1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Openevse build...

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Jimbo69ny, Sep 21, 2012.

1. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need to get together with Chris and get the new dual EVSE board and build a 70A/30A version based on mitch672 's parts list.

2. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think it's a dual EVSE board he's working on, it's a fully integrated version, with the advanced power supply integrated with the OpenEVSE on a single PCB. I am finishing up my 75A OpenEVSE now, there is plenty of room in the enclosure to add a 2nd lower power EVSE, but it's going to require its own OpenEVSE, display and relay.. I'm feeding it with a 100A breaker, so you will have to manually adjust each EVSE so it's not possible to draw over 80A in total. There is nothing automatic yet, and they don't talk to each other yet, but it's certainly possible by connecting them together with the I2C buss and custom software

3. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been speaking with him. He is making a dual unit and it is going to have a built in power supply. I am going to be the first one to own them. He was testing them last weekend and last I heard from him, testing was going great. Hopefully ill have them within the week. (He didn't say that, I'm guessing)

I'm on my cell phone right now so I can't check but there was a thread on mnl that he started. He talked about building a dual unit that automatically adjusted the amperage going to each unit based on the cars need/capability. I'm not sure if this new board will have that feature. I didn't ask becase I don't mind capping them at 28 or 30 amps each.

UPDATE: just got to a computer and here is his thread talking about current sharing on mnl.
    My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - Experiment EVSE X 4

UPDATE 2: The boards are not dual evse like I thought. When he told me they were combo boards I thought that meant that there was 2 evses and power supplies on one board. I was wrong. But at least I only to make room for 2 boards instead of 4 for my dual evse's.

John Hatchett likes this.
  4. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Jimbo, thought I'd show you my 75A OpenEVSE, the NEMA enclosure I used is gigantic (12" X 16"), I had to go big to get one that could accomadate the 75A SquareD contactor which is 4.5" in height. the first 13-14 pictures show the 75A version. The 14-50 is a temporary connection until I have time to run the PVC and 3AWG wire to the 100A breaker, not important untl the Tesla Model S arrives, really.

OpenEVSE pictures by mitch672 - Photobucket

[​IMG]

Tracksyde likes this.
  5. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks good. Did you use the openevse board from your old evse or did you order another one?

6. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I used an Arduiono I had, plus the OpenEVSE shield I had, which is my test setup for testing new releases of the OpenEVSE code, I'm waiting for Chris to release the new integrated OpenEVSE for the permanent install, this is temporary and works for now, but it's not ideal and occasionally flakes out, it's not really designed to be used in an actual live install, but it mostly works. Seems my bigger issue is voltage spikes from the giant contactor engaging...

7. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    add some capacitors maybe?

8. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Ye, the question is: where

I have the LCD displays I2C clock and data lines on 18" of unshielded wire, probably need to use a piece of shielded wire on that and ground the shield. I already had to ground the giant aluminum plate the LCD display and select switch are mounted to, as it was picking up static electricity and causing havoc with the Arduino.. This will probably wait until I get the actual OpenEVSE board to get done, I'm using it to charge the PiP and don't want to take it apart more than needed.

9. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Jimbo, that threads pretty old, and it was a conceptual idea that could be done, but I don't think anyone has written any code to support the current sharing concept with multiple OpenEVSE boards - yet. Just an FYI, more work needs to be done, even when the hardware is available. I'd be thrilled to try it, I have the space to make my 75A OpenEVSE a dual unit, and it will be fed with a 100A breaker, so it could be tried.. when the code exists, for now you would need to manually set each one so the total doesn't exceed %80 of the total amperage available.

10. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I emailed him about 5 days ago asking if my units would include this and I havent heard back yet. I will post when I know more.
    Either way, Im not too worried about it. I dont mind setting the limits manually.

11. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A multi-plug, amperage sharing, EVSE needs to become available for the home garage with multiple EVs but more importabtly to bring an affordable solution to workplace charging. Having a mix of plug-ins at the workplace able to intelligently share a single 200A supply/meter will accelerate the availability of workplace charging. Just imagine a row of 20 parking spaces, each with J1772 plugs and everyone getting their max charge rates off of one 200A panel.

One or two of them might be designated for 75A service, the bulk at 30A, and a few current monitored 50A RV outlets for Teslas.

12. DLee

DLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You will need a varistor directly across the contactor coil. That will absorb the energy built up in the coil when the microcontroller drops the coil.

13. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, any idea of the value or a DigiKey part # (even better)

14. DLee

DLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  15. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  16. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great thread..

I have some students looking at multi EVSe as a project (first we have to get campus on board), because the real cost for install with will be running the new power service -- and we want to maximize the number of cars we can handel, even if they get down to only 2Kwh each.. We looked at the old thread and are going back and forth between this type of design and a bluetooth communication channel between independent openEVSEs. We want to look at bluetooth for other reasons (to allow mananging who is charging etc). Love to hear more from those who have already build them what is their view.. a stack or independent uints that talk to each other?

17. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Get ahead of the curve and go with powerline communications, P1901. IEEE 1901 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can add an off the shelf homeplug<->wifi bridge for your wireless connectivity to smartphones as well as bridge to an intra/internet connection.

I found that chargepoint has published their networking protocol as well, so using their network to check EVSE status would be a bonus if openEVSE talked chargepoint.

I am starting to lean toward standalone openEVSEs on a shared circuit talking to each other and to a TED 5000 monitoring the total load on the circuit. If the individual openEVSEs could log to the TED through the PLC protocol, that would be a plus.

Be sure to include provisions for monitoring a couple of raw RV outlets (Tesla) on the circuit, another way to leverage the TED 5000 perhaps.

I might have a sponsor for your class project. Austin Energy is thinking about adding a charging solution for the long term parking lot at the airport, maybe shared with the adjacent employee parking lot.

18. nickfromny

nickfromny Member since 2007

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can I get you out to our Ski Club to wire some baseboard heaters? Nice work!

19. DLee

DLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    What problem is the electrical noise causing? If it is hang up or reset of the microcontorller, you might try making the 1 mFd +5V supply capacitor as close to the micr as possible. ANd terminate unused microcontroller I/O. Or at least make sure they are set to outputs in the start routine. You can also contorl register watchdog routines in the program loop.

20. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Just thought Id let you all know that my j1772's came in and Chris has sent my boards. With any luck, Ill have them all hooked up and working by mid week.

John Hatchett likes this.