1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My official Prius Plus mods thread.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Cheap!, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Installing the Lilliput GL701-NP/C/T. I ran out of time last night so I did not get any pictures, but that is ok, because my dash is still apart. What I need is some sort of linear actuator that travels two inches the best would be some sort of actuator or motor drive that pushes a rod. I got the screen to fit but if I want to keep my glass door I will need to have an actuator for every thing to work out. I’ll get pictures later, for now here is a crude drawing.

[attachmentid=7943]

Does anyone have any idea where I can get one for very cheap? I mean for Cheap! No, I mean cheap for Cheap! Anyone? Or if you know of something else that would work but I would like to stay away from a pull string. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Mount the Lilliput GL701-NP/C/T for the Can-View

Can you say slight dash disassembly? :eek:

[attachmentid=7951]

I am looking for any advice on parts you can give me. Here are some pictures of what I have so far.
    I had to do a slight alteration so the screen will move freely in and out a few inches. Once I am done with the install there will be stops so it can come out or go in too far, and cable locks.

[attachmentid=7958]

This is how it all fits together when the screen has enough room to open.

[attachmentid=7953]

Here is how things will fit when it is closed. There is enough room in the dash for this.

[attachmentid=7954]

This is how it looks from the back

[attachmentid=7956]

Ok, Priuschat has some of the best Modders that I know of.. Please do any of you have any ideas of what I can build or where I can get parts? I though of a car salvage but the lock actuators on most cars move way too fast. Then I thought of using window actuators but they’re opening range is way too big. That is the same for Antenna actuators. What about head light actuators that lift the headlight? That might be the right track, anyone else have any ideas. I want to do this for $50.00 or less. Maybe an old VCR Ejector? But how? :(

Attached Files:

3. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Next up - Running the cables

[attachmentid=7965]

Yellow box is the Can-View

Red wires are from the OBD2 to the Can-View and to the extra Lilliput screen.

Purple wire is for EV mode and an extra link to a dash button I already have.

Light blue wire is for a ribbon cable from the low voltage control board to a small led light status board.

Light green wire is a ribbon cable from the Can-View to the low voltage control board.

Dark Green wire is for a temporary, or to be added later, Amp meter.

All of these wires including the Can-View will be hidden.

Oh, and then there will be the Carputer too. I'll run those wires later.

Attached Files:

4. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Running the cables

We I went home for lunch and I jacked up the car, flipped the Fumoto valve, removed my back seat, and passenger side front seat. I was able to run the two ribbon cables from the center of the dash to the back of the car. Rain clouds were forming so I quickly put the passenger seat back in and the back seat too. I wasn't able to get the 4 wire cable I needed for the Amp meter at Fry's. I will just run that along the doors with the cabling for the car computer. All seems to ge going well. and I was due for an oil change, so I'm glad that is done.

I am going to install the Lilliput hanging out a little with the glass door open for now. I will install an actuator at a later time. For now I guess I can slide it in and out like a desk drawer.

Next up build the battery box.

5. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Well I guess California is the place I ought to be. See you at the Makers Fair.

Why? Click Here

6. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I made it back to Houston. That was quite a drive. Only about five more days untill the team build starts at the fair. It should be a fun event.

7. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Sister was showing me the in-dash folding screen her husband just had installed in his Chevy truck and it really got me thinking about your install. I had an idea that it would be really cool to put a spring behind the screen and make some sort of latching device that grabs the screen when you push it in, but the next time you push it let's go and springs out... kind of like the sunglasses holder on the roof of the Prius; A much better example would be a click type pen where you click the button and the pen tip comes out, click the button again and the pen tip stays inside. It would be clever if you can pull it off, but it shouldn't be too difficult if you spend some time figuring out the mechanics and workings of a pen. Just my thoughts...

8. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Well I just came across another item I want/need a bumper receptacle. Anyone know where to get one like the one on Felix’s car? Just a few more days to the build. Here is a clip of the build I was able to help with last November.

Video clip

9. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

This is how I hope to place the parts.

[attachmentid=8054]

Attached Files:

10. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I am so psyched that I am going to get to use a Delta-Q Charger. :D In addition, Chris found the bumper plug I needed so I can have extra room in my trunk for an awesome in car computer. I will be able to data log and upload in real time if I an find someone to help me get that done. I need to find a BT keyboard that will fit in the top glove box and I would like it to have a built in touch pad. If not I may have to get a BT mouse too. If anyone has any suggestions on what keyboard I could get please let me know.

I also need to buy a serial port switcher so I can switch between can view and computer, but I think I can find one by Friday.

I will post lots of pictures and I will up date the price of the conversion. This weekend should be a blast doing the conversion let alone all the cool stuff at the Maker's Fair.

Only three more days, then we start.
    Are any Priuschat members going besides me?

11. jrmgkia

jrmgkia Wish I was cycling

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As far as the actuator goes, what about using a model airplane servo? You could visit a hobby shop to see what they have but I think it may fit the bill.

12. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Thanks! That just might work. I might need a bigger one but I just need three inches of play. I think those things can do 180 degrees so I only need one with a 1.5" arm if I can mount it right. I'll see if I can find one tomorrow. This build is coming on fast so I may not be able to get to this until after the build. I think they only cost a few bucks. Also there is a screw back there on the fire wall that I should be able to mount too, and a screw hole on the back of the screen.

That may work out great!

13. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I just got off the phone, and all the parts are there ready to go. All the Anderson connectors came in and even the Charger showed up. B)

Anderson Connectors
    [attachmentid=8121]
    [attachmentid=8122]

Delta Q charger
    Delta-Q Webpage

[attachmentid=8120]

Maker Faire Update:
    Quote from:
    San Francisco Chronicle
    TECH CHRONICLES
    Making a trip to the Maker Faire
    Thursday, May 17, 2007

[An estimated 40,000 people will descend on the San Mateo fairgrounds this weekend to attend the second annual "Maker Faire," a festival that celebrates the do-it-yourself movement. ]...[ pony up the $15 entrance fee...be able to see stuff like:]...[The Kitchen of the Future...Moonshine Powered Motors...The Woz -- Steve Wozniak, inventor of the Apple computer...Swap-O-Rama-Rama Fashion Show...from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday, and 10 to 5 on Sunday]
    -- Al Saracevic

Attached Files:

14. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Today at lunch I signed up with my local electric provider on a program that uses wind energy. For every KW of power I buy, they promise to buy that much wind energy every month. Meaning that once my car is back in Houston, instead of filling with it with just gas; I will be filling it with some gas and some wind energy.

So, my car is not just trading Oil for Coal. Again, this is not a one size fits all solution, but it is a start. One day I hope to provide electricity to my car via my own solar panels, and still far into the future I hope to have a full EV so that I am not buying consumables from anybody.

15. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

It's a PHEV!

I just work at the Maker Faire this weekend and then I caught the red-eye back to Houston. There are many thanks to give out and much information to update. However, for now let me give you this....

[attachmentid=8197]

Amazing (MCS) Mobile Computing Solutions car computer installed. Here is where to get one that fits the Prius.
    [attachmentid=8198]

Charger installed
    [attachmentid=8199]

Plug installed
    [attachmentid=8200]

You would not believe the number of Prius drivers who have never heard of Priuschat.com. Well, they have now..
    Oh, before I forget, the X1 was awesome too. More later.

Attached Files:

16. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ May 16 2007, 12:32 AM) [snapback]443097[/snapback]</div>
    Could you let us know about what and where for the plug, pretty please!

Wayne

17. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also let us know your MPG for the trip home! :D

And more pics! :D :D

18. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

There will be lots more pics and info to come. I'm just about falling asleep at my desk. I have to drink coffee by the gallon just to stay awake.

I just wanted to say the 100 MPG is only for the first 20-30 miles everyday. After that it is just regular 50 or so MPG. However, most commuters only travel 30 miles or less each day so this is not a one-size-fits-all solution, but it is a start. My MPGs on the way home from California should not be any better then normal, but starting next week, my commute to and from work should have great MPG numbers. B)

Thanks to The Force, as my in dash screen looks great!

19. GadgetMan2

GadgetMan2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ May 21 2007, 04:09 PM) [snapback]446869[/snapback]</div>

Figure out how to add this http://www.solarelectricalvehicles.com:80/ , and probably add 5-10 more miles in EV mode. THEN only get 50 mpg :)

20. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Those on-car panels would not work for me as it would just add weight. Besides, I have things here in Houston like parking garages, trees, tall buildings, lots of rainy days, and overpasses. They would never get much sun here. I'll just add some panels to the roof of my house later.