1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My OBDII Bluetooth Device (PanLong) + Torque Pro App = ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by iskoos, Oct 19, 2019.

1. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In a few words, my main question is the below:

Is this combination really known to throw "Traction-ABS-Brake" lights on the dash?

If you want to read more about it, then here goes...

Yesterday while driving I had these lights popped up on the dash. The exact below combination:

The traction indication at the upper left corner and ABS + (!) at the bottom right.

All of them were "Yellow". None was blinking and there was no beep or buzzing sound. It has been 2 years (about 20k miles) since I purchased my 2010 Prius III and this is the first warning light I see on the dash. She is at 160k miles. I cannot complain much.

The only thing I felt was the brake pedal felt a bit (Not by much) harder. I drove for a few miles and while waiting at the stop light, I turned the car off then back on. The lights cleared. They all came back about 5 minutes later. I made a stop for lunch and then drove back to work. On my way back to work (about 3-4 miles), warning lights didn't come on.

I had the PanLong device connected to OBDII port while driving all day with Torque Pro app running. I was monitoring the HV battery block voltages. I tried to check the trouble codes thru the app. There was no DTC.

On my way back home (about 20-mile drive) and PanLong + Torque still connected and running, the warning lights didn't come on.

At home, I checked forums and I read the BT OBDII devices might cause this. I was a little sad because I have been enjoying this little device and the torque pro app very much.

I will drive for a few days without connecting the OBDII device and see if I will have a code.

Checking 12volt battery also recommended but mine is fairly new. Replaced in 2018. I am also familiar that it could be the ABD module, wheel speed sensor(s) or many other things. I am just hoping for the best scenario (not sure which is the best scenario:))

2. RightOnTime

RightOnTime Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    While the car is in ready mode, are you hearing the abs pump / booster energizing every 2 minutes or so?

iPhone ?

3. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the reply. No, I never have that issue. The pump comes on when I open the driver's door for about 5-6 seconds and during some part of driving stages (When the ICE is off) as usual.

RightOnTime likes this.
  4. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Regarding OBDII devices, I had my scanguage plugged in (as usual) and the abs warning came on. The brake travel changed (less resistance initially) and it looked like regenerative braking wasn't working. I then noticed that my scanguage wasn't on. I pushed the connector more firmly into the OBDII port and the gauge came on and the brakes returned to normal (including the warning light going off).

So, apparently, the scanguage connector being loosely plugged in caused some kind of glitch. No problem since then. Maybe your device was loose?

5. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't think it was loose. I used it during the day and when it happened, I think it was also connected. It is really sad if the BT interface is the intermittent cause of this issue. I had been using it for almost a month with no issue and loving it. Now this issue came up and it will make me not use it.
    I drove the car again today (with the device disconnected) no warning lights. And I used another OBDII scanner today to get any code that is stored. No codes in the memory.