1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My official Prius mods thread.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by DocVijay, Dec 18, 2005.

1. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hey, I'm really interested when you get to installing the Sportivo suspension. Let us know! :)

2. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Yes, I am thinking of converting my fogs to HID's...

Oh wait, I already did it two weeks ago. Guess you missed the photos.

I've read that article already. While his article is useful, it doesn't apply directly to the conversion of the fog lights. His article is geared towards the conversion of halogen headights to HID headlights. Yes, I agree that this CAN be a problem. Not always, but it can be. Every car is different and he simply cannot make a summary judgement on all headlights woth one blanket statement. Anyway, I already have the factory HID headlights.

Now, like I said, the foglights on the Prius are a perfect setup to be converted to HID. The lighs have an integrated metal reflector that the bulb fits into. Only about 40% of the actual bulb is visible, so all the things he describes don't happen. THe reflector controls the light and refelcts it in nearly the EXACT SAME pattern as the standard halogen bulbs. The light is simply brighter and whiter. I've been driving with them for a while now, day and night, and have yet to have someone flas me becuase they are too bright. They work too, effectively lighting up the ground infront of an dto the immmediate sides of the car. As an added aesthetic benefit, they now match the headlighs perfectly.

4. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    DocVijay - I am curious where you mounted the HID unit for the fog lights. I want to make my fogs HID too. And if I missed it, where did you get that kit and the price? Thanks, Michael

5. tbstout2

tbstout2 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    IMHO, fog lights, as well as the HID lamps, are a menace to other drivers. The fog lights are just not really beneficial EXCEPT during foggy conditions when you need your light beams to be UNDER the fog so as not to reflect on to the fog. So many vehicles that come with fog lamps have them set up so high that they are practically useless for foggy conditions. In addition, TRUE fog lamps include a yellow lens.

One of the problems is that most people don't remember to turn them off during normal driving conditions - thus blinding other drivers as they approach. It's a very uncomfortable situation when a car with an EXTRA set of white lights comes rolling down the opposite lane flashing me in the face with a tremendous amount of white light. When this occurs I simply ask the driver of the car to dim their lamps as I would if a vehicle came at me with their high-beams burning.

As far as HID lamps are concerned, they, too, are overly bright when they approach other cars. The "high-intensity" lamps are just that - intensely high!

I've asked some friends why they burn their "fog" lamps all the time, and what is so great about HID lamps. The answers regarding the "fog" lamps is that they just don't even know when they are on, "not that they make much difference when I'm driving". The HID answer went something like this:

Me: Boy, those lamps are so bright! I hate it when a car approaches me with those on.
    Him: Well, they are bright, but I can see much better.
    Me: Don't you worry that you're blinding the other drivers?
    Him: Well a little, but I feel safer.

Hello!! There we have it! It's the "It's okay that I do it because I feel safer" defense - even if it is unsafe for other drivers who cross my path. That's the same logic SUV drivers use to justify their purchase of a big 'ol vehicle that can crush smaller cars, yet leave them relatively safe when they run over said vehicle.

Ouch... my nose is bleeding now as I stand up here on my soap box!! I love the thought of accessorizing a Prius, Doc, but I take issue with the lamps (could ya tell?!). :p

6. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well, correctly aimed HID headlights are MUCH, MUCH safer than incorrectly aimed halogen headlights.

How many idiots out there have incorrectly aimed headlights? Too many. Or how many cheap bastards are there who are so damn lazy that instead of replacing a burned out headlight they simply drive with the good one on high all the time.

I don't buy the HID's are dangerous crap. Simply rediculous. As far as I know, all cars with factory HID's have a self leveling feature to ensure proper aim. Halogen equipped car do not. The aim on these things often wanders with time. That is a hazzard!

You want the real problem, it's idiots who don't maintain their cars.

tbstout2: When was the last time you checked the aim on your headlights? If you look in the manual of most cars, it tells you how to do this, and how to adjust the aim.

ANyway, I stand by my modification. I tested them thoroughly and they DO NOT make a blinding amount of light. I had my brother drive the car up and down while I checked to see how bright they were. This is the best thing I could have done to the otherwise useless fog lights. Now they are actually usable.

My suspension braces are arriving on Tuesday! Yippee!

7. tbstout2

tbstout2 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III

DocVijay: I had them checked in October. Why do you ask? Is it to prove your point?

8. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

From CarTalk.com (Tom and Ray, aka Click and Clack, the Tappet Bros):

Tom: So the question becomes, to yellow or not to yellow? There's a lot of debate about this, but the research says that yellow lights are no better than white lights at penetrating fog. The theory bandied about was that yellow light has a longer wavelength and is therefore less likely to be reflected by the fog particles. Turns out, this is complete poppycock.

Ray: Apparently, the fog particles themselves are so big that they reflect all colors of light. Basically, all light bounces off of them, so using yellow light instead of white light gives you no advantage.

Tom: Plus, in order to get yellow light, what fog-light manufacturers do is put a yellow lens over a white light. That cuts your light output by 20 percent to 30 percent, which is counterproductive.

9. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm glad you like the aesthetics of your lights. Are they legal? Lighting and car manufacturers spend tons of money on research instead of piecing together a kit from available parts. Maybe the ebay guy stumbled upon just the right combo of pieces that work.

I also have a Toyota Tacoma with fog lights. When I called DanielStern lighting asking about an upgrade, He told me not to bother since no bulb would really improve the lighting without possibly hurting the wiring in the long run. He had bulbs that would fit but said they were not worth it. I did buy some halogen headlight bulbs from him that he recommended, and they are a bit brighter like he said they would be. Part of the reason I trust his opinion is he talked me out of buying bulbs for the fog lights on the Prius and the Tacoma from him.

10. tbstout2

tbstout2 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    LOL... it looks like I'll have to take the word of Tom and Ray! B)

However, KTPhil, you only posted the parts of their answer that addressed ONE small part of my rant about "mostly decorative" fog lights - and it reconfirmed DocVijay's reply to me about improperly aimed lamps.

I Googled the subject and found articles that were for and against yellow lenses – but the argument against makes more sense to me that they don’t actually help.

An incomplete excerpt from Tom and Ray:

Tom: There are many different kinds of lights that people put on the front of their cars these days. ...Most of them are purely decorative. And many are used and/or aimed incorrectly, and they simply blind oncoming drivers

Tom: Fog lights are low-mounted lights (bumper level or below) that project light that's cut off at the top. So the light pattern on a good-quality fog light goes straight out at bumper level and down, but not higher than that.

Ray: The reason for this is that fog tends to hover about 12 to 18 inches off the ground. So by projecting light in that fog-free pocket, you can illuminate the road a greater distance from your car and therefore see farther ahead. Some people swear by fog lights. Others claim that they don't really make much difference.

Ray: …we'd suggest a set of high-quality, white fog lights that are professionally mounted to be sure they're aimed correctly. And don't forget to check their aim periodically…

It sounds like DocVijay is pretty good at setting stuff up on vehicles – folks like him are NOT the problem. There is NO doubt that the majority of folks with fog lamps use them during inappropriate times and those that install their own do a crappy job.

As far as “stock†fog lamps are concerned, take an F-150 or an Expedition that has fog lamps. The damn things are larger then the headlights… and bright, too! Pontiac does a good job with their placement: low and off to the sides of the car.

Well, I’ve wasted another ½ hour on Prius Chat! Drive Safe!

11. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well, as far as I'm concerned, there is no more to discuss on the subject of fog lights, HID, or anything else realted to lights. Mine are HID, and they'll stay that way. There are plenty of other threads on PC to discuss this. My thread here is only to discuss my mods, and as far as the fog lights are concerned, there really isn't anything left to say.

I went in for the full consultation on my planned stereo yesterday. I have pretty ,uch decided on the setup. The front and rear speakers will be replaced by a set of JL Audio components. I'll be using the Evolution ZR series (ZR650-CSi) in the front and rear. THey are pretty pricey, but after thorough listening of them and other speakers, I think these just sound best. Well at least without going up to a set like the Focal Utopia's which are REALLY pricey.

The low end will be hadles by a JL Audio 8W7, which is ideal for hte location I've chosen. We had to verify it would fit, and it will just make it. It will be enclosed in a fiberglass enclosure in the driver's side rear corner.

Amplification will be through a JL Audio 300/4 for the front and rear, and a JL Audio 250/1 for the sub.

Finally, signal processing will be handled by a JL Audio Cleansweep CL-SSI for channel summing, and a JL Audio CLeansweep CL-441dsp for signal equalization and conversion to RCA outputs for the amps.

For the video portion I will get a set of 7" LCD's mounted in the headrests and use a PS2 for the video source. That way I can get movies and games in one small package. Besides, I have one at home, so I can use all the games I have. Err, actually I mean the kids can use all the games. Yeah, that's right, the kids...

Hopefully I'll be getting this around the second week of March or so. Stay tuned.

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good luck controling this bunch. Its like herding cats! ;) Let us know about the Video/Audio changes. Are you getting a back up camera?

13. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Yes, I know. And I've tried herding cats before, too...

First, no, I am not getting a backup camera. I have an '06, so I already have one. Don't really need two... Then again, maybe I'll install one up front. That way when I add the front spoiler and the Sportivo suspension kit, I can use tha camera to make sure I don't hit any curbs.

Well, I put down the deposti on the gear today. We are just waiting for JL Audio to release the CL-SSI for the channel summing. It should be out in anywhere from 2-6 weeks. As soon as it arrives, the system will be installed. I dediced to do it in stages (a matter of time), so the first step will be the ZR components and the 300/4 amp. Of course the two Cleansweep units are necessary for this. the sub will be another step and teh video system will be inatalled last. I figure that even without the sub, it will be far superior to the factory system. Also, that way I can really appreciate these speakers for what they are, and the sub will be the frosting on the cake later on. This part of the system will only take about a day or so to install, so it can be done in one weekend. I can't really be without a car at all right now, so this is the best way. The sub box will take at least 2-3 days to craft and finish, so that will have to wait until I have more time. The video system should also take just a short amount of time, so I'll likely do that pretty soon as well.

14. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Forgot you had a 06. I am at present fixated on the backup camera. I am really lousy at backing up and most of the minor fender benders I have caused in my car have been in backing up and usually hitting a stationary object. I am real good at replacing rear light assemblies on a variety of cars!!! I think the backup camera will help.

15. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

OK, here's a pic of the front suspension brace and the strut tower brace. Nice pieces, not too bulky but plenty stiff. Look very well made. Now if they were only easly installed. THe suspension brace came with no instructions, so it'll be fun trying to pput it on. Actually it's a simple installation, but I haven't been able to figure out where it goes yet. Car is too low to get under there...

The strut brace is normally a VERY easy piece to install. Loosen three bols on each side, slap iton and tighten again. Well, since the Prius is not exactly a big car, the packaging is very tight. I included two pics of the top of the strut tower. At leat that's what you would see if there wasn't a bunch of stuff in the way. That big black plastic piece that is at the bottom of the windshield and in the engine bay has to come out completely. It's a three page, multi-step process, and of course the instructions are in Japanese. Well, good thing I enjoy this kind of thing! Pics of it being installed, and possible my cursing a lot are soon to come (this weekend).

I also go the PIAA wipers for the front. THe passenger side is the factory length, and snaps right on, but the drivers side is a couple of inches longer on each side, and actually has a different mounting system. It does a much nicer job of getting the whole windshield though, and is worth the work. The installation was potentially very difficult.

I say potentially, becuase I found a HUGE shortcut. Edward at Sigma recommended using two of the C1 clips that normally hold the wiper inplace. The passenger side used one of these clips and it snaps right in to the wiper arm. THe driver's side larger wiper has a wider fram where it mounts to the arm, though. The C1 clip would slide back and forth and would not work very well at all. So I looked at the wiper and tried to see how to trim the second C1 clip to put into there to fill the space. Well I thought it looked just big enough for a small plastic compression washer Ihad left over from istalling a faucet. Its a small, hard, black plastic washer that tapers on one side. I cut a little V shape out of it and it snapped right onto the wiper and fit the space perfectly. See the attached pictures/diagram and ask questions if they are unclear.

Attached Files:

16. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Hey.. Doc... I can see how the conversion would be really nice for regular night driving... but when its truelyl foggy and its night.... I would think the lower frequency "Yellow" lights may penetrate the fog better without that nasty back flash in your face?

Have you found that since the HID's are so much brighter and "lower" to the ground that they in fact do a better job in the fog?... or is there a way to have both worlds.... HID's that are yellow?..

You are the only one I know that has the HID conversions so far... I'm curious to see how you like them now that you've had them for a while.

I just got my rig, so I haven't even looked at them closely... was it the bulb that was yellow with the factory setup or a lens?

If it was a lens, it looks like the HID's would work since they don't produce much heat should someone prefer the yellow color.

Thanks.

17. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well, it has been discussed already, but I'll revisit it because I like you! (and you seem to be on my side during most arguments/discussions) :p

The lens is clear, so the fogs now look the same as the HID headlights. The lens/reflector has not changed, so it has the same sharp cutoff as the factory bulb. It jsut shines farther and wider, as well as havign a more natural color. I'm VERY happy with it. I've only had light fog since I installed them, but they worked great. No reflecting or glare as the naysayers swore to. I have no regrets and will probably change my other car to HID fogs as well.

Also, some sources have stated that there is no real benefit to having yellow fogs vs clear fogs. The beam pattern is more important than the color. If the light shines up from the fog light, then it can reflect back at the driver, but if it goes straight out, it can't reflect back becuase of the angle (well, a little can, butit's minimal). Adding HID bulbs to the Prius fogs does NOT change the pattern at all, only the output level.

18. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

After your description, and seeing how wimpy my '06 fogs are, I'm going to do the same mod. I wish you'd taken a couple of photos showing the best place to put the ballast and how to disassemble and replace the fogs, tho! Some of us are rather ham-handed at this "mod" stuff...

19. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well, I din't take any photos, as there is already an excellent source out there made another PC member. Check this link for easy instructions on changing the fog light bulbs. No lamp disassembly involved.

http://www.vfaq.net/mods/Lights.html

The bulbs twist right in. As for the ballasts, you kinda just need to find a place to put them. I just zip tied them to the structure of the car. Less than ideal, but it works. There isn't really a good place to put them under there. The wiring was very simple. The factory harness that plugs into the bulb now plugs into the ballasts harness and the ballast then plugs into the new bulb. That's it.

The home page for VFAQ is http://www.vfaq.net/.

20. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    in
    Thanks.. I knew you were perturbed with the previous discussion, but I didn't find this angle of discussion.... thanks for helping......

It sounds like the original bulb was yellow itself?.. because if the lens is clear, thats the only way I see yellow is being emmitted.... I've got about 47 irons on the fire... my dad is trying to get me to help him with his computer right now and I want to study the manuals!.... I'm trying to do my computer link with him but his system is so fouled up I can't....

anyway.....thanks alot.... if its a toss up as far as how good it cuts through the fog "and" if it doesn't seem to bounce up and blind you.... then it seems wiser to go with the white HID's.