1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My official Prius mods thread.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by DocVijay, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 9 2006, 10:40 PM) [snapback]330397[/snapback]</div>
    4:30am is getting closer and closer. Subscribing to your thread.

2. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

OK, here it is. Don't ask why the address is what it is. Just was assigned by Verizon. Anyhow, here are the pictures. Enjoy.

http://mysite.verizon.net/ressmxii/

Just click on "Mirrors" in the menu.

3. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    DoC! You're AWESOME! Kool! I'll add your webbie to the priusmods wiki that i have. :) Tooo Kool!

What was the total cost? You mention that we should get someone to install it for us if we don't have the know how. What you suggest? Circuit City again?

4. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    DocVijay-
    That is just way to cool; I can;t wait to get mine and install them. Your write up and pictures will make it much easier I am sure. The only hitch in my install is I will have to paint the mirrors first since they no longer off Tideland Pearl. Then of course I will have to have the 3M clear bra guy install the clea bra on them to protect them from rock chips. Thanks, Cairo94507

5. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cairo, please let me know how the mirrors look when you get them, as i do not want to spend $400 on these mirrors. So if i can get them on ebay I will do that. Though I will have black and I do not know the quality of the paint, since you will not have yours painted either.

Great pics Doc, I am SOOO jealous

On a side note, Doc, I kept clicking last night so much that i went to bed, woke up at 3am when gf got home, and checked the page out, but too tired to comment, sorry :)

But i do understand about the timing issue, at least you were able to do it all in one night anyways. Is there a prius club in tampa?

6. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(massimo @ Oct 10 2006, 10:06 AM) [snapback]330555[/snapback]</div>
    As far as I know there is no Prius club here. There are a couple of people that are in this area. We should probably meet out somewhere for dinner or something. We can just pick a restaurant or something and just let everyine know when and where.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Speed @ Oct 10 2006, 03:35 AM) [snapback]330513[/snapback]</div>
    The total cost was the $400 for the mirror housings, $60 for the new mirror, and now I'll have to go buy a motor assembly as well. Don't know how much that is.

As far as who to go to, I would guess any body shop/repair place could do it. If uou have a couple of hours, you should be able to do it. It's tough, but no too tough.

7. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

Great howto Doc!!! Very much appreciated!

I think the toughest part for me would be pulling the door panel! I know how to pull the dash apart (Factory Interactive DVD is the BOMB!). Does anyone have a howto on the door panels?

8. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Inthewind @ Oct 10 2006, 11:57 AM) [snapback]330621[/snapback]</div>

Once you figure it out, it's really quite easy. I can pull apart the door in about 2 minutes now.

9. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 10 2006, 12:59 PM) [snapback]330666[/snapback]</div>
    Is this another tease?? Comon' Doc, share...
    I'm hesitant about yanking my 07 apart without at least a small amount of know how (Or at least a picture or two to look at) B)

10. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Inthewind @ Oct 10 2006, 01:08 PM) [snapback]330676[/snapback]</div>
    OK. Here is a quick and dirty door disassembly.

1) Pull off the tweeter pod. Just grab and pull perpendicular from the door. Unhook tweeter.

2) Pull door handle out and pry off plastic cover under it with a flat screwdriver.

3) Remove screws; first is under panel you just removed, second is insude handle on armrest.

4) Pry up the plstic panel with the switches on it. Just grab and pull straight up. It pops off. Unhook two plugs.

5) Use panel puller tool (you did get one, right?) to pop out the white plastic pegs from the door.

6) Tilt panel out a bit and pull up to unhook from top of door.

Done.

Like I said, invest s few bucks in Toyota TechInfo and print out the pdf's. Or invest hundreds in the actual shop manual. Either way it's worth it if you work on your car a lot.

11. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 10 2006, 03:13 PM) [snapback]330777[/snapback]</div>
    Aha! I knew there was going to be a catch somewhere!! Panel puller tool huh...

I was planning on the ToyotaTechInfo. Thanks for the help and time...much appreciation.

12. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have had a 93 probe and a 00 tiburon in my past, and pulling the panels was the easiest thing to do. Find all the screws and pull, if it doesnt come off then your missing a screw, i never used a panel puller, i just clutch the edges and pull(not yank) well not the first time :). Till me the her get aquainted. Anyways Im sure docs instructions will help, i never pulled the dash apart, so i dont know how high i will be going with it. My biggest pain is the side pillars, everytime i get them detached it is hanging on by this things and i have no idea how to get it off completely, i mean it doesnt matter now, unless i need to for this. But I had a hell of a time running the wiring for my rear view mirror with compass.

13. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I updated my website a little more today. It will be a progressively gorwing site, as I get more organized (and find time).

I usually have to wait until everyone is asleep to get stuff done.

14. dpower

dpower Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looking at Doc' suspension upgrades I was wondering if I missed a piece.
    I have the TRD set, the Tom's front upper stabilizer and the front lower suspension brace.
    I added the TOM's lower body brace (replacing the BT so I have an extra one if any one is interested) but noticed that the floor strengthening brace looks to be a different part. Any idea if this is redundant or an additional piece? I cant seem to find a reference site that shows where all three of these fit.

David

15. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dpower @ Oct 10 2006, 11:49 PM) [snapback]330996[/snapback]</div>
    The floor brace is a separate piece. You can see it at Sigma's website. It fits in front of the lower body brace. There is another member here on PC that has all four Tom's braces. He posted a link somewhere in this thread. Try a search.

16. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Nice job on the signal mirror install and very nice mod webdiary. It's so nice to see a different look from PC too.

17. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Thanks for the compliments. I've added even more to the website. Enjoy everyone. If you have any suggestions or things you'd like me to write up more detailed, just let me know.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That looks good! If only I was more handy lol. I made it past the EV mod which I think is the most technical thing I've done so far.

19. Pious

Pious New Member

Doc,

Nice job on the install & the website. It's very much appreciated. Is the motor assembly you are talking about the JDM Reverse Tilt Module? Also, did you just get another regular mirror for your busted one, or did you go for the JDM photo catalytic mirrors?

edit: Never mind about the reverse tilt module, I think you were talking about the auto mirror motor right?

20. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pious @ Oct 12 2006, 01:50 PM) [snapback]331787[/snapback]</div>
    No, the motor assembly I'm talking about is just the motor that adjusts the mirror position. Also, the mirror I bought was just the standard mirror. I like the heated ones.