1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My official Prius mods thread.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by DocVijay, Dec 18, 2005.

1. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SaeGai06 @ Apr 20 2006, 12:27 PM) [snapback]242630[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I read the thread. My Sportivo kit should be here in 6-8 weeks... Can't wait!

2. Escalade_on_22s

Escalade_on_22s New Member

Here's some pics of my new Wed's... I'm liking the results so far, but I really wish I could get some 17's as light as these. Still waiting on the JDM aero kit and the Sportivo suspension...

Sorry, removed pics to make space

3. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Which body kit did you get? The "factory" Version A or the Modellista. I'm planning on the Kenstyle right now.

4. Escalade_on_22s

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Apr 27 2006, 08:48 AM) [snapback]246061[/snapback]</div>
    I went with the factory ver A kit. It supposedly comes painted to match, and I imagine it's fit/finish will be a little nicer since it's apparently an option in Japan (but who knows). I also liked the sleek appearance - it's fairly dicrete but really enhances the cars look. I want to keep everything as "factory" as possible so it doesn't screw up my resale, and maybe will even help a bit (but probably not).
    Bryan

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

OK, went back to Sensuous Sound ( http://www.sensuoussound.com/ ) to check onthe status of the parts I ordered. All are in EXCEPT for the JL Audio CLeansweep SSI, which just happens to be one of hte two most critical parts! I called JL and they said June...

Anyway, we finalized plans for the system today. Components are sinply going in the stock locations, cmpletely stealth. Amps are going under cargo floor. Decided to get the JL Audio 500/1 instead of hte 250/1 to power the 8W7 sub. It's better to have too much and not use it than to have too little and strain the amp. We'll just turn the gain down a bit. The sub box will be a completely fiberglass box and should hold the 8W7 just fine.

Getting two Alpine 6.5" widescreen monitors in the headrests. I'm looking to see about getting another set of headrests from another Toyota model with slightly larger headrests so the mnitors don't look so out of place. A PS2 is going in the center console, and the audio will be input through the auxilliary in jack there. That way it is controlled fully by the head unit. That's why I'm getting the Cleansweep processor, to keep all the crap neatly integrated. I ordered a "black box" from Sigma so that I can get the PS2 video output on the nav screen, so that starting up a movie will be easier. Can't exactly see the DVD menu on the BACK of the headrest from the front now can I. Plus if I ever get bored or have to wait for someone, I can pop in a game and entertain myself. Also, I plan on getting a small camera and connecting it to the boxes reverse camera input, only use it for the front and activate it by a switch. It'll help parkng once I get the TRD kit and the body kit.

That's about it on the entertainment front.

6. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

So it seems that the headrest from an Avalon will fit, and it looks to be a near exact match in clolor too. I may have to stop by Toyota next week to double check.

7. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I got my shark-fin a week ago. Very easy install. Took all of 5 minutes and it's straight as can be. There had been some complaints for the Classic Silver, but mine is flawless. Guess they fixed the problem. Looks great. No reception loss. Very happy.

8. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey Doc, pics for the installed Shark Fin please! B)

Thanks.

9. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Here are some new pics. Two are the new naked, emblem-less Prius. Others are of the shark-fin antenna.

I know that as I drive by people are going to be asking, "Who's Tom?" :p

10. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Finally took pictures of the TOMS Lower body brace and Front suspension brace.

[attachmentid=3386][attachmentid=3387]
    The lower body brace does away with the BTech Plate.
    [attachmentid=3388][attachmentid=3389]
    [attachmentid=3390][attachmentid=3391]
    [attachmentid=3392][attachmentid=3393]
    [attachmentid=3394][attachmentid=3395]

11. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SaeGai06 @ May 11 2006, 11:39 AM) [snapback]253616[/snapback]</div>
    That body brace looks pretty aggressive with those triangles going all over the place. The lift didn't hit/press against that brace? Can you give another picture later of that area were the normal/BT brace goes without the lift in the way? Thanks.

So how's the Prius now? So were the mounting points already there for the body brace and what were they for, or did you have to drill? Does either part of the floor brace touch or will touch the exhaust piping with road vibration?

12. electricity_guzzler

electricity_guzzler New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SaeGai06 @ May 11 2006, 02:39 PM) [snapback]253616[/snapback]</div>
    wow! now that's an impressive looking brace!

13. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Any clearance issue witht he exhaust system? The Tom's site mentioned that the rear brace would hit hte exhaust, but it doesn't seem to do that from what I can see.

If everything clears, then I may go ahead and order those two without the exhaust.

14. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ May 11 2006, 01:13 PM) [snapback]253688[/snapback]</div>
    Doc,

Everything clears and I have no issues with the exhaust hitting the rear brace.

I wish i could say i noticed a huge difference for each piece i installed but, I installed everything at once and enjoyed the final outcome.

I definatley love the way the vehicle handles now, espically with the low profile tires on the tC wheels steering response is awesome.

Now i'm just waiting for sigma to replace the "Floor stregtening brace" that was lost in UPS transit.

Doc, I'll be waiting for your feedback on the Sportivo supsension before i order mine.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ May 11 2006, 11:57 AM) [snapback]253635[/snapback]</div>

NuShrike,

The brace did not hit the lift but, was pretty close though. On my next oil change i'll ask to use there other lift and get a clear shot of brace.

All mounting points were already there. I just needed to remove 2 plastic covers that conceil the mounting holes for the bottom left and bottom right of the rear brace.

Your other questions are answered in a previous thread.

Thanks

15. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SaeGai06 @ May 11 2006, 04:30 PM) [snapback]253696[/snapback]</div>
    Great to hear that. Maybe it's just the floor brace that has the clearance issues then.

Sounds like the brace uses factory mounting points just like the floor brace does. Toyota just puts some stickers and paint over the holes.

Looks like I'll have to order this pretty soon.

16. electricity_guzzler

electricity_guzzler New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SaeGai06 @ May 11 2006, 04:30 PM) [snapback]253696[/snapback]</div>
    did you install the tires at the same time with the braces? if you installed separately, can you say if the tires improved the handling more than the brace did or vice versa?

i wonder why the mounting holes are already there? did toyota anticipate these mods?

17. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

18. Escalade_on_22s

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SaeGai06 @ May 11 2006, 05:45 PM) [snapback]253758[/snapback]</div>
    It seems that there are many optional pieces for the car that just aren't offered here in the states. The body kit I mounted this week was simple to install because provisions for the kit were already built into the vehicle. I assume the same goes for the brace. I think the Japanese market offers some type of Prius "GT" that comes with a styling package, good suspension, and handling braces. I wonder if they have higher capacity batteries and MG's available as well?? I wonder why this stuff isn't offered to us at the dealer. Cheap bastards.

19. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if they have higher capacity batteries and MG's available as well?

very very very very doubtful

20. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ May 6 2006, 03:58 PM) [snapback]250826[/snapback]</div>
    If anyone has a spare "Tom's" emblem they don't plan on using, I may want it. I don't really like raised emblems, but this one would make sense ;-)