1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My official Prius mods thread.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by DocVijay, Dec 18, 2005.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey, I went and took my flashlight and turned on the fog lights to see if I could see why they were yellow!....

I was shocked to see that the lens is while and the bulb is clear.... when you turn them on the reason they look yellow is because the headlight are so stinkin white and bright, it makes the fog lights look yellow!...... :lol: :lol:

If you could turn off the headlights, then the foglights would look white.....

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    don't think so haha. They look yellow and match the stock halogens. They look really yellow after I changed the headlights to silverstars.

3. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

yea.. I remember I was in front of tumbleweed on the freeway and all the "halogen" lights in the cars around him looked yellow compared to the HID's.

4. benighted

benighted New Member

I can turn off the headlights on mine (diode mod), they still look a little yellow to me, it doesn't bother me though, I mostly just use them for DRL's.

Does anyone know a good place to order bulbs online?

5. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Many have used POLARG & IPF's 9006 HIR halogen for the fogs. They output easily 2x brighter than the factory ones. Search for BobC's post.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How hard/easy is it to do the mod that allows me to turn on the foglights with the headlights off but with the stalk at the first click (i.e. parking and taillights on)?

7. benighted

benighted New Member

Thats the one I did and its the only one I know about. You have to put a diode between 2 wires under the dash, I managed to do it without taking anything apart but it wasn't easy. Look in the knowledge base

8. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

OK, so a bit more progress today. Took a break from the reading and went ahead and swapped the wheels. I'm just going to wait and get a set of 2006 Scion tC tire pressure sensors and have Toyota install them and rogram the ECU. Problem is that the sensors are not even in the system yet. The tC shows the senors there, but the part # is invalid. For teh 2006 Prius doesn't even list the sensors at all! Get on the ball Toyota!

Anyhow, I'll just drive without the TPMS for now, and order them as soon as they are in the system. Read galaxee's TPMS thread for more details info on why I'm using the tC sensors.

I'm still not sure when I'm going to be able to mount the strut bar and front suspension brace. I'm heading up to Detroit next weekend for the big game (Woo Hoo!!!), so that's out of the question. I've also got some sort of big function nearly every weekend all the way through February... Well maybe one day soon.

I also ordered some chromed amber bulbs for the turn signals to clean up the look a little. I feel it's the little details that really make the difference. THos should be here any day, and are exceptionally easy to install. Pics to follow.

Speaking of pics, here are the wheels, as that is what everyone wants. In the last pic you can see that the factory Toyota center caps are a perfect fit! Those little details...

PS: Ignore the messy garage... :(

Attached Files:

9. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Oh, and I also weighed the wheels. Here's what I got.

Scion tC wheels/tires: 42.8 pounds

So now the question is what will the extra 10 pounds per wheel really do?

Well, up to now, I've drive about 3500 miles (in 1 month!) and have averaged between 50-52 mpg overall.

Now we will find out what happens with an extra 40 pounds of unsprung weight... :huh:

Stay tuned.

10. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Since I had the scale out in the garage anyway, I weighed the strut tower brace and the front suspension brace. Someone had asked me to do it, but I couldn't find the request...

Anyway, for whomever wanted to know, here are the numbers:

Strut tower brace: 7.8 pounds including all hardware.

Front suspension brace: 2.4 pounds.

Doesn't sound like much weight, but remember how effective the BT brace is,a nd it's VERY light. I have no doubt these two pieces will help the front end a ton, especially in firming up the steering.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, nice pictures doc!

benighted, thanks!

Edit: Just remembered, my DRLs would be on anyway <_< . So I have to do TWO mods? foglight and DRL off? oye.

12. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Thanks. Now I just need the Sportivo kit. That will give it the perfect stance!

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    interesting note.. I don't know if the dealer did this, but on my 06, it came the tire pressure at 40psi on rear and 41 on the front? I just bumped it up one psi?

14. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

So far, very limited driving range, but I averages 48.1 mpg on the commute this morning, which is about 2 mpg below "normal." It was, however, significantly colder than normal this morning, so I don't know how much that played a part. Likely no more than 1 mpg though.

This evening will not be much warmer, so we'll have to see how it goes. It should warm up again in a few days, so I'll keep reporting.

As for general observations, the ride is not any more rough than with the factory setup. I expected quite a significant difference, but was pleasantly surprised that there wasn't.

Another positive is the further decrease of buffeting on the interstate. Stock it was pretty bad. After the BT plate, it was decreased, and now with the shorter sidewalls, it's even more decreased. Very nice.

Handling is also improved. But I have not had a chance to really test this out yet, but I will very soon.

15. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well, I found out one reason the the ride was still very compliant, as well as lower mileage. The tire pressure in each wheel was around 26-28 psi. I didn't notice it last night, and I forgot to check the tires after I mounted them... Oops :p

Anyhow, now they are up to 42/40 psi, so I'll see how that goes. While it may make the ride a bit more harsh, hadnling and buffeting should be further improved.

To test the buffeting improvement, I drove by or was passed by as many semi trucks as I could find. HUGE difference. I guess the stock tire sidewalls are just that flexible. Anyhow, I'm much happier.

Once I get all the braces in place and install the TRD suspension, this thing is really going to handle.

Now, as for the wheels and their effects. I have not really noticed any significant drop in accelaration on the SOTP meter (Seat Of The Pants). It is a little more difficlut to modulate the switch from EV to ICE, but that could just mean it needs getting used to rather than actually being more difficult.

The mileage did drop quite a bit on my drive home, at 44.5 mpg, but I was in an extreme hurry, so my speed (80+ mph) and driving style were FAR from ideal. Also, the temps were already below 50, which is quite low for here.

Now witht he tires at proper inflation, and the weather warming up tomorrow, hopefully things will improve.

16. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm surprised you haven't been crucified and spit on yet for driving that fast! :lol:

I know what they drive like in Florida...... anything below 80 will get you ran over..... even if your in the right lane! :D

17. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did ya look into aftermarket TPMS systems at all? I'm wondering
    about a decent 5-wheel system for the '04 here...
    _H*

18. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

No, if there is alreadya system integrated into the car, I don't want to have to add something else to do the same thing.

I'm just going to wait until Toyota has enough sensors and starts selling them through the parts department.

19. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

The main problem with extra sensors, someone mentioned here they thought that only 4 sensors could be registered at once.