1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My oil change fun

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by TCW1184, Oct 24, 2015.

1. TCW1184

TCW1184 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So my 13' finally was finally in need for its 30k mile oil change, first one out of Toyota care, so I set out to do it this afternoon. Got the specific wrench cap, filter, etc. Didn't get get off to a good start draining the pan. Took a ton of force to get the drain pain bolt to break. Got all the oil drained and turned to the filter cap. Could not for the life of me get the cap off. I even tried a small cheater bar with no luck. Clearly the stupid dealer over torqued everything and I couldn't get that kind of force with the car on ramps. So I was forced to fill up with my new oil and leave the filter. Now I get to have a nice conversation with the service manager at Toyota. Even if they comp me an oil change its still a huge waste of my time. Looks like I'll be skipping the free services for my 15'. I'd rather do it myself and know it was done right.

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After 10k miles, things tend to tighten up a bit. I can't see why a little extra leverage from a cheater bar won't work

3. Whiteyprius

Whiteyprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I say, never worth the trouble, Take to dealer, Quik Oil Change, wherever - That's just my 2 cents :)

4. 348

348 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    The 2nd oil change by the deletr left me with a lose drain plug and oil on my driveway. I will be doing my own from now on. I note they did not ask me to do a f'ing survey!

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    brutal! i would want to watch the dealer remove the filter.

6. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When I changed my oil and filter after expiration of the "Toyota Care", the torques were high but not impossible. That I could almost understand as they are in a hurry and over-torque rather than have a customer come back if the plug loosens and oil starts dripping everywhere.

What I can neither understand nor forgive is that at least 8 of the fasteners that should have been holding the under-cladding on underneath were missing or broken after 35,000 miles of the dealer servicing the car. I had to purchase 10 replacements for the normal size plastic pop rivets and fashion 2 replacements for the missing large-size pop rivets to hold that cladding on securely! That they never replaced the ones they broke and never informed me that I was missing fasteners is completely unacceptable, so from now on I'm doing my own changes.

Say, has anyone replaced that black plastic with something more impervious to damage, such as titanium or stainless steel? I recall a 60s era Citroen had a smooth under-body that certainly LOOKED like it would reduce turbulence and drag underneath the car. Teslas have those now, how about one for the Prius? The only difficulty I see is that if the underbelly covered the catalytic converter, the whole assembly would have insufficient air cooling and get way to hot, possibly melting nearby things.

FYI, the drain and fill plugs for the power-split device were VERY highly torqued. (I may have had to use a hammer on a breaker bar to finally get those plugs loose, methinks..)

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

I've done ALL my oil changes. The drain bolt and oil filter housing would have been torqued in Japan. I had no problems with either, the first time, nor with subsequent times (about 9 or 10 now?). Removal of either takes "moderate" effort. Some time back I got a quality, ratcheting 1/2" drive breaker bar, with a head that can swivel about 10 degrees fore or aft. With smaller bolt sizes I put on a 3/8" adapter. Makes it real easy. But it really sounds like idiots with air wrenches have been doing yours.

8. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The dealer stripped my '09 drain plug on the last oil change. Was dripping on the drive the next morning. So they had to put in a whole new oil pan (yes, they paid for it). Sigh . . .

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe they're using battery powered impact wrenches, not paying attention to torque. All I know: it's dead-easy to get it right, with hand tools and a torque wrench.

Seems like a lot of dealership service depts are in the same league a minute lube. Maybe that's what happens when everyone demands their $24.99 oil change with free tire rotation.

10. TCW1184

TCW1184 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most places around here charge 60-70$ for a synthetic oil change. Even if I didn't like turning wrenches, saving $30+ would have me doing it myself.

11. Silvertn350

Silvertn350 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As someone that has worked in a dealership atmosphere for 10+ years I can honestly say the guys that are changing oil are low hourly payed young guys with a air impact gun and that's why I will always change/ perform my own maintenance. I have seen hundreds (literally) of screw ups . When someone forgets to put oil in a car and blows a motor they simply get fired and hire the next high schooler at $8/hr. But yeah most of those cats put on drain plugs with a 1/2" air impact because it's fast and provides PLENTY of torque . The bad thing about that is they ruin oil pans easily. Most don't bother to change the settings on the gun from doing that last tire rotation so those oil drain plugs are getting hit between 80-100 lbs of torque . Because of the things I have witnessed I will always perform my own services.

Robert Holt likes this.
  12. TCW1184

TCW1184 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A similar wrench is my go to. It normally does the trick but the vertical orientation of the cap makes it hard to wield unless it's in the air.

Crazy. Can't believe the aluminum doesn't strip at that level, well I guess it does as someone a few posts up mentioned. Whether they use air guns will be my first question when I talk to the service manager. While the appears to have been the case, just crazy they would for something that barely needs to be more than hand tight.

13. Silvertn350

Silvertn350 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Asking might make them aware that it is a concern and he might be sure to let the tech know to go easy on it but I would be willing to bet good money he will say of course they don't . Because of issues like that to people paying for oil changes and not even getting getting them , I will always do my own work.

14. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't know if the "nut" that is welded into the back side of the pan to give the plug some purchase is aluminum or something tougher but would be easy to over-torque this with the wrong tool, particularly an impact driver set for a tire rotation as someone else suggested. I also wonder if they always change the crush washer (it is on each invoice) or if they just run that back on too.

I purchased a lifetime oil change contract with the car (basically after 50K they have been free!) so I am sort of stuck with having the dealer do it. The plus, if it is one, was that when they stripped it, they were the only ones ever to touch that plug.

At first they just stuck in an over-sized, self-tapping plug and gave me back the car - and I told them that was unacceptable. I bet after they replace a few oil pans, the profit motive would start to swing the other way . . . but most of the time, they probably deny responsibility.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Robert, again, not having "free" introductory maintenance in Canada, and having been DIY from the outset. I'm the only person who's removed the underpanel on ours. Our previous Civic Hybrid had a similar panel, similar fasteners, and I wised up with it.

I take the whole panel off with each oil change, maybe 10 now. As you know, that's around 10 plastic fasteners (2 a bit bigger than the rest), and maybe 6 small bolts. Everytime I take the plastic fasteners off I sluice them out with hot soapy water. They're all basically like new, I've yet to need to replace any.

Here's the parts numbers, btw. I gather you couldn't find the two larger ones, the ones that go into the "oil change" flap? They're item #5:

Attached Files:

Robert Holt likes this.
  16. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I knew I'd break some of those pins so I bought five extra of the small and three extra of the large and keep them ready. Used one of the large ones on the oil change last week. There is so much grit here they are always hard to get out without breaking them. Patience and a very small flat blade screwdriver did the trick this time. Working around the pin, turning it slightly back and forth, they finally each released. The large one had one of the four expanding "pins" missing. I also used Mendel's method of cleaning them and they sure went back in nicely. ;)

I used the last of my "Toyota 0W20 synthetic" on this change, and yesterday dropped into a nearby dealer to check the price (Canadian Tire wants $50 for a 4.4 l container of Mobil 1). The dealer charges about $27 for a 5 l container, and it's actually Mobil 1 with a Toyota sticker on it. I bought two, and will buy two more next week when I'm in that area, for the FJ Cruiser (5W30). I just about fainted when the parts guy told me how little it cost.

Then I learned they only charge $40 for an oil change including filter! I'm tempted to quit DIY at that price!

You can change the oil filter without changing the oil. In fact, I always do the filter first. So if you couldn't get the filter "can" off you can go back and do it later. It will cost you about 1/2 a litre of oil. I use a 1/2" ratchet, and have never had any trouble getting it off. I tighten the can very little. It isn't going to come off on its own and torque has no effect on the seal as the "o" ring seals on the sides of the can. I also use Lubriplate grease on the "o" ring - thinking it is better than just oil. Don't want that thing binding and folding when I put the can back on.

Finally, my confessional. I use largish ramps, home made of 2X12 fir, about 3 1/2 feet long, with a piece of 2X4 screwed on the top and bottom of the top end of the ramp. They sit on blocks I made up of 2X material screwed together. Very substantial. I was lazy, and lined them up with the car about 3' away. Should have gotten out after pulling forward to the ramps and checked, but instead proceeded onto them. The passenger side wheel fell off the outside of the ramp, near the bottom, and it wasn't very exciting from inside the car. Backed off the ramps and got out to look. The 3 1/2 foot section of 2X12 was shot out about 3' and put a nice crease in the -top- of the plastic "bumper bar" on the nose of the car. How?? Still scratching my head on that one.

Robert Holt likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sounds like there's not much more you can do if your fasteners are getting loaded up with grit in between each oil change. I use one of these a lot:

Capture.JPG

For your situation, it might just help you break them faster tho, lol. Hmm, maybe hit them with a blast from a can of compressed air just before attempting to remove?

Here I'm getting dealership's Toyota 0W20 for $5.91 per liter now. It just went up, was $5.65 since we got the car. Similar price, and yeah: the best deal in town. I posted a pic of the lastest bottle style a while back, and the consensus was it looked a lot like Mobil 1.

Robert Holt likes this.