1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My official Prius mods thread.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by DocVijay, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ^^^
    Check This thread for my TRD install. Basically, I refuse to go back to stock ever again. :)

2. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

The TRD kit is going to be installed tomorrow by my Toyota Dealer. Tonight I will take all the measurements to establish a baseline. Pics too.

:D

3. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey Doc.. gotta harass you with another question. :) Did you have to fully remove the bolts to put the brace on? I also notice that the bolts are holding the control arm. Should I have to worry about any difficulty in tightening the bolt back up in having to line up the arm? I had the car up on stands today to take a look and I just wanted to ensure a problem-free install before I start loosening anything.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Jan 27 2006, 11:02 PM) [snapback]199204[/snapback]</div>

1 person likes this.
  4. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Jun 22 2006, 09:06 PM) [snapback]275635[/snapback]</div>

Presto,
    You need only to loosen the bolt just enough to slip the bar into place, don't remove it. Once you get one side secure, expand the bar and slip it under the other bolt. Once both ends of the bar are under the bolts tighten the bolts a bit but, not all the way. Then, using the adjustment nut on the lower brace, give the brace some tension. Don't use too much force or you might toe out your front wheels and get some bad wear on your tires or even worse, the car might even pull to one side while you drive. Once adjustment is done, use the lock nuts to lock the adjustment into place. Now you can tighten the bolts to the lower control arms, lower the vehicle and test drive.

Hope this helps.

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SaeGai06 @ Jun 23 2006, 01:43 AM) [snapback]275678[/snapback]</div>
    What he said... :p

6. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks, gentlemen... i will try it out tonight :)

7. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Because of forces beyond my control (children in particular) I was unable to get any measurements or pictures of a before. I have lots of pictures of it anyway, and I can just reference these and take a similar picture from a similar spot. Actual numbers will not be here. But a thoroughly subjective AND objective SOTP meter analysis will be coming. Seeing as I actually need to drive my car anyway, this is for certain. Stay tuned.

8. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well, here are some initial pics I took last night in the garage. I've only driven about 22 miles since installation, and part of that was with a load of groceries, so spirited driving was not possible. But I did get a good bit of driving in. So far I'm VERY impressed.

Comfort:
    So far I haven't felt any degredation of the ride. I'd go so far as to say it has actually IMPROVED the level of comfort. Expansion joints don't travel through the car, but are now just a dull thud that you hear. Small bumps are now absorbed exclusively by the suspension rather than the car as a whole. At speed the car is still smooth as butter, but seems to glide over imperfections better. It used to wiggle as you went over some rough pavement, but now the car stays firm and hte suspension does the work. WOnderful.

Handling:
    Handling is way up. Combined with the 17" wheels/tires and the braces, the TRD kit has transformed the car. Body lean is greatly reduced (and now I know how lacking the seats are in lateral support!). The car feels much more planted and stable. No wiggles and shakes at higher speeds.

Pretty much what Presto said. I will never go back to stock.

Pictures:
    1. Front setup. You can see the tire to fender distnace is reduced. THe white spring peeking out from above.

2. Rear setup. Once again decreased fender tire spacing. WHite spring visible through the wheel!

3. Rear Closeup. Coolness! :D

9. dpower

dpower Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Jun 24 2006, 09:05 AM) [snapback]276288[/snapback]</div>
    How much did the dealer charge you for the install and how long did it take? My kit came in on Thursday and I'd like to get it installed soon. The dealer is over a 100 mile round trip so Id like to wait for it to be done, rather than making the drive twice.

For the lower suspension brace do you think it could be installed with out jacking the car up? I was able to install the BT brace by snaking an arm under the car and it went in very nicely.

I’m curious if the full rear body brace is needed with the TRD kit, BT brace, shock tower, lower brace installed.
    With all the firming up that gives how much more can you feel unless you are racing?

I have been pleased so far with the incremental improvments that each piece has added, I driving 150+ miles a day commuting to and from my new job. I did notice that my mileage is down a little but its because the car feels so stable that I’m driving a faster than before :D

My impressions so far, the BT brace got rid of that funny little wiggle in the rear you feel (in your rear) when driving over rough or grooved pavement.
    The upper brace is most noticeable when making fast lane changes at freeway speed. When I make the change and stop I no longer have to do a reverse correction turn to get it to center in the lane. The body stays level and just glides into position, very noticeable on grooved pavement or rounding a semi and being buffeted around.
    I'm hoping the TRD upgrade will provide stability on the extremely twisty old bumpy roads the I have to deal with on my commute. They don't call the highway the Devils Backbone for nothing.

Any noticeable improvement in a panic breaking condition with the TRD? I have to deal with deer wandering about every evening and noticed that the prius is a bit hard to control when I have to slam the binders on.
    It would be worth every penny to avoid a slide into bambi’s relative or a tree/ditch.

David

10. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ^^^
    You'll need to jack up the car to get the lower brace installed just because of the clearance you'll need to turn the bolts on the control arm. Decent clearance makes getting the brace into position easier. It took me about an hour to install last night from jacking up the car to putting away the jack.

11. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dpower @ Jun 24 2006, 11:43 AM) [snapback]276320[/snapback]</div>
    OK, I'll try and answer allthe questions.

Dealer charged $650 for the install. Not usre how long. Dropped it off at 9:00 am and picked it up at 6:30 pm. I know it was ready by 5:00 pm, that's all. Service guy did say it was an all day job. Not difficult, just tedious. Could have had it done cheaper elsewhere, but felt more comfortable with Toyota doing the work, plus they'll cover problems.

Yes, you need to jack up the car for the lower brace. It's not too tough of an install once you get it jacked up.

Is teh rear suspension brace necessary. Well, was any of this necessary? My answer is yes, but then I'm a certified, grade-A, car nut. The purpose of all the braces is to stiffen the car's chassis and let the suspension do the work. All these will help the superlative TRD kit do its job even better.

Yes, I also drive at least 120 miles a day. I do find myself driving much faster than before. But hey, I'm still getting over 40 mpg, AND I'm enjoying the drive. I could certainly drive much slower and get back over 50 mpg, but then the drive would be torture. Might as well trade a few mpg for my happiness.

I think the TRD kit will do wonders for the situation you described. Mine felt much more stable and planted over rough back roads. I "accidentally" found myself doing 77 on a rough two lane country road rated at 45 mph... Oops. The TRD was that stable. I think you'll like it. Also, the 1" drop may not seem like much, but for a car that makes a big difference.

I have not tested the brakes after the TRD other than normal stopping.

12. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Great! You guys have me almost convinced that this is probably the single best handling upgrade for the Prius, bar none, but then followed by the front lower suspension brace, and so on...

13. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jun 25 2006, 05:42 AM) [snapback]276410[/snapback]</div>
    So far this is the single most expensive mod I've done (at $1500 including installation), but it was well worth it.

The car just feels so much better now. It should have come like this from the factory.

The only down side... It's pretty low now. Parking curbs are now a valid hazzard. After installing, you must take great care not to hit the front on anything. Also, if you have a steep driveway, you may scrape the front when coming or going. If not, then it's all good. My driveway is gradual, and I've already been very careful about parking, so I'm used to it.

Next step... lightweight wheels and tires!

:D :D :D :D :D

14. dpower

dpower Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Jun 25 2006, 08:16 AM) [snapback]276433[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Ill plan on having the wife pick me up and leave it for a couple of days. I need to get the 30k maintenance done and that’s a 4 hour job in itself they told me. I'll wait until I have had the TRD kit installed for a couple of weeks before installing the rear brace so I can get used to the new equipment. It will probably take that long to get it ordered and delivered.

I havent found any wheels that I'm happy with yet and still have a good 15k left on the goodyears. Looks like a good start for the new year.

DAvid

15. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Jun 25 2006, 06:16 AM) [snapback]276433[/snapback]</div>
    I don't personally mind because I rather fix the problem than peck at it. :)

Didn't Presto say because of the upgraded stiffness, there's less worry about it bouncing and hitting a speed bump, or scraping in a dip, albeit it is lower so more likely to hit something?

Now for lightweight wheels, I did some research last night and found this site: http://www.wheelweights.net/ It's a well-updated database that sorts by technology, company, size, or weight.

For 15x6.5, I've narrowed it down to:
    Volk CE28N forged 8.1lbs
    Desmond Rega Master EVO forged 8.6lbs
    Monster Sport Type-R forged 8.6lbs
    Racing Hart CP-035R forged 8.6lbs
    Spoon Sports SW388 forged 8.6lbs
    SSR Type-C forged 8.6lbs
    Volk TE37 8.8lbs
    Modex Ks-Ce 9.2lbs
    Starform Real Racing R2 forged 9.7lbs
    Racing Firrenze RF-Pro forged 9.8lbs
    BBS RG-F forged 9.9lbs
    BRIG Magline 5 forged 9.9lbs
    Stark MS 10.1lbs

For 16x7:
    Racing Hart CP-035R forged 10.8lbs
    Mugen MF10 forged 11.0lbs
    SSR Type-C forged 11.0lbs
    Buddy Club P1 Racing QF forged 11.1lbs
    Volk TE37 forged 11.2lbs
    RAC Monolites RS110 forged 11.3lbs
    SSR Type-R forged 11.5lbs
    5Zigen Beckets FN-01R forged 11.7lbs
    Desmond Rega Master Evo forged 11.9lbs
    Spoon Sports forged 11.9lbs
    Volk CE28N forged 11.9lbs
    Mugen MF8 forged 12.0lbs

There are more available for those sizes, but I just picked to top lightweight few. Haven't verified if most are the right offset, or bolt pattern.

I have narrowed it down to SSR Type-C (Competition) wheels which are really light (8.6lbs or 11.5lbs, no 17x7s), and come at $300+ per from Tirerack. They must be good. :)

Note, it's really difficult to just select and price a wheel direct through Tirerack. You have to fake a car to get it to show you some sizes and deeper information. :p

16. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jun 25 2006, 08:47 PM) [snapback]276691[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, that may be the case with the stiffer suspension. I haven't driven over any speed bumps yet, so I can't say. I imagine if you ust take it slow it won't be an issue. I'm not worried.

I too used wheelweights.com as a reference, but hey don't always list all the sizes, and I've found a few mistakes. But is is a good source nonetheless.

If you look at the first post on this thread, you'll see that I also hace the SSR's as a possibility. They are over $100 cheaper per wheel than the Buddy Club, and actually weigh a bit less. I'm going for the 17" wheel, though. BY keeping a 15" or a 16" wheel, you can go much lower than the stock wheels in overall weight. I'm just trying to match it or a little under.

Yes, Tire Rack can be quite a pain when it comes to researching wheels. Their tire section is awesome, and you can get all the details for any tire. But when it comes to wheels, they make it difficult. I also had to use a different car to do my research. Luckily my brother has a Subaru Impreza, and I found they have the same bolt pattern, so I can just use that.

17. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The TRD was installed in about 2 hours at a 3rd party performance shop for $150 CAD. I was a bit leary at getting it done at a 3rd party, but between $760CAD and $150CAD it wasn't hard to decide :). Ask around and see if you can get a good shop recommended. Not sure why Toyota wants so much for an install since it doesn't take long and it's only labor they should be charging for. Even at $100/hr... i don't think they would take 7 hours to install something mundane as shocks and springs

18. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Jun 26 2006, 12:22 PM) [snapback]276942[/snapback]</div>
    Probably mundane for a performance shop, but probably specially rare at dealerships.

19. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

So the wheels are on the way. I did a bunch of searching, and I got a set that wasn't even on my radar. They are a full pound heavier than what I planned on getting, but the price couldn't be beat. Using Google and wheelweights.net I did more searching, and found that the Centerline RPM wheels are quite light. SO I happaned to go the site to see, and I found that they are overstocked on 17" rims, and got a set at $159 each with no shipping! That price can't be beat! They normally run over $300 each.

Centerline RPM Forged
    17x7", 5x100 bolt pattern, 42mm offset, 13.5 pounds

Here is a picture:

[​IMG]

20. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

They sure are sexy. Do you think you will be able to fit the trim rings on thoses?