1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My new to me 2012 Prius Plug In

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by BobMc989, Oct 30, 2015.

1. BobMc989

BobMc989 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi guys , the car I had transferred came in and I have been checking it out the past few days.
    I don't think whoever had it ever charged it with the cord,I am enclosing pics of the energy trip meter.
    It seems to charging ok and working fine though,I did take it to Toyota this morning so they could do a 100
    point inspection and check the computers on it,all checked good.
    I still have until Monday to decide on keeping it, I don't think it hurt the battery not being charged,it starts out
    at 12.6 miles the last two times that I charged it.
    It has 29500 on it my biggest concern is that the traction battery hasn't gone through many cycles in the last 3 years , however that could be plus in one way, I guess.
    Let me know what you think , here's a pic of the trip meter and the car.
    Take care Bob

Attached Files:

Burna J likes this.
  2. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Is that a light yellow color? That would be my favorite color and it even looks good on your car.

I would think that minimal charging cycles would be a plus for longevity. The traction battery still got charged and drawn upon during HV use like a standard Prius. That battery usage was just in a lower State of Charge (SOC) range (compared to standard Prius) which is the best for longevity.

Overall mileage of 46.47 MPG indicates that it probably was driven a little aggressively to get below EPA estimates. As long as everything checks out I would not worry about the vehicle.

BobMc989 likes this.
  3. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What a waste of a good PHEV. Looks like it was plugged in maybe 6-7 times only.

You're probably okay on the battery if the car was constantly driven. We think for battery longevity, keeping SoC between 20% - 80% is ideal. We know the PiP has a 4.4 kWh battery and a roughly 3.2 kWh to charge full meaning the car was roughly at 27% SoC throughout its life.

And next time? Smile when you purchase a new car. You looked like "Eh, I bought a car. So what?"

BobMc989 likes this.
  4. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The battery should be fine, it was being exercised in (about) the 20-25% range every time it was driven.
    It was probably only charged once on delivery (and then the counter reset)...you can get 67 miles just via normal driving. A small amount of downhill driving/braking will charge the battery to something like 0.5 to 1 mile. Then the next time you start the car it will be in EV mode, you use up that mile then switch to HV all automatically.

Notice that the kwh is zero. EV miles will accumulate like I said above, but the kwh counter requires charging input before you can see the result in kwh used.

Mike

BobMc989 likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gorgeous, congrats! is that pearl or blizzard? something is making it look yellow.

BobMc989 likes this.
  6. BobMc989

BobMc989 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Everyone
    The color is blizzard pearl a combination of the lights and the bow made it appear to be yellow. the car drives pretty quiet and so far I am getting terrific mileage ,and hey I was smiling :) you should see me when I frown:mad: , I'm not really a photogenic guy I guess.
    I've been looking at Prius's for a long time and I'm proud to have one now. I am averaging 63mpg or so after 250 miles of going to work and back this week, some mornings I show 73 and 76 mpg for my 30 mile trip to work:).
    Take Care Bob

mmmodem likes this.
  7. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have a 2012 PIP. When I got my BMW i3 BEV thirteen months ago, I used my Prius sparingly, and got away from charging it. My i3 is still my daily driver, but I also use my Prius and got back to charging it every time I drive it. Charging is almost effortless.

BobMc989 likes this.
  8. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

May I ask from where and to where did you have Carmax transfer the vehicle and how long did it take?

I am asking because I am doing the same thing, from North Carolina to california.

For me, it took 1 day to reserve it, and conformation came the following day, so I guess it is considered 2 days to officially reserve.

1 day to prep it for pickup/dispatch.

4 days later, the car is finally picked up TODAY.

Now, it is in transit from North Carolina to california. I am trying to see how long it is going to take based on your experience (I am sure the driver/shipper will make stops along the way to pick up more cars). At least with your experience, I will some sort of rough idea. I didn't realize it was such a sloooowww process.

I inquired with Carmax, but they said it normally takes 28 days from east coast to west coast, but may only take 2 weeks, which sounds like too much of a generic answer.

I hope you are enjoying your new car. I bought they exact same car model, exact same year, exact same color (Blizzard White) with similar mileage. They are practically twins! Haha

Thx

iPhone ?

BobMc989 likes this.
  9. BobMc989

BobMc989 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two

#9 BobMc989, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  10. BobMc989

BobMc989 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi
    My car took 9 days from start to finish to get to the dealer and it was in Atlanta 5 hours from me. I hope you like your car as much as I enjoy mine .Car max told me there is no way to check on it once it ships and the driver may to pick up other cars as well along the way. I know the trip from the east to west coast can be done in 2-3 days in a semi, I would figure a week or so earlier than their promise, as they seem to over estimate the time a bit.
    When I bought mine I did it rather quickly as I was excited to get it, since I bought it ,I got Carmax to install new Bridgestone Ecopias on it as I had a cross country trip coming up ,I'm in Raligh NC now.
    They worked with me some on the tires and sold them to me at their cost and installed them for free.
    I also had to go to the Toyota dealer here and purchase the factory wiper blades for it which ran me about 90 dollars, but I think they are worth it,someone had put Bosch blades on it and they didn't work well for me.
    I also ordered the right floor mats for it ,so I will have a little extra invested before I'm done, I'm still satisfied with the car as I got a good price on it and a good finance rate .
    What I'm getting at is Carmax won't barter with you on price, but you might be able to get them to put tires or the right wipers etc on it if they think it will keep you from buying the car.
    Good luck with yours and let me know how it works out
    Take care Bob

sillylilwabbit likes this.