to the rear except that taillamps
    on vehicles manufactured after January 1, 1969, shall be plainly
    visible from all distances within 1,000 feet to the rear.

However, it's one of those bogus 'fit it' tickets that's nothing more than a cheesy tax - I'd simply pay the ticket and leave those nice lights on!

Attached Files:

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oly_57mpg @ Aug 15 2007, 12:39 AM) [snapback]495967[/snapback]</div>
    My understanding of a fix it ticket is you have to take your car somewhere to show you actually fixed whatever they had a beef with. That gets pretty expensive when you're talking about replacing the taillight covers. He used his originals so he'd have to get new ones. Even if you put the tinted ones right back on again, that's going to get to be expensive switching them out and in each time, plus paying the fine. And is this one of the fines where if they see you keep doing the same thing....they double it each time?

It looks cool but it's not worth it to me.

14. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    galaxee - The eblems cost me about 15-20 dollars and 4 days(including drying time) to complete. The process itself sucked and I will never do it again. I had to sand all the chrome off, put a few coats of primer on sanding in between coats then wet sanding them the last time before my first coat of paint. Then I put about 4 coats of paint on sanding in between coats once again then went on to about 2-4 coats of clear coat. The sanding is honestly the biggest pain in the you know what.

Godiva - I don't think it's legal anywhere. For now though I'm not too worried. They light up so bright and if I see a cop behind me during the day I'll just turn on my headlights...problem solved. Plus with the route I take to and from work I'd have to say within the last month I've only seen 4 cops maybe? Not bad.

oly_57mpg - Yeah a black car in AZ does suck but I like how black looks. And another thing, I think my chubby stomach looks a little better then the naked dude on the kettle...lol <_<

15. GT in PA

GT in PA New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    WOW!!! That is one of the most beautiful black cars I have ever seen. The emblems really set it off. Do you have any front views? What %tint do you have on your windows?

Thanks for sharing.
    Gt

16. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(treehggr @ Aug 15 2007, 09:15 AM) [snapback]496054[/snapback]</div>
    Plus, it'd be pretty easy to bend the rule and say - when the lights are activated you can see them from 1000 feet... I doubt that you'd ever have any problems. It looks so unique that hopefully the officer will admire (drool?) them as much as we do!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(treehggr @ Aug 15 2007, 09:15 AM) [snapback]496054[/snapback]</div>
    I'd hate to have a black car, it sure does look nice!
    heheh... Yes, a mostly clothed dude is certainly better than a fluffy naked one. hahaha...

17. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I thought about doing that on my black prius also. Since I already blacked out the windows I thought, why not go the rest of the way. I do like it, but not enough to do it myself. I'll just shave the emblems and keep it at that. I'm still looking at black wheels.

Oh ya, what about the 3rd brake light?

18. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OMG, that looks sweet! I've been toying with blacking out my taillights too ever since I saw a black Mercedes (can't remember now what model, it was a coupe) that had glossy black aftermarket rims, heavily tinted windows, and blacked out taillights. It looked sick! *drool* Now I know what a Prius would look like that way too. I love it.

19. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    GT in PA - Thanks!! I get some front views posted as soon as my wheels come in. I have limo tint all the way around. Have to with a black car and this heat. :)

Slair - I would have just shaved them but the 07's have 2 holes under the front and rear toyota emblem and 2 holes under both the hybrid side ones. Sucks but what are ya gonna do. I guess toyota wanted to make sure everyone kept their emblems in place. :angry:

20. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The more and more I look at that, the more I like it. Was it a vinal overlay for the tail lights? If so, where did you get it?

Thanks