1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My official Prius mods thread.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by DocVijay, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Technogeek

Technogeek New Member

Hi DocVijay, what brand of HID kit is that? My car comes with HID lights, but I would be interested in converting the driving lights to HID to lower the power consumption and to provide a better match with the factory HIDs. I like the idea that the HID kit does not require special wiring directly to the battery, it seems more convenient to just use the existing wiring especially with the driving lights.

Also maybe you could take a picture of the light pattern on your garage wall to compare the HID to the halogen bulb (if you still have one of each installed).

2. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What size wipers did you use in the front and back? What kind and manuf?

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yikes, and i thought 4-5 years for the phd was pushing it for me.

in your case the MD would be great for medical trials- the more knowledge you have, the better.

good luck to ya. and if you ever wanna complain about school with me, i'm all about that. :lol:

4. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I ordered the PIAA wipers from Sigma. I got (I think, can't remember now...) the 20" for the front and the 18" for the back.

I'm going to do a small write up on the rear wiper install as it needs a bit of "convincing" to install properly. I've used PIAA wipers before and they work exceptionally well.

5. PRIUSGT

PRIUSGT New Member

I just installed Motegi 17 SR6 on my car with 205/40 good years. No milage drop. I will post pics tomorrow

6. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I got the Pilot kit from eBay. It was only $170, which is a really good price. I liked the convenience of not having to run wires all the way to the battery. Much simpler. The lights match the HID headlights quite well. I'll see about taking some night pics to ge the beam pattern.

The install took only about 20 minutes for the one side, and that included a lot of fidgeting about with the parts under the car, and then realizing it would be easier if I jacked the car up. Hardest part was finding a place to mount the ballast.

One good thing is that the fogs have a metal shield in front of hte bulb which just clears the HID bulb. This keeps it from being too bright, and maintains a reasonable beam.

I'm a bit disappointed about one of the bulbs not working, but hte seller on eBay has been very helpful and very prompt in his email responses. He told me that if the bulb is defective, he'd replace it. Hopefully it's just a loose wire in the harness, and I can get it to work tomorrow.

7. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well, here's a pic of the Scion wheels to tide everyone over until the next mod is done. Just for kicks I put one next to the spare from my Explorer. Both have 17" wheels.

Attached Files:

8. isamu

isamu New Member

Hi there,
    Did you already mount the sensors on the Scion wheels yet? Since we talked before, you know I'm rabidly looking for pictures of the sensors so that I can pick a direction on the forged wheels I want...

Thanks!

9. chrisek

chrisek geek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    DocVijay, man you are organized! Congratulations on getting your Prius, hope you are enjoyng it. Also enjoying this thread, good job.

10. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

No, the sensors are still in the factory wheels, which are still on the car. We just have so much going on that I'm strapped for time. All the things I've done so far have been way after the sun has gone down.

I installed the carbon fiber dash kit last night. THe instructions say that it has to be at least 70 degrees to install it. It was only 50 last night, but it's amazing how much three 500w halogen work lamps can heat up a garage! THose pictures are coming soon. I took some pics already, but since it was almost 1:00 am, the lighting was not too great, and the photos didn't turn out too well. I'll be taking some more tomorrow during daylight. I think it turned out pretty well. It's not going to please everyone, but it's right up my alley.

11. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

SUCCESS! No more disappointment. THe bulb is good, it was indeed a problem with teh wiring harness instead. THe plug that connected the system to the factory bulbs plug was not making proper contact. I went through some pretty extenssive testing of the whole setup and was able to figure it out. The Seller was also very helpful and I highly recommend him. His eBay seller name is "pipi_stuff168" and currently has a 100% rating. If you are interested in an HID kit, I definitely recommend this guy.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBa...3172658&frm=284

Anyhow, down to business. The HID fogs are not excessively bright, and I think I'll be able to use them as auxilliary driving lights with no problem. Toyota integrated a metal shield in front of and surrounding about 60% of the bulb, and helps to maintain a focused beam rather than just flooding the light everywhere. Are they much brighter then the factory bulbs? Very much so, but not to the point of being blinding.

Here are a couple of pics. From this angle, the fogs look brighter than the headlights, but they are not. Looks really nice. Very happy. :D

You can see in the second picture the low and wide beam dispersion of the fog lights. They really light up the road now.

Attached Files:

12. bernzx

bernzx New Member

Could you please list the model number of the Pilot kit you used as there are many Pilot kits listed on the eBay site.
    Thanks,
    bernzx

13. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I got the Pilot 9006 bulb 4300K HID kit. THose numbers shoudl be all you need, and will apply to other kits as well. The seller I used has at least two brands of HID kits with the same type wiring harness and bulbs.

14. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Here are the pics of the Sherwood Dash carbon fiber dash kit. I won't post any before pics, as you all have a Prius of your own to compare it to. These are bright daylight pics. The pieces can be quite reflective, but the sun really brings out the depth of the carbon weave. It's hard to capture it on film (or rather Memory Stick).

Attached Files:

15. Technogeek

Technogeek New Member

Hi DocVijay, great photos. The color of the fogs is now perfectly matched with the headlights, and driving with fogs will now consume less energy for you. :) Thanks for sharing the model number of the HID kit and photos of your progress so far. It's been fun just watching your progress each day. I am interested in doing many of the mods you are doing, but so far I don't have my car yet! Keep up the great work. I'm looking forward to the day that new pics are posted of your car wearing tC wheels! (hint hint). :)

16. cdavid

cdavid Member

Where did you get the carbon fiber kit?

Maybe you could recopy all the mods and note when each were obtrained from.

17. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

OK, here's the list. If I don't have the parts yet, I just listed the place I plan on getting it from.

[eBay] 17" Scion tC wheels w/ 215/45 17 Bridegestone Potenza RE92 tires
    [BT Tech] BT Tech stiffening plate
    [BT Tech] BT Tech rear spoiler (after 2006 colors available)
    [Sigma Automotive] Tom's strut tower brace
    [Sigma Automotive] Tom's front suspension brace
    [Sigma Automotive] Tom's floor brace
    [Sigma Automotive] Tom's rear lower brace
    [Sigma Automotive] Tom's exhaust system
    [Sigma Automotive] Tom's SS braided brake lines
    [Sigma Automotive] Tom's emblem (touch of bling)
    [eBay] Sherwood carbon fiber dash kit
    [eBay] HID fog light conversion
    [Sigma Automotive] Larger front driver's and rear PIAA wipers
    [Sigma Automotive] Stubby antenna
    [undecided] Window tint (brand undecided)
    [VAIS Tech] VAIS AIC-100i and iPod w/ video
    [Sensuous Sounds, Tampa, FL] Rear seat entertainment system, headrest monitors, DVD
    [Sigma Automotive] Signal mirror housings
    [Sigma Automotive] Modellista front/rear spoilers
    [Sigma Automotive] Version A side skirts

18. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    thanks for the PM/heads up that you posted pics. apparently i missed this update.

so is the carbon fiber THAT reflective? does it bug you while driving around? it's really bright down here (suppose it's worse farther south though) and my poor eyes are very sensitive. we have tint... wonder if that would have any effect. i gotta say that cupholder assy looks awesome though, almost like oem but enhanced.

19. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Yes and no. THe carbon fiber is not really that refelctive, it's the clear coat on top. All the surfaces are curved, so any reflections are minimized. So far I haven't even noticed any reflections when driving.

20. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

OK, my first batch of stuff from Sigma Autoimotive is on it's way. It includes the front suspension brace, the front strut brace, plus some other goodies. Stay tuned. I'll be out of town for a wedding this weekend, and I start law school next week, but it should be installed soon...