1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My official Prius Plus mods thread.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Cheap!, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gripper @ Sep 12 2007, 02:00 PM) [snapback]511457[/snapback]</div>
    You want to go to Calcars.org and to http://www.eaa-phev.org/wiki/PriusPlus. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Thanks.

2. drewsdaddy

drewsdaddy New Member

3. benighted

benighted New Member

Overseas Priuses get better MPG because a gallon is bigger overseas...

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While it's tempting to dismiss the question with "no such thing",
    it's an interesting to think about the possibility of. The ECU
    reflashes are often referred to as "calibrations", and in some cases
    may simply be lists of parameters rather than wholesale changes to
    the code running on the ECUs. Such as the fix for the "stalling"
    problem, in which the hybrid controller gave up on cranking a balky
    engine sooner than it should -- fixed by a different number stored
    somewhere, whether it was a time or a number of revs or whatever.
    Next question is, then, are the "calibration" files for the US vs.
    EU/JP markets different, and if so in what way? They come on CDs
    from Toyota, they ought to be obtainable. I don't think anyone has
    ever picked one apart, and it's likely to be rather opaque blobs of
    bits that don't mean anything if you're not the ECU's processor,
    but looking for changes might reveal a few things.
    And yes, there is the Imperial gallon factor to consider..
    _H*

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There really is nothing new in this world!!

6. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for taking the time to post your experience here. I'm looking forward to starting my own conversion in the not too distant future, and I'm sure I'll be in touch with you, Chris, and the CalCars crew. I'm debating whether to go straight Prius+ PBa or a slightly modified version with an alternate battery. The Nilar's are tempting. I have a feeling my cheap side is going to win this one though ;)

Finished the first big step. :)

Step 1: Get Prius.... Check!

Bought a rebuilt/salvage 2005 w/ 20k miles since I'm planning to void the warranty anyway. Saved about $10k over new.

Can't wait to get started! Step 2 is clear out the "fleet". Need to do some repairs on several other vehicles to get them out of the yard before SO will approve project funding :rolleyes:

Rob

7. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I have just come back from the Nilar conversion in Boston and I believe Calcars and the volunteer group are making progress with this experimental technology. We as a group were honored to be joined by Hobbit for a visit at this event. While we did not get much work done on the conversion due the questions from interested on lookers, as a group we were able to share ideas and theories about the PHEV system and about ways to improve them.

Hands down, I would have to say the work Chris Ewert is doing to advance this open source project is some of the most important research to the project since Ron Gremban started it in 2004. I presented my first battery box kit at this event and I must say it still needs improvement. I will install it in my car over the next week or so and I document it here.

In keeping with the open source structure of this project, I will keep assisting those who want to do it themselves. If I can help by providing pre-built parts that is fine, but I will always be here to give free advice on your project. I have seen some great results using the PHEV system and while it won't work for everyone, I believe in the system enough to encourage others who want one too.

It is just 29 days until the Austin Maker Faire where we will do an install of this system live. I will document my work on that project here too.

Thanks.

8. GripperDon

GripperDon New Member

Thanks Cheap, There is a tremendous audience of interest, However some are not able to escape from duties to make the trips to these great meetings. Personally I have never been able to get a reply form the big guys, Cal cars, Hymotion etc. It seems as if you don't have $10,000 or more to spend they are not interested, odd actually.

Anyway It sure seems like someone would do a simple thing like a charger plug just as a way to get started, I know I know it's only a 3 to 4 mile battery but it's a start at getting into the process. That's a big part of the battle, getting actually started.

9. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Gripper,
    On our system we do not charge the OEM battery at night time. If we did we would not be able to enter EV mode. Also, when the OEM battery State of Charge SOC is too high the Prius does strange things to get rid of that extra energy, like spin the ICE when you are parked, or stopped just to use up that extra energy.

The way I started is with a Can-View to just get readings on the system. I have to tell you being able to see the battery temperatures help you understand some of what is going on in the Prius system.

Today I finished removing the heavy steal battery box in the back of my car. That thing must way 100 lbs. by itself. I have built a nice aluminum battery box that tops out at about 30 pounds with contactors, fuses, and wire harness. I feel it will be more secure as I made it with both a see through lid for shows and then I use both the see through lid and the aluminum lid bolted down for travel. It is also shorter front to back so it is not so far in the crumple zone like the last box was. This time I am going to remove my spare and jack for further weight savings. However, I am going to add back my floor around the box for a finished look.

I try to add a photo here later tonight.

10. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

As displayed at the Boston Conversion. This has the clear show lid that stays on all the time. To the left you can see part of the aluminum lid that gets screwed down during transport.
    [attachmentid=11632]

As displayed at the Boston Conversion
    [attachmentid=11633]

This is my first attempt at the world’s first PHEV kit. I made this box and I only had two days to do it. I want to make boxes complete with low power and high power wire harnesses, control board, contactors, and fuses. The only other items you would need would be the Can-View, Charger, and Batteries. If you want to make it yourself I will be happy to give you free advice on this project. This one will go in my car and the next will have several more improvements.

I just feel the heavy steel box is just too much for the Prius. I should be able to save 75 pounds as compared to a steel box.

Attached Files:

11. emailcurt

emailcurt New Member

Impressive work Cheap! I would definitely be interested in detailed plans, ready-to-assemble parts, or even a completed box when you're ready

12. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WOW your box looks nice! Now I'm temped to lean toward doing it myself instead of waiting for Hymotion.

Since the spare tire would be most likely not be easily accessible do you think a smaller batter pack could fit in that extra space? If so do you think it would be possible to link to two packs with a daisy chain type connection? I just hate to have unused space just lying around. Maybe fit the circuits and charger under there and add some extra batteries to the sides?

13. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Very nice work Cheap!

Has anyone (to your knowledge) looked at a quick disconnect version that could be removed for long distance trips? I realize of course this would take a shop crane to remove a 300lb battery box, but still :) WAF (wife acceptance factor) would be greatly enhanced on long trips if we could swap out the battery for a spare tire.

Rob

14. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emailcurt @ Sep 24 2007, 11:07 AM) [snapback]516889[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. My goal is to see 100 PHEV's on the road by the end of this year and 500 on the road by next year. I can start to help you get the parts you need right away. I have to say though I am committed to helping Calcars, so I must keep on track for the Austin conversion of Darren's car. I want his conversion to go smoothly and to look amazing. Since my problems with connectors, I am taking extra care with the cables.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheForce @ Sep 24 2007, 11:27 AM) [snapback]516904[/snapback]</div>
    The Force.
    We all know you will have an amazing conversion. The better we can make these look the more will get on the road. After the Maker faire we can find all sorts of things to do with the extra space but keep weight in mind. This is an open source project so lets work together to make these kits work for everyone!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rob Smith @ Sep 24 2007, 11:50 AM) [snapback]516917[/snapback]</div>
    Rob,
    The is exactly what I want for me. I love the outdoors and I want to be able to slide out the battery box for camping trips, and long distance trips where I won’t need the second pack. An engine host should do the trick and I will work on that in the future. Right now I want to make a basic lead acid box so more people can start to “hypermile†in PHEV’s to see what we can get. One guy in Seattle got over 1600 miles on a tank so far and he was only able to put in less than ten gallons of gas afterwards. I bet one day soon we will see someone with a 250 mile per gallon tank. The only question is will it be you?

Video Link Here

Now the first step of any conversion I help with is to try and talk you out of it by telling you all the negative stuff about it and I will have to get back to that later tonight.

15. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, *I* felt honored to be able to hang around with y'all, and
    finally meet the CalCars crew too without having to drive 3000
    miles. It was a fun day, and nice to see all these different
    installation approaches in one place.
    A removable pack, or packs, is in my mind THE way to go. Long road
    trips won't benefit from a conversion unless you can recharge. And
    it should be possible to make modules that aren't *that* heavy --
    manageable by hand with two people, for example, with the benefit
    that you get a reminder how good your SO looks lifting the other
    end of a heavy object...
    _H*

16. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Sep 24 2007, 10:36 AM) [snapback]516859[/snapback]</div>

Jim, very nice job, you are getting into something now. If you're planning on a removable battery pack,take in consideration the total weight loaded with the motorcycle batteries, it may be rounding 300 lb and even more.

How about to make this nice looking box in 2 (two) sections with electrical interconnects, it will be much easier to handle for install/reinstall by 2 people in such a way, being that it will be half the weight to handle. Not everybody has access to a hydraulic HOIST in their garage.

As a note,I have a 485 Lbs add on battery box now that I can handle by myself, with the help of a rolling cart of the same hight of the car and box, I roll the box to/from it to install and reinstall, but the size and weight is cumbersome. I have no need to remove this very often, probably 4 times in 10 months, but it is a job...

[attachmentid=11652][

Soon wil be the 5th and for good.

Two pieces, something to consider.

Regards,

Attached Files:

17. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

18. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rob Smith @ Sep 25 2007, 05:26 AM) [snapback]517323[/snapback]</div>
    you should check the Panasonic Industrial line of AGM's. Much better discharge rate than BB and if you shop wisely at a very good price.

19. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Sep 24 2007, 06:36 AM) [snapback]516859[/snapback]</div>
    Wow! It looks like your kit will make the PHEV modifications easy. I'd consider going plug-in sometime late next year when my extended warranty expires. B) Or I could start putting stuff together now to have ready when the time comes.. I don't know but I do need advice... Lots ans lots of advice :unsure:

20. benighted

benighted New Member

double post