1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My P0A080 fault code and battery rebuild

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by fotomoto, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Abdulaziz_Barham

Abdulaziz_Barham Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Why it is must to do so ?
    and I am in JORDAN - AMMAN how i can get it ??
    maybe i can help you to sell it here to !!

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I used the prolong grid charger to balance the repaired pack. Prolong Battery Systems FAQ – Hybrid Automotive I also use it to charge the pack each month.

For individual module charging outside the pack, see my previous link in post #16. They show how to use commonly available (cheap) hobby chargers used by toy remote control community. I have no advice on these.

3. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the kind words :). We regularly ship our products all over the world, they are universal AC compatible and so will work in all countries. We can certainly ship to you as well. If you have a retail shop and would like to install our systems, we have a wholesale program as well. You can read more info here:
    https://hybridautomotive.com/pro

4. Abdulaziz_Barham

Abdulaziz_Barham Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    how we can manage it ?

Do you have a Whattsapp Number ?

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    5 month update: picked up another volt at peak charge. Battery no longer loses a bar or two when car sits for several days. Cooler weather may be helping with that.
    IMG_5099.jpeg

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    6 month update means it's time for the bi-annual conditioning process. This 3 step process of charging/discharging takes me 3 days. The good news is I saved my readings from the first time back in July so I could compare.

I picked up another volt in the charging/balancing phase. Originally was 233v.

IMG_2332.JPG

IMG_2336 2.JPG

With monthly balance charging, the discharge phase with the lightbulb setup showed improvements across the board from July.

July/Dec discharge rate readings

Beginning: 235v ---- 239v
    :30min 223v ---- 226v
    :60min 218v ---- 221v
    :90min 213v ---- 217v
    120min 209v ---- 211v
    150min 201v ---- 205v

Final discharge down to 17v took about 8 hours (dual 25watt bulbs look off after about 30v).....

IMG_2335.JPG

Well I'm really glad to see an improvement.(y)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Correction: This morning's value of the final (3rd) balance charge of this reconditioning has risen to 240v which, according to the prolong site, is about as good as it will get. :) Hopefully that will translate into more power and stamina.

IMG_2337.JPG.jpeg

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    8 month update. Balancing charging each month since the reconditioning process back in month 6 is consistently topping out at 240v. Car is running perfectly despite sitting outside unused for days at a time (I know, I know....).

IMG_2430.JPG.jpeg

jeff652 and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    9 months update. All systems A-OK. Car is getting a little more use now that junior is beginning to drive. :eek:

IMG_2463.JPG.jpeg

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have to try and remember this thread when people ask about rebuilding options, it never comes up in a search. it is concise and to the point.

rayluo and m.wynn like this.
  11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Almost exactly a year after the last repair, the original pack had a third failure. Block 3, originally in the middle, threw a code after the car sat unused for nearly 3 weeks in the summer heat due to both primary drivers being away.

During the repair and ensuing balancing/reconditioning,

IMG_2700.JPG
    I decided to move forward with getting a NEW battery as I first outlined in post #1:
    So I contact Matt at Texas Hybrid Batteries to get the ball rolling and set up an appointment. After this latest repair, I let another family member drive it to keep it in use but about two weeks later and the day before I was to travel to Matt's to get the new battery, I got more warnings.
    IMG_2717.JPG

I cleared the codes and at Matt's recommendations did a couple of force charge/drains to stress it and see if they would return. They didn't so I did a final balance charge via the grid charger that night before I drove it to Matt's location 400+ miles away. Gratefully, other than the battery draining very fast at a drive thru when I stopped for lunch, the trip was uneventful.

Matt, who says he's now very busy with both Gen 2 and Gen 3 replacements, did a quick and professional job of switching the packs. What new pack looks like inside:

IMG_2723 3.JPG
    All modules manufactured in April 2017 so no NOS (new, old stock) stuff here! (y)

While he was at it, Matt checked and decided to clean the MAF and throttle body as part of the service. Even with only 50k miles, this 06 benefited with smoother running.

IMG_2726 2.JPG
    Plus with more power from the new pack, the car also accelerates with less effort and smoother. At a legal 85mph, I blew by a Tesla on TX 130 in the Austin area on the return trip home! :LOL:

Hopefully this should be the final update for this thread. :)

#31 fotomoto, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  12. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How did you connect the charger to the battery pack?
    Series or parallel configuration?
    Was it any of the configurations that you used throughout your project, since you said you've never tried the cycles using hobby chargers.

Thanks

13. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  14. priusrecon

priusrecon Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How did you load test it?

I did the same thing you are describing here, yet I got no differences in the module voltage drops (within 0.1 to 0.3 volts of each other at the most) on any of the modules, even after running the headlight on them for a uniform fixed amount of time. There was no obvious difference, at least not one detectable without special diagnostic gear?...

------------------------------------------------------

#34 priusrecon, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    As shown in the OP, headlight bulb test for 60 secs but it just confirmed the basic voltage test readings. IOW, that module was very bad.

16. priusrecon

priusrecon Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well then, there goes the module replacement idea, since all of them test fine according to the load tests. Fault must be somewhere else in the battery system then. Time for a whole new battery.

17. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The HV ECU will tell you exactly what module pair (which of 14 pairs) the fault was logged in. No need to guess or load step. That's the one the car has a problem with. What are your DTC's?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A one or two minute load test is not the ideal way to locate weak modules. Weak modules have low capacity. They check out fine for voltage drop for one or two minutes of testing compared to their stronger neighbors. You really need to run capacity checks to weed out the weak(er) modules and to do that you need to drain the module to 6.5V for example and log the time it takes to go from fully charged to 6.5V. This can vary between 18 minutes for a weak module and 45 minutes for a strong one with a 55 watt halogen bulb with the high and low beam filaments connected. I wish I had taken videos of this when I did my pack repair. You can see the headlight getting dimmer as the voltage decreases, particularly once the voltage drops to 7V and below - the halogen bulb is noticeably dimmer at that voltage.

When I did my capacity tests, I saw a considerable amount of variation among the 28 modules I tested. I did this 18 months ago and cannot remember exact values but do recall that the weakest module had 2.8 amp hours capacity (by my crude calculation) and the strongest had 6.4 amp hours. Deep discharging can restore some of the capacity in weaker modules but that requires oodles of time with RC chargers and willingness to risk killing a module or three due to cell reversal. Pack level chargers and intelligent dischargers permit quick recovery of capacity but as fotomoto pointed out modules will continue to die even when this type of equipment is used "religiously" - LOL. The main cause of these deaths is self discharge which to my knowledge cannot be improved with rejuventation techniques.

j12piprius likes this.
  19. priusrecon

priusrecon Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    18 to 45 minutes per module is too long, and much longer than the OP described. Guess that's why you need special equipment and why I can't do it with my bad back and limited time.

As far as the HV ECU eventually telling me which modules are bad, that's not what the service tech told me. He said that on my car (Gen II) that info isn't reported by the computer. I've gone round and round with the guys there at the dealership on this point but they are sticking to their story. Perhaps I can't find the right questions to either pry or trick the truth out of them?....

He did say this - sometimes the faults will not occur until the battery becomes heated by the action of driving the car and working out the hybrid system.

So it looks like buying a new batt and flushing the whole problem once and for all.

20. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your dealership is either crooked or incompetent. All the information is stored in the ECU until cleared. The Gen2 will tell you exactly what the problem is. The DTC will decode to something like "Battery Block 10 weak" and that narrows it down to 1 of 2 modules out of the 28 originals. If the car through a code, the information is there. The car may throw more codes the hotter the pack is, but that is just more symptoms of what you already know, a bad battery pack.

Raytheeagle likes this.