1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My official Prius mods thread.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by DocVijay, Dec 18, 2005.

1. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well, I'm not planning on switching wheels again once I get the new sensors. There is no need for more thanone set here in Florida. One set of 4 is all I need.

2. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

BTW, the tint is coming on wednesday. Pictures to follow shortly after.

3. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well, I decided tojack up the Prius and see if I couldn't get the lower suspension brace on. It didn't come with any instructions, but even if it did, they'd be inJapanese, and my Japanese is limited to hello, thank you, and cat-nip.

Anyway, it was both easier and harder than I expected. Easier in that it was very easy to figure out, and to install. The hard part was the clearance between the passenger side bolt and the oilpan was next to none. I was barely aboe to wedge the socket in there before the brace, and after I ahd to use some "persuasion" to get it off the bolt. ANyway, it's on ans looks great. It even matches the color of my car!

Here is a before and after pic.

EDIT: Before anyone posts, I DID use jack stands. I'm just paranoid, so I used to jacks as well as backup. You just can't really see the stands in the pic. I would never crawl under a car with only a jack holding it up!

Attached Files:

4. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Bjorn, the lower suspension brace did come w/ a single sheet illustrated instruction, how come you didn't see it? I took it out to make copy but I put it back in, together w/ the instruction for the other brace (but I put them in separately) Can you check the box again and in particularly the packing materials? Well, now it's too late any way, you figured it out! Perfect. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to hearing your experience with this brace.

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Maybe I missed it. THe instructions for the strut brace is there though. Anyway, it wasn't too hard to figure out. THe strut brace is equally easy in its installation. It's the diasassembly of the front cowling that takes up 75% of the pages. The actual strut install is three easy steps.

Anyway I may try and get to that today...

6. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well, the strut bar installation is only easy if you can acually reach the tops of the struts. To get to them you must first remove the pastic wiper cowl, which means you must first remove the wipers, Then you have to unbolt a long piece of sheet metal under that which runs from one side of the car to the other. You must also remove the weather stripping for the hood, and unbolt the relay box. Then, and only then can you actually reach the bolts that you must remove to install the strut bar...

Man of man this is a lot harder than any other car I've done. Most of them are right in hte open and you just grab your ratchet, slap it on, and tighten the bolt back down.

Guess that's what happens when you have 2 motors in there AND you try to kep it compact.

It's going to be a while before I do this. I'm going to go to Toyota TechINfo first and get ALL the relevant diagrams and instructions first.

I may just orde the floor brace and hte rear subframe brace and do those first.

7. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

While the strut bar was a no go today, I did get my chromed turn signal bulbs, and put those in. By far the easiest mod I've done yet. THey are a bit dimmer, but then what do you expect when you chrome a bulb anyway.

Here are some before and after pics.

Attached Files:

8. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i am really enjoying following your modifications, among other things, it relieves me of the need to do some of your mods on my prius, vicarious is good enuf for me right now.
    keep posting!
    art

9. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

OK, I will!

So for now I've decided that the level of effort required to get the strut brace on is so high that I'm going to wait until I get the Sportivo kit. THen I can install it all at once. Save quite a bit of work that way.

I guess I'll just have to get by seeing that brace just sitting in my garage every day... Sigh!

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i take it that your turn signal lights are no longer that orange color? or are they?

11. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

No, they are in fact orange (or rather, amber). The bulbs are regular amber bulbs that are coated with a translucent chrome coating. They look silver but light up orange.

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ahh. i get it. classy touch, rather than having that orange thing in your clear light cover.

13. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I prefer the orange look.... if they all were chrome it would be fashionable to change to colored, but those that like chrome I respect too.... although they look invisible to me until you turn them one, they surprise you when you fire them up... its a bummer they are a bit dimmer. A cool concept, but I like my colored with all the chrome surrounding it.

14. km5er

km5er New Member

You must be a young fella. Too much time and money to burn. But you are entertaining :D

15. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well I'm glad you're enjoying the show.

BTW, define young. I'm probably alot older than you think.

16. km5er

km5er New Member

I turn 50 this year. Anything 49.5 and younger is Young!!

Keep doing the mods. I also have a silver 06. You do the trial and error, post the pictures, and I will steal the good mods and may do them on my car!

17. chrisek

chrisek geek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What do you think of the lower suspension brace? Been busy with "real world" stuff and am getting behind in my mods :-(

18. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Nothing so far. I've only driven it once with it on, and that was to the grocery store with the kids. Not really a good time to test it out. TOmorrow morning I will though.

19. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Guys, for handling-enhancement parts like the various braces & bars, may I suggest the G-Tech/PRO RR for a pre- & post-mod performance measurements? You no longer rely on how your butt feels, you actually see the improvements in numbers. It looks very cool no top of our factory MFD too. :)

[Broken External Image]:http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/GTechPro/gtechprorr.jpg

20. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Time and money... I'm pretty good at burning that too!