1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Ottonavi experience...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by unreal, Aug 20, 2011.

1. r3dl4b3l

r3dl4b3l Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    non JBL and that might of been the difference.

2. offroader

offroader Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the input! Does anyone else here with one of these HU have a JBL system and have any problems with sound quality or any other problems?

3. sprtent

sprtent Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's my experience after almost 4 months of owning the unit.

I decided to go with this unit for the clean OEM dash look, a complete package, steering controls without adding weird looking adapters onto the steering wheel, and the later resale value of the car.

Things I don't like about the unit:
    1) Sound quality. After updating all 4 speakers to Infinity Reference (6x9 front, 6.5 rear) the sound does improve a bit, but still quite sur par. I actually like the sound of the upgraded speakers with the OEM non-JBL unit better. I wish the unit does come with more available way for EQ control, bass booster, different sound mode for different type of music, etc. As of right now I can control bass, mid, and trebe.... and that's it.
    2) Nav voice. Volume is low, but I turn it off anyway because I don't like voice promts interrupting my music.

I would say I do like the unit. It would be perfect if sound quality is better, and comes with Garmin with lifetime traffic updates :) Maybe people with JBL system will have better sound experience than I do.

4. kknguyen1168

kknguyen1168 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sprtent

I have JBL system w/o NAV, plan to upgrade the Infinity Reference like you this weekend, after that I plan to install the OTTONAVI next weekend, just heard so much BAD thing about this product and I am confuse, don't know want to keep it or send it back, still debating:), how did you get GARMIN worked with this unit? please tell us in detail.

V/r

Khoi Nguyen

5. r3dl4b3l

r3dl4b3l Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think that the SQ is better than the stock unit. The voice prompts are louder if you can find the TTS or newer natural voice.

I'm going to experiment a few things such as:

swapping out the voice files and keeping the same files that shipped with the unit

use the downloaded version I got from gps underground with the included voice files from there

Download Garmin XT for windows ce

sprtent likes this.
  6. sprtent

sprtent Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Khoi,

I have not got Garmin to work in my unit. I said it was nicer if Garmin comes with it :)

I don't know what to advise you with. Seem like you already has it or already ordered. But I would say this though, your user experience should get better as you go after all the settings and/or mods/hacks you can do to this unit, like r3dl4b3l is doing and all the customizing things other genius members are coming up with in other threads.

7. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Follow the threads; many people bought this unit and are really happy with it. I'm one of them.
    May be his unit is faulty...
    Or may be it has not been installed or setup properly... Possible.
    Just because one person has problems doesn't mean all the units are bad...
    Ottonavi (Roadrover) is one of the most popular and supported unit in the world.
    And afaik only the Ottonavi supports direct JBL sound connection.
    If you are looking for an OEM look, then imo Ottonavi is probably the best unit right now for Prius.

8. kknguyen1168

kknguyen1168 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    hi

I just received my unit today:), did not even to open it yet!! :), I would do it but I am looking for someone in San Diego help me to do it, prefer one already did it with JBL system, Do not have a problem to pay or 1 hell a good dinner :), please let me know anyone willing to help :)

V/r

Khoi Nguyen
    858-699-7604

9. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Bulle is right, I may have gotten a faulty unit or bad harness, Anyways, I contacted Ottonavi today, and they are sending me a brand new replacement one. Hopefully, everything will work accordingly.

Regardless, the nav is still for sale as I already ordered my Kenwood and gonna give aftermarket nav a try :p

the install is pretty straighforward, there's a diy on page 3, with pictures, diagrams and written instructions :)

With jbl, you just use a different harness that's all :)

#149 ucsmfu, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2018
  10. r3dl4b3l

r3dl4b3l Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The HU install is pretty straight forward. Get pry tools if you can they help A LOT. I got some from harbor freights for $6. I'm sure your local hardware store will carry them as well. If you really take your time like I did, I'd say an hour max on just the HU install.

Rear camera install is another matter. This took most of my time on Saturday. 7am-11am then a break and back at it again from 130pm to 330pm. Most of the time was spent taking apart the interior and trim and I really took my time doing this. The photos and instructions on this thread were invaluable! Just follow them and you'll be fine.

11. kknguyen1168

kknguyen1168 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ucsmfu, r3dl4b3l

ok, I will a try next weekend, this week I am going to do a speaker upgrade first if I have time I will the Ottonav unit just for the HU, the backup camera will be another rainy day:), will take my time. Ucsmfu please let us know how the new unit come out ok please, hope you are going happy with it, if not well.......

V/r

Khoi nguyen

12. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Got mine today! Came with a generic camera, so I'll need to figure out the best way to mount that. Also got the wireless transmitter so I'll let you all know how that works out!

13. rgatt1

rgatt1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all! I'm brand new to this forum...just bought a 2011 Prius II, and I need your help.

1. How would I know if I have a JBL system or not? I'm pretty sure I don't, but just wanted to make sure...
    2. I'm thinking that I want to upgrade my HU to this ottonavi but I don't want to install the backup camera, I just have no Need for it...is it OK to install the ottonavi, and not do the backup camera? Is there anything I need to do differently during install if I don't want the camera?
    3. This install won't affect the battery or MPG of the vehicle right?
    4. Any other tips that I need to know? I'm just so new to the Prius game, I'm a complete amateur with all the terminology...

14. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    1.) check the speakers on the side of the door, if you have JBL it'll have a JBL logo on the speaker

2.) yes it's ok to install ottonavi without the backup camera, it'll be a quicker and easier install without the camera

3.) the install will not affect MPG

3.) read page 3 for DIY on how to install the system, it has full pics, instructions and tips too.

welcome to Priuschat !!

15. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    btw, i'm selling my fairly new Ottonavi HU for $500 shipped, let me know if anyone is interested :)

16. JohnCleary

JohnCleary Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How do I edit the phone book?
    I have been unable to sync individuality numbers but I have no problem syncing the entire phone book.

17. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    its synced automatically once you connect your phone to bluetooth, both android and iphone works the same way :)

18. JohnCleary

JohnCleary Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes I have synced my phone to the ottonavi, now how do I get rid of the phone numbers that I don't want on the ottonavi?

19. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    you can edit and delete directly on the navigation system

20. JohnCleary

JohnCleary Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Forgive me but I cant find an edit button

Edit: Looks like the problem was the skin i was using. I've changed to the default skin and now can edit the phonebook :)