1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My New Window Tint Job

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by PriusBoom, Mar 11, 2012.

1. PriusBoom

PriusBoom Guest

2 people like this.
  2. ockevin

ockevin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Looks real good.....do you live in Buena Park...it looks like the community with the lake in it...

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nice. What brand tint?

4. surfdog5

surfdog5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tint looks great, but you paid about $80 more than you should of.

I got a tint guy who has now done four cars for me, each one better than the next. He provides a lifetime warranty (in writing). He'll even take the tint off for free if you get a fix it ticket for tinting the front windows.

Anyway, he charged me 120 to do my wife's 2012 Prius v and 120 to my 2012 Prius II.

5. Jwb2781

Jwb2781 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I like the body kit....has your car been lowered?...if so how much?

6. Scott1258

Scott1258 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey surfdog,

Would you post up name and number for your tint guy - I'm looking for one. Or you can pm me. thanks!

1 person likes this.
  7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At $120 for 9 windows they are using cheap tint and either making no profit and/or doing a shitty job. lol

It should take at least a couple of hours to do a complete and most shops charge $80+ per hour. You do the math. :)

I'd love to inspect these cheap jobs up close and point out all of the lint bubbles.

1 person likes this.
  8. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think I feel jipped for the $500 I paid. ;)

Glad you found someone who can tint well enough for a price that you are willing to pay.

What brand/model film did they use?

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mike, you're a perfectionist. :p

I would expect to pay between $250-$350 for a 9 window job using quality tint or more for the pricey ceramics and other high tech tint materials and a lint-free job. Sometimes dealers charge less on brand new cars because they are often clean and the prep work is easier/faster.

10. PriusBoom

PriusBoom Guest

1 person likes this.
  11. run for cover

run for cover New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    PriusBoom what tint percentage did you go with? 30%?

$200 is cheap for a prius. In northern virginia expect to pay $250-600 depending on reg to ceramic window film.

Tint job and the car looks great.

12. TruSound

TruSound Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you live in Los Angeles I can recommend an excellent tint master as well, Beverly Hills Mercedes uses him for all their vehicles...and he makes house calls.

He did my 2012 v wagon perfectly...all 9 windows and zero blemishes...185 bucks.

13. surfdog5

surfdog5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II

No problem, I'll PM you his info. Your in luck, He's in H.B.!

14. surfdog5

surfdog5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry dude, I'm not saying you didn't get a good quality tint job, I'm just saying you paid too much IMO. The guy I use provides a life time warranty. Any bubbles, peeling or fading and bring it back no questions asked. Of course in the years I have used him, I have never had to bring a car back. How will my car look in 10 Years? My last car that he did, was a 2005 model, that I traded in for my current car and the tint looked as good as it did the day I had it originally done over 7 years ago.

PriusCamper and johnsonvision like this.
  15. surfdog5

surfdog5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
  16. PriusBoom

PriusBoom Guest

1 person likes this.
  17. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice wheels !!!!

REV

18. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree with what REV said about those wheels!

I paid $200 for the tint on my Prius. Local guy, he and his wife run the business. SolarGuard tint (I think), with lifetime warranty. He did great work, and I'm a bit of a perfectionist on things. He also tinted some of the windows in my house for me also. He blended the small window on the hatch to almost identically match the darkness of the top hatch glass. He's done work for 2 or 3 other people that I've referrred to him as well.

19. surfdog5

surfdog5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your right, I also don't want to get in a "pissing" contest and that wasn't my intention. I apologize, if it came off that way, It can be difficult to be nuanced on a MB.

The point I was making (and this is my last word on the subject) is that good quality tint jobs can be found at different prices and while your tint does look great and I don't want to in anyway disparage the job that your guy did, a buyer always needs to beware of both quality and price. Yes, you get what you pay for in most instances. Chances are, you will get a high quality tint at the higher prices, but don't allow a lower priced tint quote to scare you away without doing the research that is needed to make an informed choice. I've had sh!tty cheap tint jobs and I've had sh!tty expensive tint jobs. Hopefully, we all learn from our mistakes.

When I first heard of the prices my guy was charging, I was a skeptic. After reading the reviews, researching the materials he uses and talking to the owner and taking in the factors that would enable a person to offer a high quality service/ materials, while maintaining a lower price into consideration, I.E., he is a one man operation with extremely low overhead, works in a small shop in a low rent area of OC, I went with him.

Your right, we are all "Prius-Bros" and my comments were with that in mind, I didn't mean to disparage you or the the person who did your tint job.

While I don't want to publicly advertise the services of the guy who did my tint, I am happy to give someone a private referral, because I believe in the work he does and think it would be beneficial to impart that info to my fellow Prius Bros. And if I get any consistent feedback from anybody who feels that they were ripped off or got shoddy work done, I will be just as quick to warn people not to use that particular tint service.

1 person likes this.