1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Ottonavi experience...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by unreal, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Pequeajim

Pequeajim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Here are some pictures of what [was shipped to me.

Can anyone identify which cables are the JBL compatible ones?

I've included pics of the back of both radios for reference.

Attached Files:

2. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You'll use everything except one harness is for non JBL. Look at Dylan's photo instructions on page 3 of this thread, first pic shows the harnesses, you'll use the one for JBL equipped cars. Oh, and you'll find a few plugs that went into the old unit won't be used with the OttoNavi.

3. Pequeajim

Pequeajim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ok, thanks. I will check them out. Don't know how I missed them. The one thing I do realize. This is snot a 30 minute install like I read on here somewhere.

Ether way, everyone on here is helpful, and I am sure I will get the help I need, thanks.

4. Pequeajim

Pequeajim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks dylanjones for the great information.

I have the JBL audio and am wondering if anyone with JBL did the install? If so, did you use the supplied cable, because I noticed that Dylan did not?

5. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, I have JBL, you use the first cable in your picture, the one with a single connector at each end. The second cable that has two connectors on one end is for non JBL systems.

6. offroader

offroader Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Use Cable E on your photos for JBL

7. Pequeajim

Pequeajim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Prius - Ottonavi Cables.jpg Prius - Prius Cables 2.jpg Prius - Cable Connected.jpg Prius - Ottonavi Cables.jpg Prius - Prius Cables 2.jpg Ok, I know I am being dumb, but with no install instructions at all for a JBL radio, I am a little befuddled with this? What makes me thing I am missing some instructions, or am a little stupid is that nobody else on here is wondering what to do with the couple of loose cables? Please be patient with me?

I have included a couple of pics of the cables that I pulled from my JBL radio. If you look at the first and second pictures; if I use the JBL harness included (P1-E), plugged into cable (P2-A), and one of the cables included, (P1-F), plugged into cable (P2-C), plus the cable that has the RCA connectors, (only for my BU Cam), then where do cables P2-B and P2-D go?

So did you JBL guys use the mystery connector?

Also, I am still pondering over the blue connector, another audio connector, for bass maybe?

Sorry about the picture goof up...

8. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a life time XM subscription on my current JBL unit. Is there any way I can connect this unit to the XM unit under the seat?

9. Pequeajim

Pequeajim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can anyone answer my question?

10. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    They go nowhere...
    If I remember correctly, D is the XM antenna; this version of Ottonavi doesn't support XM.
    B is the stock factory mike; cannot use it either because it's a dynamic one. You have to use the external mike from Ottonavi.

11. Pequeajim

Pequeajim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks Bulle. So it appears that I will not use both B and D. I will stream Pandora and Tune Me In radio, no need for XM. I'll just hook it back up when I sell or trade the car in later.

I thought maybe that it was for the mike, and maybe the steering wheel controls.

12. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Steering wheel controls are on C I believe. It will work. No stress.

13. PanzerFreak

PanzerFreak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One question I do have about this unit is can music and videos be played directly off of an SD card? With the low prices of SD cards it would be great to always have my entire music collection in the car.

Thanks!

14. JohnCleary

JohnCleary Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I leave a iPod plugged in all the time for music and listen to audio books from my phone via Bluetooth. Haven't tried to listen to audio from SD card or USB drive but I'm sure you can.

15. Pequeajim

Pequeajim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a large USB drive that I am going to try with the USB connectors. They'll end up in my bottom glove box. I would guess you could use a USB stick, or a portable drive. I don't know how large a drive will work since the larger/faster ones draw more power, and I am not sure the max that the port will support. Plus; since the SD Card needs to be formatted as FAT, is this also true for the USB ports? That would limit the amount of storage.

16. Pequeajim

Pequeajim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Got the unit installed. Took some advice from you guys on how to modify the fitment. Phone pairs easily, and my wife could hear me very clearly. Navigation works great, however, it took a while out in an open area for the satellites to lock. One BIG problem I have is there is no sound coming from the unit, radio, or nav unit? Believe I connected the JBL harness correctly, it plugged into the only pcable that it could possibly connect to. I checked the following:

- Speaker wires
    - Mute is not on
    - Volume is up, in fact I turned it up quite high, like 50+ and zero sound. Turned it back down.

Any suggestions?

Edit: One thing I remember is that I did not take the screws out of the top. Someone said that the unit will not accept CDs if these are not removed. Would this also disable the sound somehow? I remembered it after I installed the unit, and since I am going to install the rear cam next weekend, I thought I would live with it for a week.

Attached Files:

17. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    For CDs,DVDs to work, yes, you needo remove these 2 screws.

For JBL to work, you need to enable the External Amp in the DVD hidden menu.

HIDDEN MENU
    There is a hidden menu at the DVD screen that will let you adjust some global parameters. Go to the DVD screen and press the Tune knob.
    There will be a scale at the bottom of the screen that says *BRIGHTNESS*.
    You can adjust the overall brightness of the unit by turning the Tune knob.
    If you press the Tune knob again, the next parameter will show up.
    This is for MCU version 9.02: other versions might have a different menu.
    So the parameters you can adjust are:
    BRIGHTNESS
    CONTRAST
    SATURATION
    EAMP (this is used to turn off or on an External Amp like JBL)
    DUALZONE
    (excerpt from from the FAQ: Ottonavi HU: How to customize (a bit) the UI | PriusChat )

18. Pequeajim

Pequeajim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks Bulle, that worked perfectly!

I will wait to play any DVDs until I take the unit out to do the camera install. I noticed that the steering wheel controls do not work, (volume, etc). I will check through the customize thread that you pointed me to for this setting.

I also want to check my version, and upgrade to start with the right base before experimenting. Do you keep a second SD card around for this purpose? Also , did you format it in the unit as I read somewhere thatit needs to be FAT.

Finally, the unit's audio sounds reallu good. I have not tried BT streaming yet, but do that later tonight along with trying .mp3s from a USB stick.

19. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Hi Pequeajim,

glad it worked.
    Steering wheel controls not working? That's weird. There's nothing to do except plugging the cable.
    Next time you open, check your connection and make sure they are pushed all the way in.

First thing you should do now is a backup of your SD card.
    Also do a backup of \StaticStore and \Nand Flash; contains the GUI and some GPS files you may need later.
    Use TotalCommander or the file explorer.

I do keep several SD cards around; mostly for different videos and mp3s set.
    I format them as FAT32 (16G); Windows CE in the unit can read them.
    FAT is when you want to install a new logo; the firmware only supports FAT.
    But another poster says FAT32 will work also but on a 4G card (makes sense if they are aligned the same...).

For USBs, that will depend a lot on the brand. Streaming for USB could be choppy depending on the device.
    Some of them are slow... But they will work.

BT audio streaming works well; although it's easier to switch songs on your phone than the unit...

20. Pequeajim

Pequeajim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bule, how are you setting up for BT audio streaming. I paired my phone and it is better quality than the stock. I put the mic in between the steering column and the console.