1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

my poor prius =( accident

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tlaine, Jul 18, 2008.

1. tlaine

tlaine New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Wow, I never realized how bad my Prius withdrawls would be, but it's pretty bad. I'm so sick over this whole situation. Our car was "stolen" from us because the other guy was careless enough to obviously not look both ways before crossing the road to make sure no one was coming.

So far the other guys insurance company offer is 30,300, and that is basing the car on the wrong milage that was written on the oil change sticker which was wrong to begin with (34k miles). We had our 15k mile check up just last month. Well I told her that they had the milage estimated wrong, and she explained that they were only using that cause they couldnt turn the car on etc. Well anyways she's supposed to be adjusting it to the right mileage which is approx 17,680 miles. I've yet to hear another number though. But anyways, the figure she gave, is enough to pay off the loan amount with approx 2k left over.

We went to see our salesman to get an idea of how much a new one would cost just like the one we had, but they are only taking orders for '09's. And the rough estimate that I've come up with, taking into account the price increase and taxes and all the extra warranties we would get (just like we had) it would cost us around 6000 more for a new car vs. what we paid for our first one. I'm so heartbroken.

I did just hear from her, the next number is about 1k more than before.

Anyways I had a few questions about the extended "platinum extra care" warranty we purchased with the car. Does anyone know how we should go about seeing if we can "cancel" that or cash it back in since it's obviously not going to get used now. ? I called Toyota financial but she said that the insurance company when they pay the car in full we need to go to the dealership to do all that. But wouldnt that be too late? Once the insurance company pays for the car, I'm sure they are going to want us to sign it over to them, wouldnt that mean that any refund on that would go to them? And the lady from Toyota Financial said that we'd only get a "percentage" back on that warranty... even though our car hadnt even hit 36k miles yet?

Hoping some of you guru's can help guide me in the right direction, I have no idea what to do, seems in regards to the warranty questions the dealership and toyota financial are sending me in circles.

Thanks for anything yall can give me.

2. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sorry for your trouble, that really sucks :-(

Hope they can get you all sorted out quick. Last I heard the '09s are supposed to start arriving in August, so hopefully you won't have too much longer to wait. I would try and get the full estimate from the dealer down on paper and send it to the insurance company along with documentation to show that its exactly what you had before. Seems like this guy really owes you a new Prius.

Rob

3. sleonardelli

sleonardelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Maybe he didn't hear the horn or it startled him to the point he hit the gas instead of the brake. I just had the same thing almost happen to me today. I turned left on the green arrow and another car turned right onto the same road. Okay, 2 lanes so I let him have the right lane while I took the left. We'll this guy decided he wanted the left lane too and proceeded into my lane (no turn signal). I hit the horn and the brakes but he kept coming. When I got into the right lane and started to pass him (doing the speed limit). I looked over and it was a senior citizen who seemed to oblivious to what the accident he almost caused. My guess is his hearing isn't too good. Since luck was on my side, I empathize with your tragedy.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ah yes the daily Florida run off the road by the senior senior citizen. Never saw you before...during..or after. Left turn signal still on. Does 65 in town....40 on the highway in lane #1. Good times.

5. tlaine

tlaine New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    His insurance lady said his statement to them was that he didnt see me, didnt know where I came from or anything and that maybe he thought I came from a side street or something. Even though I was coming straight down the road in the same lane before he pulled out to cross over the road and hit me. I realized too late that he was pulling out, I know I was reaching to hit my horn and only assume I was able to just lay my hand on it before he hit me and the airbag went off. Right after the horn was still going till I was able to figure out how to get it to go off by jiggling the steering wheel.

I dont think there is any excuse he can use for not double checking before he pulled out like he did, he just flat out did not pay attention. The guy was 53. I can only assume that maybe he did look both ways first, but then got distracted for a few seconds before he decided to pull out, which then he should have looked both ways again but didnt. Who know's... all I know is that this accident was NOT my fault in any way. I only assume what may have happend because he was from out of state, possibly on business? I dont recall seeing what he may have been doing when he was pulling out (ie cell phone, shuffling papers), all I saw was a large white SUV pulling out into me in the 2 seconds that it happend in.

So love your Prius, your going to sorely miss it when it's gone due to some idiot not paying attention. :*(

6. Woodman

Woodman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    another Ebay "salvage" title car in the making. Hope you're OK.

7. Prianista

Prianista Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    First, I'm glad you are well enough to share your experiences here. Over the years, many of us have written on this site of accidents where the Prius was totaled but the car was not hit in such a way as to deploy an airbag.

It's good that the insurance company is offering more than enough to pay off your loan. However, isn't the more important question whether they are offering enough to replace the car. In my state (Washington) that means a car of the same year, with similar milage and similar options.

If you haven't already done so, you might gather information from your state's insurance regulator about the obligations of the insurance company. You should also ask to see the information the insurance company used to estimate the replacement value of the car. You should make sure any comparable sales they quote are truly comparable, since I doubt there are very many used 2008 Touring Edition Priuses with pkg 5 for sale in any part of the country.

And yes, Prius withdrawl is AWFUL. Mere mortal cars are just so inadequate.

Good luck and take care of yourself.

8. Troika

Troika New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Tlaine ...
    Sorry to hear about the accident.. ouch...
    I like the look of the set of wheels on your prius.
    Can you give me the details about the wheels and tire.
    Thanks .. Troika of VA.

9. charansr

charansr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey Trokia.. they are the stock 16" touring wheels..They come standard with the Touring package..

cheers!

10. tlaine

tlaine New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Yep, just standard touring wheels =)

11. lucky1

lucky1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Tlaine-- I had the same thing happen to my Prius taxi last Tuesday. I was supposed to hear by today what the status is but did not receive a call.
    It was quite painful to put 60 litres of gas in my Honda Accord taxi just 24 hours after topping it up. Glad I kept the Honda as a back up car but am not looking forward to the gas bills I will have to pay until I get my Prius back.
    Hope yours turns out ok.

12. tlaine

tlaine New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Sorry to keep this thread going, but this is my last post on it. We got the new car last night, we still need leather in it (going with non perforated leather this time).

All in all, we did good. :) I was really afraid that we'd end up having to pay more, but so far, we've ended up with two years less on the loan than the previous car. :thumb:

I am happy. Although I'm still nervous about driving. I hope we have this new one for years and years. :D

Thank you all so much for your supporting words, it was and is very much appreciated. :) You guys rock! :cheer2: