1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Open EVSE Build Thread

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by trentofdestiny, Nov 1, 2012.

1. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I decided to undertake building an Open EVSE. This thread will show you what I've done so far, tally the cost, allow you (and me) to ask questions, and so on.

I'm getting an Open-EVSE v4 through-hole board made, but it comes in a 3-pack. I will have 2 extra ones available (they cost $15 each plus shipping). Also, picked up a relay, enclosure, and (2) 12V pilot lights today (see pic). Cost? $42.

The boards will be $45 for 3, which means 1 will be $15. I will be getting a Leviton charge cable 25' and plug for ~$135.

The components to solder on the board cost ~$60. I will see tomorrow if they can be obtained around here more cheaply.

Attached Files:

Tracksyde and bisco like this.
  2. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351865185.768817.jpg

Just picked up my "power supply" at the computer store for $10. I would have used one I already had, but didn't have any extra (ie, not tied to a device already). Why pay $30 and have to build it yourself? Lol. I'm debating on whether to install it as-is or take the board out of the unit.

3. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just received the Leviton 30A EVSE cable/plug combo. Here are my observations:
    1) The 30A-rated cable is VERY thick and heavy, as you can see in the photo below. Look where the white Leviton is laid next to the blue Toyota EVSE. If you're building only for PiP, the 15A-rated cable is the way to go.
    2) I plugged it into my PiP and the fit is very tight. It is difficult to remove from the car. I'm not sure where it's too tight, but I might try some fine sandpaper to loosen the fit.
    3) If you look at the close-up photo, note the thin foam o-ring. This doesn't seem very durable.
    4) The reverse side of the EVSE has a twelve screws. Not the most attractive.
    5) It feels solid and well-constructed.

As long as I can solve the fit issue, I'll use it. Compared to everything else out there, the value is unbeatable, and from what I've heard of other cable/plugs that do-it-yourselfer's have bought, this one's probably the best.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey thanks for the info! I may try to find a different source for the plug and/or cable. Possibly eBay or if I can get ahold of an OEM unit that died.

5. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I edited my post. The Leviton isn't bad, as long as I can correct the fit and loosen it a little.

I checked your profile to see if you're nearby... but you're in Harrisburg! I grew up there. My mother still lives there. Small world.

6. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, I just had (3) thruhole V4 boards fabricated by OshPark as well, and bought 3 sets of components for them from DigiKey.
    Also ordered AdaFruit RGB LCD displays for them, 30A DPST relay, GFCI coil and 12V power supplies (actually bought 5 supplies so I have 2 extra availble)

I'm building an OpenEVSE for a member of the forum, without the case, J-1772 cable and AC input wiring.
    The 2nd one is a spare for myself to work on the current monitoring firmware.
    I'll have the third one availble if anyone is interested, send me a PM
    Not trying to hijack your thread, just going to have 1 availble all built and tested availble.
    Will probably be another week before I can get these together, all parts not in yet
    (Jameco shipped me the wrong power supplies, OshPark PCBs in the US mail as well as the AdaFruit RGB LCD displays)

Great minds think alike :)

7. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Cool. I wish I had just waited and bought a pre made unit but oh well. It will be fun I guess lol. Is it necessary to program the unit you build yourself? With the USB to FTDI cable?

Yup, Harrisburg. I actually saw a silver Plug In Advanced at the church/school where I was working. I wasn't aware there was another in the area!

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suppose when pip's start hitting the recycling yards, evse's will become available on ebay or wherever.

9. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    my god that is hideous. and huge!

10. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have seen a couple on eBay but they were functional.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's okay, if the price is right.:)

12. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes you need the 6 pin programmer, the PCB also need a jumper added between the RST pin on the 6 pin programming header and the RST line on the Atmel (won't program without it in place)

13. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    $5-600 for a 120V Toyota OE unit? Nah.

Oh I almost forgot! Can I modify the OE unit for 240V?

14. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's no bigger than any 30A, 240V EVSE. But a Prius can't take advantage of 30A.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you know what you're doing. that's what peef does for a couple hundred bucks. you send him your 120v evse, and he sends it back equipped for 240v or 120v with plug adapter.

16. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thought so, but I can't find out exactly what to replace with something rated for 240V. It would be nice to have two dual voltage chargers 0:)

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have not heard of anyone but peef doing it themselves. he built his own phev, seems to be head and shoulders above most everyone.

trentofdestiny likes this.
  18. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Looks like I'm going to have some extra components (from the circuit board) left as well, because of the quantity some of them have to be purchased...

19. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here's what my night consisted of:
    IMG_0025.jpg

I managed to get the board 99% completed. Couldn't find any 320 ohm resistors in stock so I had to order another 330 ohm (they are 5% tolerance which is plus or minus 16.5 ohms). Also I forgot the HV resistors (28k ohm) so the board will be out of the housing for a few more days. I did get the cord in/outputs mostly set up though:
    IMG_0026.jpg IMG_0027.jpg

Tracksyde likes this.
  20. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    looking nice:)