1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My new tinted taillights and emblems...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by treehggr, Aug 14, 2007.

1. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ Aug 15 2007, 12:30 PM) [snapback]496323[/snapback]</div>

These are actually my stock lenses painted with transparent paint. I sent them to Jon at jonstintedtails.com in Staten Island to have them painted while I was on vacation.

2. warcat507

warcat507 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 14 2007, 11:35 PM) [snapback]495936[/snapback]</div>
    EEEEEEEWWWWWW!!!! I bet this guy won't be invited to High Tea with the Queen anytime soon! :lol:

3. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That is one, hella shiny Prius. Excellent job on the detailing.

4. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I didn't even detail it. Just washed with Meguire's (spelling?) Gold class and some Eagle One spray detailer.

Here's my attempt at removing my reflection. Been a while since I've used Photoshop.

[attachmentid=10687]

Attached Files:

5. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had to "log in" just to say...."WOW!" I swore to myself never, ever to get a black car again, because I felt that I should clean it everyday for it to look good, but...after seeing that, it is just totally beautiful! and that's an understatement. Sad to hear that its not legal, otherwise I would do it tomorrow. It's a worry already to have my windows tinted darker than the law allows. These laws, they sure ruin all the fun!

6. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks AOV. Yeah the laws are sometimes a little extreme if you ask me. Although yesterday on my way home I had a motorcycle cop behind me for about 5 mins and he did not pull me over even after seeing my limo tinted windows and new taillamps. Hopefully all of them are this kind and won't give me a hard time. :)

7. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(treehggr @ Aug 16 2007, 10:06 AM) [snapback]496839[/snapback]</div>
    Do you think he also liked what he saw? 5 minutes?...that's enough time to decide if you like something or not and if you are going to do something about it. :) Good luck!

8. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Nice job. If you don't mind my asking:

1. Is that Dark or Medium Dark?
    2. How much did it cost to do the two tails?
    3. Did you consider doing the headlights also?
    4. How long did it take to remove/replace the assemblies? Any photos of that procedure?

Thx!

9. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1. He did them Medium to Dark - In between.
    2. It cost roughly 100 dollars.
    3. I did not consider the headlights. Didn't want to push it with the law.
    4. It takes roughly 5 mins once you've done it once. You can access the bolts through the little bulb access panel behind both lights. It takes a little feeling around and a small socket but it's possible.

10. Hobbs

Hobbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(treehggr @ Aug 14 2007, 11:38 PM) [snapback]495700[/snapback]</div>
    If you do photoshop it you have to vigorously deny it and say your son took the photo!

11. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ^^ haha. Dont drag on that thread, but it is funny :p

The tail lights and head lights blacked out are not illegal where I live.

12. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hobbs @ Aug 16 2007, 08:56 AM) [snapback]496926[/snapback]</div>
    ROFLMAO!!

Seriously, dude, you did a great photoshop job... but, you had a very beautiful car to start with! :D

13. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    hahaha!!! That was pretty funny. I was lost for a bit what you were talking about but it's all coming back to me now. :) I seriously laughed out loud.

And thanks. I haven't worked with photoshop in about a year. Took me a while to remember what was what.

14. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black.

15. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(treehggr @ Aug 16 2007, 10:06 AM) [snapback]496839[/snapback]</div>
    Most laws are in place for very good reasons. Laws define acceptable behavior for the masses. You tint your windows so that I can not see through them to get a better picture of what is going on ahead of us. You tint your headlight and taillight covers to make these very important communication and visual aid devices less effective. I want to know what is going on around me so that I can react effectively to avoid conflict, your efforts at customizing your car conflict with my efforts to stay safe on the road.

16. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clearview22 @ Aug 19 2007, 07:31 AM) [snapback]498637[/snapback]</div>
    Acutally no they do not conflict with your efforts to stay safe on the road. There is no issue at all with seeing my brake lights, turn signals or driving lights. As long as you are a normal observant driver you should have absolutely no problem following behind me on the road. Plus you live in PA so I doubt you will ever be behind me...j/k about the last comment.

Also I used to live in Hickory PA in Washington County...figured I'd just say that. And Go Steelers!!!!

17. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(treehggr @ Aug 19 2007, 01:09 PM) [snapback]498679[/snapback]</div>
    Saddly you are not alone in your quest for stealth, we have many people in this area that follow the same path. You show your car in a dark garage, but what about a bright sunny day with the glare of the sun? Turnsignals and brakelights need to be seen easily from more than one angle, and in the correct color to have maximum effect during daily driving. Some auto manufacturers do a poor job of designing effective lighting and signals on their vehicles in the persuit of that cool look. We do kill around 45,000 people a year on our roads, poor communication between vehicles plays a major role in the mass killing. Police have other things to do I guess than pull people over for tinting violations. We have a lights on laws for construction zones and anytime your wipers are on, but very poor enforcement leads to poor compliance. I turn my headlights on everytime I drive to save lives, where do you stand?

18. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So far since the taillight tinting I have had a total of 4 cops drive behind me during the day. If they didn't have a problem following behind me no one else should. My lights are still visible during the bright days here in az. As soon as I get around to it I will take some pictures to show that. I can tell you right now that me turning on my headlights when I drive will do absolutely nothing here to save lives. I do my part by keeping myself alive by avoiding the freeway and traveling at a safe speed between 35-45 mph on side streets instead of trying to keep up driving at speeds between 75 and 90 mph at all times of the day on the freeways here. People laugh at me because I drive like an old lady, not my age (I'm 25 btw). I worry about keeping myself and my passengers safe not the idiots that insist on driving a minimum of 20 mph over the posted limit. All I am saying is that my lights are not an issue. My thread is in place to show my lights to anyone interested. I know that every thread always has a few dramatic posts like yours but I have to say it gets old after a while.

19. prius2go

prius2go Member

can you drive at 90mph on the freeway over there?
    :blink:

Meanwhile
    Ive found a can of tailight smoke spray on ebay - cant be too difficult to get it even :rolleyes:
    and those black toyota badges

20. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have had plenty of people fly past when traveling at 80 mph with others on the freeway. So not legally but people do all the time. As I said before, Arizona has some of the most horrible dirvers I have ever seen. Almost as bad as California. lol no offense to Ca drivers.