1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My new v

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by jhinsc, Apr 28, 2013.

1. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am a new owner of a 2013 v 5. I traded my Barcellona Red 2010 Prius IV that I was just as fascinated by as I was when I first leased it. I loved that I could pretty much drive like I normally do and still get 51 - 54 mpg. What color is my new v? Barcellona Red of course! The only option was floor mats. It drives like a dream, feeling much more solid and well put together, and feels much heavier than the 232 lbs more than it is over the liftback. I also love that it has a lot more soft touch surfaces rather than hard plastic. I've had it for 5 days now and just topped off the tank from the dealer fill-up, experimenting how to maximize my MPG's. You can see my first tank mileage in my signature - not bad for first tank, especially since I don't know how well it was topped off by the dealer. I'm slowly working my way through the Entune system trying to figure it out. I have an appointment this week to add pinstripes and have the dealer change some settings like the annoying reverse beep.

Since the v was introduced by Toyota, I was wanting one, but my journey to ownership was methodical and thoughtful. I test drove the CMax, Jetta Hybrid and TDI, and the Passat TDI. The CMax was disappointing in mpg's and interior space as it was barely larger than my Prius IV, but excelled in it's quiet and solid ride. I likely would have felt differently about it if I could get within 2-3 mpgs of EPA, but to be almost 10 mpg down from it was a turnoff. The Jetta Hybrid was an interesting drive and loved the way it rode and handled, but I couldn't get past the small trunk and the transition between battery and ICE not as smooth as the Prius. The turbo might have something to do with it. The Jetta/Passat TDI's were great and if I were to choose one, it would have been the Passat due to it's roomy interior. But in the end, I wanted and bought the Prius v. I got off the lease bandwagon and bought it because I drive 20k+ mile per year and I didn't want to get 2-3 years down the road fretting about excess mileage charges and searching for another vehicle when I'm perfectly happy with the one I got. I considered purchasing my Prius IV from Toyota, but the v is a better fit for my lifestyle and work.

2. Guill

Guill Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Congratulations on your new v! I'm sure you'll be happy with your decision to stick with a Prius.

jhinsc likes this.
  3. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! I'm putting RainX on all the windows and headlights today as we're in for some rain. We had a bit of rain a couple days ago and noticed the water wasn't beading up and had to use the wipers all the time. Compared to the lifetback, the v seems huge, inside and out!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! you sound very excited, nothing like a new set of wheels. all the best!(y)

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Congrats on the new v as well! Just as an FYI coming from a 2010 where models were roman numerals and uppercase, the Prius v is a lowercase v.

jhinsc likes this.
  6. labell

labell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Still loving mine too--for many of the same reasons you cite. Congrats on the purchase!

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I've had my "v" for over a your, now.

I'm glad that I made the choice.

8. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Today I had a gold pinstripe put on each side, just like I had on my '10 Prius IV, and had some setting changed: reverse beep turned off; seat belt beep turned off; and changed setting so when I press "auto", the a/c doesn't come on automatically. Now I'm looking at tint for the windows. Stopped on way home for a quote and I got a range of $165 to $365, depending on "quality" of the tint used, with 3M tint was on high end. I felt like I was being sold on spending more rather than just explaining the differences between the three choices so I can make a decision.

9. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My 2012 "v" came already titled by Southeast Toyota. It had carpets and a bunch of "port" add ons.

I got them all for free with negotiations with the dealer.

I recommend the mudguards, if you have not already got them. I also got the Weathertech floor mats and the PriusChat Shop "shark fin" antenna.

10. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was thinking about the Weathertechs, but the mudguards would affect the aerodynamics so I won't add them on. I got it right off the truck so there were no dealer adds, just the mats added at port. I may just get clear mats to put on top for now. I think the back end is lacking something, maybe a bit of chrome trim at the bottom of hatch? It just looks a bit plain. Also maybe some trim at the bottom of the doors, similar to the liftback trim available, but I haven't found it available for the v yet.

11. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2 week update: Just filled up today, my first full tank since purchase. I got 45.7mpg, went 495.1 miles and put in 10.844 gallons. I didn't get the beep for low fuel until it got down 15 miles to empty. I was going for 500+ miles, but my travels today didn't make it possible and I have a busy day tomorrow and wanted to avoid distractions.

Other observations; I'm amazed at how well it drives! The ride is smoother and quiet. The seating position is higher making it easier to see traffic ahead. Power is very similar to my previous 2010 Prius IV, although it seems easier to keep it in EV mode. It was easier to modulate the throttle and glide with the 2010 Prius, where the Prius v throttle seems sensitive. I just came home from Costco and could fit everything in the back without resorting to using the back seat too. I'm looking forward to improving my mileage as it continues to break-in.

PLSPUSH likes this.
  12. 2013-Prius v

2013-Prius v 2013 Prius v 5

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Congrat's

iPhone ?

13. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another update at 1215 miles. Filled up today and achieved 45.8 mpg, computer said 47.4. Went 485.7 miles on 10.601 gallons. Low fuel light didn't come on until 11 mile to empty. I've noticed the fuel gauge on the v is not as linear as it was on my 2010 Prius IV. I will go 300 miles on 1/2 tank and then less than 200 miles before it drops to empty. I am amazed at the mileage the v is capable of! I averaged 4% higher than EPA in my Prius IV but I'm averaging over 9% higher than EPA in my v! I hope I don't develop a lead foot and ruin my progress.

I haven't done any mods yet, except I ordered lower door trim and hope it comes in from the store in Japan. I need to buy a pet barrier as the one I currently have won't work - I jerry rigged it for the Prius IV but it won't work in the v. I did wax my red beauty a couple days ago. Still investigating window tint and I'll want to get this done soon before the summer heat is upon us!

14. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1695 miles now, and didn't do so well this tank. 43.9 mpg, 470 miles and 10.702 gallons. It's been very warm and I used a/c fulltime this tank. Combined with heavier traffic and more stop/go my mileage takes a hit. I am seriously looking into window tinting to help cut down heavy a/c use.

15. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At just over 11,000 miles now, my mileage is averaging between 45 and 47 mpg calculated. As you can see from my fuelly signature my overall is creeping up. I want to get it over 44 mpg! I have a trip to NY coming up for Thanksgiving and expect my average will be only 40 mpg or so since I'll likely try to keep speeds at 65-75 mph on I-95. I'm still amazed at how great the v is - lots of space and great mpg's at the same time! Hope the cooler temps won't hurt my average. Just ordered new barriers to keep the dog in back. I'll update on how well it works - or not when they come in.

Chazz8 likes this.