1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My official Prius Plus mods thread.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Cheap!, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Weekend Project Three

Control Board
    [attachmentid=7493]
    This is a picture of an old version control board. Sorry folks, I don't have a picture of the new one yet. But I can tell you it looks much different as it only has one relay on it now. I spent some time this weekend stuffing the board with resistors. I could complete the whole board in about 4-6 hours if I could just lock myself away for that long. I hope to finish stuffing the board this week. I got the control board from Calcars.org for $42.25 and $3.00 shipping. Prices can go up and down depending on how many people order boards at the same time.

Here is a parts list for the control board. [attachmentid=7494]

The parts cost me $89.40 with tax and shipping.

Total so far
    Can-View V4 = $403.00
    Vent parts = $11.04
    Control Board and parts = $134.65

Sub total = $548.69

Attached Files:

2. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I just wanted to add some pictures of the new control board. Sorry, but I am down to a camera phone right now.

Control board with resistors
    [attachmentid=7523]
    Control board with some resistor networks, diodes, and some of the capacitors
    [attachmentid=7522]

I’ll have to get back to stuffing parts on Wednesday night. It's late, good night.

Attached Files:

3. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Weekend Project Three

Control Board
    [attachmentid=7596]

Doing taxes really got in the way of my hobby! As soon as they were over I got back to work stuffing and soldering more and more parts.

[attachmentid=7597]

And more parts

[attachmentid=7598]

And More.

[attachmentid=7599]

And More!

[attachmentid=7600]

AND STILL MORE!!!

[attachmentid=7601]

I still have to solder in three more parts. They are resistor networks RN1, RN2, (near top left) and RN8 (near bottom right). RN1, and RN2 are backordered from Digikey and I forgot to order R8 with the other parts.

All in all I believe most anyone who wants to do this project could complete stuffing this board in one weekend. This is not rocket science…it is more like paint by numbers. I only had to work on it during the entire week because I have a lot more trouble finding free time now-a-days. I have all the chips to insert into the IC sockets, but I want to finish soldering before I do that.

Now, I must move on to the high power parts. I have to go confirm the parts I need and then I will make a parts list for them. I hope to order them by this Monday...and with any luck I will be able to do "Weekend Project Four" next weekend.

I'll try to put in one or two more posts regarding the low power board and I do need to revise the parts list again as one or two parts are no longer needed for this new board due to refinements. I'll be sure to update the parts list for Calcars.com too.

Total so far
    Can-View V4 = $403.00
    Vent parts = $11.04
    Control Board and parts = $134.65

Sub total = $548.69

Attached Files:

4. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I'm trying to verify parts and to choose what parts I want to include in my conversion. I have decided not to include heating for the batteries during night time recharge as I live in Houston and it is spring. I want to get the conversion running first and at the end of fall when the temps drop to an ice cold 45 degrees outside, I will consider adding that option at that time.

On that note it use to be that Priuschat members who live in the north would dread the winter as the cold affects fuel economy and lowers mpg averages. Northern Prius owners would envy our temperatures in the winter. On the other end of the spectrum southern folks have to turn on our AC’s sooner and in our ten month long summer we see low mpg averages. We envy our northern Prius family's summer temperatures.

I would have to say with grill blocking it looks as though the Prius does much better in the north all year long. Way to go! Now I just have to find a way to insulate the Prius cabin down here with thermal barriers in the doors and ceiling, rear window slats, and reflective tint, so I won’t have to use the AC as much when it is 100 degrees outside.

Here is my High Voltage parts list so far. All the parts should be there but I’m not sure of the quantities. I’ll keep working on it.

[attachmentid=7608]

Attached Files:

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like to hear more about how the battery heating thing works...would it be something adaptable to the OEM battery only? I'd love something like that for next winter.

6. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 22 2007, 11:10 AM) [snapback]427783[/snapback]</div>
    :D
    It is nothing more than three heating pads from Wal-Mart that hook to a sealed outlet box that is controlled by a relay. When the temperature gets too cold while charging, the relay flips and turns on the heating pads to heat the extra battery pack. The extra battery pack charges much better when warm.

The extra battery pack, like the Prius Main battery pack likes about the same temperatures as you and me. That is why they need to be in the cabin. When their temp is close to ours they work at their best. If it is hot you turn on the AC and it helps the batteries, when your cold you turn on the heat and that helps the batteries

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Apr 22 2007, 11:32 AM) [snapback]427798[/snapback]</div>
    What's the wattage draw on those things?

I wonder how I could get a relay like that built for the OEM Prius just for the heating pad since I won't be charging....dang, why didn't I take some electronics classes in school?

8. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 22 2007, 08:30 PM) [snapback]428063[/snapback]</div>
    The wattage comes from the wall plug while the second pack is charging. The heating pads won't/can't come on when the Priusplus is not plugged in.

9. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Ok one last Low Power Control Board photo from Chris Ewert who has been helping me every step of the way. He converted his Prius in Apr. 2007. I really need a new digital camera!

[attachmentid=7620]

Attached Files:

10. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Apr 22 2007, 11:45 PM) [snapback]428142[/snapback]</div>
    A new digital camera and a PHEV conversion at the same time? that is a lot!!!. Save for the batteries.....

11. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Today was a good day for my conversion.
    I got confirmation that the contactors, fuses, and fuse holders are on the way to me this morning. At noon I received a touch screen for my Can-view so I will be able to go ahead and install the Can-view into the car. My High Voltage parts were ordered from Digi-key late this afternoon.

Tomorrow I will start final selection and purchase of my batteries, and charger. Throughout this next week I need to get some ABS Plastic, Muffin fans, (That’s right I said it!) and a few other various parts so I can mount the contactors, diode, fuses, and fans. If all the parts come together by this weekend I’ll post any work I get done.

I should be able to update cost later this week.

12. cewert

cewert New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 22 2007, 07:30 PM) [snapback]428063[/snapback]</div>
    The heaters are just standard 50 watt heating pads. It wouldn't be hard at all to put them in, even on a non-PHEV Prius. You can probably find an off-the-shelf thermostat that would work.

Ron Gremban (CalCars) has suggested (but has not tested to my knowledge) putting some heating pads under the OEM battery and using them to heat that up. I have a feeling that heat is just going to goto the chassis right away though and I'm concerned that it might not heat evenly and get the OEM battery cells out of whack with each other. Ron also has suggested forcing the OEM battery fan on when the car is started and the OEM pack is colder than the air temp in the cabin. The idea would be to use warmer cabin air to heat the battery, and the fan theoretically heats evenly - something that the heating pads might not do. The latest CalCars PriusPlus control board does have the mechanism to do that built in.

13. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

[attachmentid=7652]

High Power Parts are on order and they should be here in a few days. These are mostly parts you won't see or won't notice but are needed such as thermistors and cable ends and diodes.
    Here is a parts list.
    [attachmentid=7650]
    My cost for "these" parts plus tax and shipping is $174.99.

This does not include the two contactors, two fuses, and two fuse holders with shipping that I paid for today. $277.72.

Well it looks like Cal-cars was right. I think this little hobby of mine will ring in right at about $3,500.00. Thank goodness for that $3250.00 tax return.
    Shhhh...Just don't tell Mrs. Cheap! ;)

Total so far
    Can-View V4 = $403.00
    Vent parts = $11.04
    Low Power Control Board and parts = $134.65
    High Power parts = 452.71

Sub total = $1001.50

Attached Files:

14. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Today I received my HV parts from Digi-key, they are fast! I should get my other HV parts in two more days. I have found the right batteries for my conversion and they do cost more then I had hoped, but the real problem is I have fewer funds then I thought. While I try to save up some cash for buying the batteries I figure I will have enough parts here to keep me busy. There is taping the main battery, installing the Can-View and screen, connecting it to EV mode, and then there a lots and lots of wires to run. I am hopeful I can prepare the car for the batteries so that all I will have to do is drop them in. Nice plan anyway. Since there is still many things to do I will take pictures of all the procedures.

15. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Apr 25 2007, 06:23 PM) [snapback]430111[/snapback]</div>
    So which batteries are they? Have you checked out the CSB EVX line of batteries?

16. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Apr 25 2007, 05:23 PM) [snapback]430111[/snapback]</div>
    Now that you selected the appropriate batteries for your project, you realize the expense that these are and you have the OBLIGATION of making these to last as much at possible. Is it there in your PHEV conversion plans to provide a battery equalization/charging/protection circuitry? Let me tell you, YOU SHOULD.

I realized that after driving and charging my converted Prius to phev, named "DUAL PWR-PHEV", the batteries do need a constant attention at power charging time, if not you are risking to ruin them, it happened to me twice in 4 months already.

My approach, I'm building from scratch 20 MM Mark2C battery regulators and with these attached to each battery, I will prevent overcharging, charge unbalance in a series string connection, charge overheating and selective undercharging. Besides all of these batt regulators connect to the MM in lane charger for monitoring and overall power charge control.

I do not know which battery charging procedures the people from CalCars are fallowing, I never found a reference for this mater in their DIY guide, but being that it is an ongoing project and with very often technical additions, I'm sure that in the near future some thing will get publish egarding in this mater.

BTW, I'm still waiting to have my project car, " DUAL PWR-PHEV ", mention in their chronological time table of events as a completed and functional, a not for profit or for commercial gains converted Prius.

If you require more information about the Battery Regulators, PM'me.

17. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sub3marathonman @ Apr 25 2007, 06:55 PM) [snapback]430177[/snapback]</div>
    Twenty B.B. Battery EVP20-12. I could not find CSB EVX line for the same price.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrbigh @ Apr 25 2007, 07:41 PM) [snapback]430211[/snapback]</div>
    Mr. Bigh,
    You are so right about me wanting to take care of the new pack. For me this is a hobby, something to do with my time. However, I have to watch my money too. I would like to discuss with you in greater detail your conversion and what you have learned. I am from Long Island and I normaly go up there once or twice a year to visit family. The next time I am up there--soon I hope-- I will see if we can meet up at a Lipog meeting. I will pass your questions on and lets see what answers we get. You are right the DIY pages are not complete and we are still working on them even now. "Mostly others not me."

I do see your name however and a link to your pages. I cut and pasted from their web site so I know it is there and working.

Current Vehicles
    per http://www.calcars.org/where-phevs-are.html

Fall 2004 - CalCars PRIUS+/Ron Gremban by Ron Gremban, EnergyCS and CalCars team
    Mar. 2005 - EnergyCS by Greg Hanssen, Pete Nortman and team
    May 2005 - Energy CS/Clean-Tech by EnergyCS
    Sept. 2005 - Amberjac Projects Ltd UK, by EnergyCS/Amberjac
    Feb. 2006 - Hymotion by Hymotion
    Mar. 2006 - Electro Energy by CalCars and Electro Energy
    Mar. 2006 - South Coast Air Quality Management District by EnergyCS
    Apr. 2006 - CalCars/Felix Kramer by EnergyCS
    Apr. 2006 - Sacramento Municipal Utility District by EnergyCS
    Apr. 22-24 - Ryan Fulcher of the Seattle EVA by CalCars and the Maker Faire team
    May 2006 - City of Santa Monica by EnergyCS, (Los Angeles County, contact rick.sikes [at] smgov.net)
    July 2006 - Pacific Gas & Electric/Bay Area Air Quality Management District by EnergyCS, (San Francisco County, contact sxtg [at] pge.com
    Aug. 2006 - Hourcar by Hymotion, (Twin Cities, MN, contact [email protected])
    Aug. 2006 - Southern California Edison by EnergyCS, (Los Angeles County)
    Aug. 2006 - South Coast Air Quality Management District #2, by EnergyCS (Los Angeles County)
    Sept. 2006 - Hybrids-Plus by Hybrids-Plus, (Boulder, CO, contact http://hybrids-plus.com)
    Sept. 2006 - Manitoba Hydro by EnergyCS, (Winnipeg, Manitoba)
    Sept. 2006 - Veridian Corp. by Hymotion, (Ajax, Ontario, contact dhillsmilligan [at] veridian.on.ca)
    Oct. 2006 - Chelan County (WA) Advanced Vehicle Initiative's "WhiteBird" was converted with the second PiPrius kit, (Contact Ron Johnston-Rodriguez: info [at] plugincenter.com or (509) 663-5159)
    Nov. 2006 - Todd Dore of the Fox Valley EAA chapter, Prius GrayPearl was converted with the third PiPrius kit.
    Nov. 2006 - CalCars new PriusPlus conversion of Sven Thesen's 2005 Prius
    Nov. 2006 - Fairfax County, VA by Hymotion
    Nov. 2006 - Idaho National Laboratory of US Department of Energy by EnergyCS
    Nov. 2006 - Idaho National Laboratory of US Department of Energy by Hymotion
    Dec. 2006 - DUAL PWR-PHEV by Horacio Calvento, Long Island, NY (contact: mrbigh at gmail.com)
    Jan. 2007 - Jim Fell, Peterborough, England PFC40 conversion with 56 x 90ah Thundersky cells named FellUK.
    Apr. 2007 - Chris Ewert, Wheaton, IL - first individual PriusPlus conversion with modified mounting method (contact: chris at infolaunch.com)
    Newest Vehicles
    http://www.autobeyours.com/PHEV.htm - Steves salvaged "imwoody36 special" PHEVs Prii conversion is still a work in progress.

18. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

The last of my parts for the low power control board came in so I finished soldering all the parts on to it. Resistor networks 1, and 2 are out of stock until July so Chris came up with work around for that. Resistor network 8 came in so I finished putting that on the board.

The next thing I really need to do is to start determining where I want to mount all of the parts. Once that is done I can start to make all the cables that connect between the Can-View, Control board, Main battery, Contactors, Thermistors, Fans, and a really good hot cup of tea...Oh sorry that’s the wrong drive. :lol:

Here is the work around for RN1, and RN2. Just normal resistors of the right value one after another.
    [attachmentid=7692]

Here is RN8 in place. It sure looked more exciting when I soldered it.
    [attachmentid=7693]

Here is the completed board. The chips are static sensitive so I'll wait until everything is ready to go before I put them in.
    [attachmentid=7694]

All those white connectors, the blue connector, and the silver connector will have wire coming out of them going all over the place. It kind of feels like when I opened the box of parts from Digi-key and I had to start stuffing the board. “No way†I thought to myself, but now I guess there was one.

Contactors and fuses should be here tomorrow. Yeah! I have a busy weekend ahead so I don’t think I will get to do any projects this weekend. Good night everyone.

Attached Files:

19. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Contactors, fuses, and fuse holders are here just like clockwork. I’m going to head out now and try to get some ABS plastic for mounting these parts. Well, I guess it is down to actually installing this stuff into the car. Although I have still not ordered my batteries or charger yet, I am getting very close to owning a Prius with a plug. :D

20. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I got a piece of ABS 30†x 36†at lunch today for $19.22. It will be used for mounting the fans, contactors, fuses and diode. I then tried to pick up some free old used batteries, the same dimension as the ones I plan to buy, at a recycling center at lunch also, but they did not have any that size. I wanted to start building my battery box to better help me position my electronics. Once I have a set up I’m happy with I will be able to start running cables.

Total so far
    Can-View V4 = $403.00
    Vent parts = $11.04
    Low Power Control Board and parts = $134.65
    High Power parts = 471.93

Sub total = $1020.62