1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My newly bought Prius 2008

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PriusFanSinceBeginning, Mar 22, 2016.

1. PriusFanSinceBeginning

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi

I bought my 1st car yesterday and it was Prius 2008 :) . I have got around 93000 miles on it. Everything looks fine but I have few questions:
    1. I got two car keys but the one of them doesn't work, I think issue is with its battery, How can I open that key and see what's wrong?
    2. Is there any major servicing needed for my car as it has crossed 90k miles mark? My dealer and mechanic told me that being hybrid + toyota, the car will run 200k very easily without any issues but I want to assure myself that it is true.
    3. When I switch off the car, engine makes a humming sound for around 5-6 seconds and then stops. Is it the motor sound and is it normal?

Thanks

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. There's a cover on the back of the fob that slides off. You can get videos on youtube on change prius fob battery.
    2. The major services for the prius comes at around 120k. At 100k miles, you would want to change the coolants (engine and inverter)
    3. the humming sound is normal, it's the electronic braking system.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome to PriusChat! i hope you enjoy your Prius as much as I have mine.

seems like you need a jeweler's screwdriver and a CR2032 battery.

Here is the 2008 maintenance manual http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-08Prius/pdf/Prius08SMG.pdf
    90,000 miles is at page 19 of the PDF, page 17 of the manual.

The only additional maintenance I would add is replacing the ATF WS every 90,000 miles

Gen 2 has a 'thermos' of coolant it tries to keep warm for easier startup. you may be hearing it pump water into the thermos.