1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My other car got rear ended: damaged hatch door, bumper, quarter panel, bike

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 2009Prius, Sep 5, 2011.

1. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The only comforting thing: at least it wasn't my Prius. Here is the story:

Coming back from a camping trip on the highway I saw the traffic slowing down in front. "No problem" I thought since I kept at least 20 car lengths of buffer space in front so there was plenty of time to slow down. I gradually took my foot off the accelerator. Then a loud bam someone hit my poor 2003 Ody from behind and shot off to the grassy medium. He must have been going really fast to be able to catch up with me on the grass after the impact.

Now the left rear quarter panel (where the fuel door is) is all wrinkled and folded up, the left rear bumper cover with the mud flap was torn and had to be cut away by the wrecker, the metal structure inside the bumper cover seems bent, and the hatch door has a huge dent and leaves a gap on the left and the left bottom when closed. One of our bikes hanging on the bike rack was damaged too.

I am going to call the insurance agent tomorrow. I hope this won't be a total. The car still drives fine. What should I pay attention to when dealing with the insurance? I heard stories that insurance companies tend to use cheap body shops. True? Will the insurance cover the bike?

2. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry about the accident.

You say that you gradually took your foot off the accelerator but make no mention of pressing the brakes. Please tell me that you hit the brakes as well - even a couple of taps - if not the guy behind you had limited visibility of the road ahead and might not have been able to see the traffic ahead as you were in a minivan likely with tinted windows - the bikes would have further blocked the view - my bikes are a touch wider than my wife's van.

As for the repairs - find out what your rights are in your state - it is not listed in your profile - you very well might the right to pick the repair shop. If you are hoping that the car is not totaled find out the value of the car and get an idea of repairs - if the numbers are close be prepared to be your own advocate and put up a fight.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would contend that any road zombie who slams into the rear end of a car slowing naturally and gradually, without brakes and brake lights, is in no position to claim the lack of brake lights was a contributor to the crash. Braking will flash the lights, but will also reduce the available reaction time -- which is already very high when following at a legal distance in this situation-- and increase the collision speed differential.

4. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I was probably braking lightly but can't remember for sure. I agree that with or without brake light it won't make much a difference if the guy didn't keep a safe following distance. The police told me that people witnessed the guy swerving and not slowing down and he did get a citation from the police for reckless driving.

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That makes him 100% at fault, unless you live in a no-fault state.

Unless the damage to the Odyssey is minor, it is probably totaled. They should cover the bike, but will try to give you fair value/depreciation, not enough to buy a new one usually.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Fault doesn't depend on whether or not a citation is issued or whether or not it is beaten in Municipal Court. No fault insurance means that the damages are settled "promptly" by your own insurance company as opposed to having to wait for a verdict & collecting from the at fault driver.