1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My official Prius mods thread.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by DocVijay, Dec 18, 2005.

1. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well, after seeing the pics on the Sigma site and a few other places, I decided that I'll be getting the Kenstyle body kit for my Prius. I just like the way it looks.

I may try to install my strut tower brace tomorrow also...

2. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey DocVijay,

Seems you and I both have a thing for suspension products.
    I also have ordered:

Tom's strut tower brace
    Tom's front suspension brace
    Tom's floor brace
    Tom's rear lower brace

I should be getting these parts within the next week or so.

I currently only have the BT brace and the TC wheels. And with those two alone, I noticed a big difference. The low profile tires give a much better response from the sterring wheel and the BT brace tightens the rear end. I just can't wait for everything to come in. I'm eager to install everything at once.

Once installed i'll take pics to share my experience with you and everyone else here.

can you post a picture of your tower brace? Was it a huge difference?

3. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well, I got the strut bar mounted today. It was actually easier than I thought. Took about an hour from popping the hood to washing my hands. Thank goodness for Toyota Techinfo though. I got a 1 month subscription last night, and I plan on printing out the entire set of documents eventually.

Anyway, I was going to do a photo step-by-step, but I didn't have my digital camera, it was in the wife's car... So you'll have to do with some finished pictures and a text write-up only.

First, I HIGHLY recommend that you get the Techinfo subscription. It is invaluable in figuring out where all the clips, bolts, and so on are. Worth the price!

So here goes:

1. Remove cap covering bolt on driver's side wiper and remove bolt. Unscrew the two black bolts on the passenger's side wiper. Now grab the wiper and pull at an angle. THe wiper arms are press fit on the studs, and you need to free them. Prying them up is not an option becuase it's all soft plastic underneath them. Simply pull at an angle, and they should pull off very easily. Set aside.

2. Open hood. Unclip the rubber weather strip from the front edge of the plastic cowl (8 clips). First the driver's side cowl will be removed. At the very edge is a plastic pin. Push up from underneath to get the pin to pop out. Now just grab the cowl and wiggle and pull towrds you and it should come right off. Repeat for the passenger side. Set aside.

3. Wiper motor. First unplug the motor wiring from the harness. Remove the 5 bolts and lift the entire wiper motor assembly out. Set aside.

4. Last step! Unscrew the two bolts from the realy box on the front of the black metal panel that was under the wiper motor. This is for easier access later. Remove the seven bolts holding the metal tray on. Two on each side and three along the middle. Do not try and remove the tray, as the harness is attached to it. Simply rotate it towards you to reach the three bolts.

5. Here comes the instgallation. Unscrew the three bolts on each shock tower. Put the corresponding bracket on each strut tower and replace the three bolts. Tighten. Halfway done!

6. Now flip the black tray back. Bolt on the relay box again. Place the strut bar oto the two brackets. It fits only one way, as the realy box is in the way. It is easier to screw the relay box back on to make sure you put the bar on correctly. Now once you are sure it's on right, put a bolt through each side. The bolt goes on from the back and the nut goes on the front. Insert an 8mm allen wrench into the bolt and tighten. Don't forget the washers!

7. Now reinstall each piece as it was removed. For the wipers, place the arms over the studs loosely and hold it in the right place on the windshield. Now screw on each bolt as you hold the wiper arm in the correct place.

8. Celebrate and take pictures. Then get out and DRIVE!

That's it. Here are the pictures:

Pic 1: Installed!
    Pic 2: Clearance to relay box. Cover still comes off...
    Pic 3: Passenger side.
    Pic 4: Driver's side.
    Pic 5: Follows countour perfectly.

Attached Files:

4. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

One thing you should know, the rear lower brace and the floor brace may not fit without swapping out the factory exhaust for the Tom's exhaust. The Tom's website is rather vague, but that is what it suggests. Anyhow, if you're getting these, I'll wait until you install them to see, and then I'll order the exhaust if needed.

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Oh, nearly forgot...

I need to post my driving experience with the strut bar!

Anyhow, I can;t really quantify how much it helped, as I'm not sure how much I actually feel or what I expected and imagine I feel.

So far it seems to help. The front end feels like it's one solid block now. There is absolutely no vagueness at all in the front now. I imagine once the rear is reinforced the car will feel completely different.

At freeway speeds the car is now rock solid up to 90 mph. There is no wiggle, no wandering, nothing. I took my hands of the wheel and it tracked straight as an arrow even at 80. There is no vagueness at all in the steering or handling now.

In the slower but twistier stuff, it feels more precise now. The front suspension is really doing all the work now, instead of the car itself flexing a bit. It really brings out hte shortcomings of the factory suspension. Then again, this is not exactly a performance car, so I won't fault it for not holding up to the workout I've been putting it through.

Now, I must say that as far as I'm concerned this does indeed help. HOWEVER, if you are an average Prius driver and your goal is maximum mileage and not handling, then skip it (most of you would anyway). If you wan't this little hot rod to have beter handling, you can't go wrong.

Prius GT, here I come! (Now I just need that TRD ECU!)

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice install. I have been wondering if that brace would actually help.

I wonder about toms exhaust. I'm guessing it will be audible for once. He doesn't mention any gain in performance?

I like the idea behind the upper shock brace. The only thing i was wondering about is; isn't there a "cut out" for the brace behind that black plate. To me, it looks like the brace you brace is on the visible side. I would this would be a weaker form of support. It might just be misinterpreting the camera angles.

I know i'm looking foward to upgrading my suspension. Thanks for keeping us posted throughout your installs. :)

7. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

No, there is no space underneath the black metal plate. It is really cramped in there; the Prius is a small car, and certain design compromises had to be made. It is exposed, but I don't think the integrity of the brace is really questionable. First, the parts are pretty hefty. Second, the Prius is a light car, so any forces exerted on the brace is much less than that compared to a much heavier car. I think the brace is more than sufficient for the duties it is expected to perform. All the brace needs to do is kee the tops of the shock toweres from moving in reltion to each other, and I think it will do tha job just fine.

Anyhow, I think judging the actual effectiveness will be harder to tell with each successive part that is added. On its own, each part probably helps quite a bit, but once you start adding more, it gets harder to tell just howmuch it's helping. I don't think the effects are cumulative, but rather complementary, with each part helping the others.

I think if it is done like SaeGai06 is doing it, and installing all at once, I imagien the difference will be huge! Doing things in small increments always makes it harder to judge. Best way would be to get a stock 2006 and do back to back testing.

8. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Doc, Thanks so much for sharing your mods with the rest of us.

I just added the BT plate (first mod) to my new '06 and want to share my impression.

The BT plate definately changed the character of the car, some things improved while other things got worse. Cornering is now more even, with less front end dive and less twitchiness from the rear. It has also reduced the understeer on slow speed corners and has reduced the amount of time it takes the car to regain its composure from 3-4 seconds to around 1 second. However, the car has become more succeptable to tramlining (following road grooves) and buffeting.

I keep thinking that I should have purchased the Tom's brace as it looks more substantial, does anyone here have experience with both?

Next is the lower front suspension brace to help with the tramlining and buffeting.

Brian
    '88 BMW 735i w/sport suspension +1 wheels
    '94 Acura NSX w/5k+ track miles

9. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

If you have the time, read this whole thread. I have the BT brace, the Tom's lower suspension brace, and the Tom's strut tower bar, and wrote my impressions of each one. Each has helped in some way, and I do not regret spending the money or spending the timt to put them on.

The floor brace and rear suspension brace are next (see post #1 for all the parts I'm planning).

10. Prius_guy

Prius_guy New Member

I have also have the Pliot 4300k HID plug and play kid on my Acura Integra how much did you gets your for?
    I paid 205 for pickup or shipped here the link to the guy on ebay, I got mine from
    http://stores.ebay.com/pipi-stuff168
    EDIT I see you got your's for $170 that really cheap!

11. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Mar 24 2006, 06:57 AM) [snapback]229477[/snapback]</div>
    Ain't that the truth! And that brings me to my almost impossible-to-answer question for you:

I'd like to stiffen the front end, and I'd like to add just ONE of the braces - upper or lower. So... considering the price, ease of installation and result (there's the hard one!) which brace would you recommend if only one is used? From ease of installation alone, it sounds like the lower one is the winner?

Thanks for the great info!

12. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Mar 30 2006, 12:15 PM) [snapback]232406[/snapback]</div>
    Well, that's actually a tough answer.

The lower is easier in theory. Loosen two bolts, put brace in, tighten nuts on brace, tighten the two bolts, and you're done. OF course this is all happening UNDER the car which is low to begin with. Jacking it up is a pain. If you have a lift, it'd be much easier. Plus one of the two bolts has minimal clearance with the oil pan...

The top brace, on the other hand has MANY more steps, but are individually much easier to do. More tediuos by far, but also much "simpler."

So which would I say is easier? Physically, the top brace. Mentally the bottom brace.

Now if the actual work is not the issue, then it comes down to which is more beneficial. Yes, you are right in saying that the lower seems to be better, but I never got a chance to test the top by itself. But I do think the bottom did more individually.

13. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Tough? I assumed it would be impossible! You did an admirable job in your attempt, however. Thanks much. I think I will (at least) start with the lower bar. I don't mind working under the car, and I assume that ramps would make it quite a bit easier.

14. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well, I just ordered a set of aluminum lugs. I figure I'll just try them out for a while and see how they do. I'm going to keep a full set of the stock steel lugs with me, and check the Al lugs frequently to see how they hold up. I'll also keep my torque wrench with me to check to make sure they aren't looseing up on me. I'll report back on how they do...

15. Dr Rocket

Dr Rocket New Member

What are the advantages of the $500 front suspension braces? How much better is the ride?

Please list where you obtained these mods.

16. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Rocket @ Apr 4 2006, 09:59 AM) [snapback]234641[/snapback]</div>

Read posts #103 and #125, that's where I go over my experiences. There is another post where I list my sources for all the parts...

17. PRIUSGT

PRIUSGT New Member

I figured I chime in on this thread. I am going to be doing the same things DOC has been doing but I wanted to shoot the question out there for power gains. I know we can make the little car handle great and also look go, but what about any peep gains. I made a custom exhaust which by "Butt Dyno" helped out. I am thinking of making a custom air box as well. Anyone else try anything or see anything other than the blitz turbo system?

18. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    PRIUSGT,
    Yeah I'm thinking tuned intake mod. I've got some formulas, I've got a source for silicone tubing, I'm thinking just put a K&N cone filter at the end.
    I need the the intake cam timing (degrees BTDC open and close only) and then I can calculate the length.
    Plus I'm just outside of Stockton.

19. Dr Rocket

Dr Rocket New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Apr 4 2006, 07:21 AM) [snapback]234652[/snapback]</div>
    Ooops! Still learning how to use this forum and didn't realize there were 7 pages. I thought you stopped posting in December!

I appreciate reading all your posts and your answers. Sounds like I'll add the BT brace and lower front bar first. Thanks.

20. bernzx

bernzx New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PRIUSGT @ Apr 4 2006, 05:10 PM) [snapback]234934[/snapback]</div>
    PRIUSGT,
    Could you share the details of your custom exhaust? What kind of muffler did you use, is it loud at freeway speeds? Did you replace the exhaust pipe too? Any gains in your gas mileage?